funniest thing a coach has ever said about your dancing

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by fascination, Oct 4, 2007.

1. Sania

Sania Active Member

Based on empirical evidence, I sometimes think the probability of a collision increases as the number of couples decreases, and if you want to be sure of a collision or near miss, it's best to start with only two couples on the floor :)
    BD4L likes this.
  2. Sania

Sania Active Member

Sorry about the duplicate post above - I kept getting a server time out error. [taken care of! moderated by latingal]

My former partner had a good ability to mimic things he saw on video. This was before ballroom on YouTube so we watched our few precious OSB and world super star videos over and over.

In a jive lesson our coach said "Jesse - what are you doing?". Partner: "but Pro X does it like this" (imitates Pro X again). Coach: "Jesse - from now on I only want you to watch Slavik. Do you understand me? _Only_ Slavik"
    chomsky, ajiboyet and Miss Silly like this.
  3. UMASSshoesandcostumes

UMASSshoesandcostumes Active Member

During one of our coachings our team goes to on Mambo our coach saw my partner and I doing-- I don't know if they have a technical name, but they're kicks where one partner turns around the other, and then both partners kick on the same line and then the second partner goes around and you kick again on the same line, I've only ever heard them called the "Mambo kicks". Anyway she was watching us and she says "Guys, hold on one second, take the bounce out of that, remember there is a fine line between dancing those Mambo kicks and folk dancing."
  4. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

CONCUR we were in a two couple final at galaxy and the other dude ( a notorious floor hoggin pro ) ran into me

WTH and they still won LOL
  5. samina

samina Well-Known Member

I'm sure most standard dancers have experienced & heard the exact same thing. I know I have... :)
    Miss Silly likes this.
  6. twnkltoz

twnkltoz Well-Known Member

I was in a WCS peer critique session/workshop with Ben McHenry recently. I got up to dance for my critique. I had been given a bunch of stuff to work on, so I was thinking about all of them and trying to dance as well as I could. Ben said, "I like how technically focused you are. Unfortunately, I can see how technically focused you are."

*face-palm*
  7. twnkltoz

twnkltoz Well-Known Member

Yeah. I always say I'm awesome at standing still.
    latingal, ajiboyet and Miss Silly like this.
  8. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

im gonna use that one thanks!!
    twnkltoz likes this.
  9. BD4L

BD4L Member

I get this comment frequently from my coaches, I have trouble turning my brain off when I'm supposed to be just dancing.
    chomsky likes this.
  10. anntennis

anntennis Active Member

- Foxtrot: “You are not boulevard walking in foxtrot!”
    - Rumba: “No windows shopping please!”
    - Rumba: “You have to tease me, not like “Here I am!)
    - Rumba: “You have to show that you want me, and not that hot guy in the audience!”
  11. TinyDancer109

TinyDancer109 Well-Known Member

"Make fun of me - you do it right when you are trying to make fun of me."
    JudeMorrigan likes this.
  12. TwoRightFeet

TwoRightFeet Active Member

Well, it wasn't actually a coach, but a costume designer measuring me for a latin outfit. But I thought it was funny anyway:

Me with dry sense of humor: "Can you make the shirt look like I have big muscles?"

Russian costume designer with dry sense of humor: "Lots of men wear their shirts tight to show off their muscles." ..........

Long pause as she looks down at my puny, non-muscular body.......

".... But you are not there yet."
    Gorme, NonieS and Joe like this.
  13. manteca

manteca Member

This was our baptism into really starting to compete ...

My partner and I were preparing for a competition on our own because our coach had left town for a couple of weeks, so we arranged for a visiting coach to come in and make sure we were on the right track with the new choreography.

When he entered he said, ok let's see the routine. So in great excitement we went through and beautifully executed the choreography. Breathless with excitement we turn to the coach, and he says, ok you know how to execute the choreography. Now I would like to see you dance it. Ack!

So after an hour of coaching and on a super-high we finally dance the choreography into the ground! Pleased with ourselves we turn to the coach and he says, great you can dance the choreography. Now I'd like to see you perform it. :)

See that's why I love this sport, it just never seems to end.
    dancelvr, mindputtee, chomsky and 4 others like this.
  14. samina

samina Well-Known Member

Good coach. :)
  15. chomsky

chomsky Well-Known Member

oh so so nice...
  16. flightco

flightco Active Member

After practicing for a week some of the things my instructor wanted me to work on - at the next lesson she had me go through what I had practiced, then we tried it together. After a few bars of the music she stopped and gave me one of those looks. I said "I am much better without a partner - or music."
    chomsky, Gorme and debmc like this.
  17. LT

LT Member

After going into a Right Lunge in the Waltz... Coach looks at me and says, "You are not the flower; I am the flower. Shape me." :rolleyes:
    manteca, latingal, Sania and 2 others like this.
  18. chomsky

Coach says...spread your legs...spread them...you're gonna fall!!!Then I say...I can't feel you from behind!...the first comment while doing sliding doors...the second was natural top...
    manteca, latingal and twnkltoz like this.
  19. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Well-Known Member

I get 'open your legs for me'... not sure if that's better or worse than yours!
    latingal, twnkltoz and chomsky like this.
  20. chomsky

Wow!!!we rock!!!
    FancyFeet likes this.