funniest thing a coach has ever said about your dancing

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by fascination, Oct 4, 2007.

1. Jayant

Jayant New Member

Rofl!!! Nice view.

2. standardgirl

standardgirl New Member

interestingly enough, I have heard the exact same word said to me. and yeah...it works ;)

3. samina

samina Well-Known Member

that puzzled me when fasc first said it... and it still does. if it was "give the man your right breast" i'd get it... makes me feel like i'm missing something.:rolleyes:

the context is standard?

4. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Interesting, b/c it's one of the few things in the ballroom forum that actually makes sense to me. Well, so does your version of it, to be fair.

When dancing with one teacher, F's version is what I'd keep in mind; when dancing with another, yours is. I think (could be wildly, horribly, stupidly wrong) it goes back to differences in frame/hold/whatever that you asked about ages ago. Some thread title like "advanced hold" or some such. I remember the discussion between "spiraling" around (in which case the left side makes sense) v. "corkscrewing" away (right side). I think those were the terms used.

5. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

well sam...and I hesitate to try this again, um...you must give him both...but depending upon what one is doing (IMO) it serves a useful purpose to focus more on one than the other...ie...if I am going into promenade and I tend to open up too much, THAT is definately a right boob moment...I migh also add that if you aren't a "boob" person, it is just as useful to isolate your back muscles and think of which ones should be most engaged to MAINTAIN your position while moving...b/c that is all it is really about...staying in position...and however you successfully wrap your mind around that concept for various types of movement

6. Josh

Josh Active Member

First of all, it depends on the size of the breasts in question. Sorry, but it had to be said.

Okay, so, when in closed, most women with a partner of matching height will find their right breast touching the man in closed position. However, it's the left side that's picked up and forward to the man (not back weighted, as it's often misunderstood to be). So, likely the left breast will not be touching the man (don't have a lady here to test this with right now, as I don't pay so much attention to that when I dance ;-) ), despite it being lifted up and stretched forward--this is because of the offset position of the lady, and her rotation around the partnership. Hence, "give it to the man." Hope this helps!

7. Judi Hatton

Judi Hatton New Member

OK guys, how’s this one…… during a standard coaching while I was an amateur competitior in England, my partner was asked if he usually had trouble staying on time. When he replied in a puzzled tone, “No.....?” the (very famous) coach responded “That’s amazing!” Your shoulders are so high I am astounded that you can hear the music!

8. mamboqueen

mamboqueen Well-Known Member

good one!

9. DancingJools

DancingJools Member

"Don't be a hooker".
    I heard that one yesterday, in the context of explaining connection and whether or not the lady "hooks" into her hand connection with the man.
    The point was, the connection should be through the body, not the hand (this is Latin, obviously).

10. DanceMentor

DanceMentor Administrator

English coach: "That was one vicious Foxtrot"
    Female Russian Latin Coach: "I need to shi_" and then walks out the door. What had happened is she needed a tissue, and she reversed the syllables in the word "tissue", so it sounded like she was going #2 and then returning. :)

11. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

Oyyy....I resemble that remark...

12. fascination

love it...glad pro doesn't lurk....am constantly getting my traps and shoulders petted as a reminder to stop trying to muscle my way through things:rolleyes:

13. fascination

recently...and I won't name names...I had a coach tell me to stop "coming onto his buttons"....

14. Tzah

Tzah New Member

"*** is that bra made of?"

"Um...I dunno?"

"Well, Christ... your t!ts feel like they're made of concrete!"

"GEEZ, *coach*... SO SORRY to give you a HARD TIME.."

"But you're missing the POINT..."

"Apparently you aren't..."

"Point..."

"Two.."

"Two-che..."

I less-than-three my studio!

15. hereKittyKitty

hereKittyKitty Administrator Staff Member

"Your dancing is so robotic- you need to make it squishy like toothpaste" Rumba:p
    "Your popping up-think of a plunger. Squish into the floor" Samba;)

16. NielsenE

NielsenE Active Member

"Can you count?"

(actually it wasn't about my dancing, but teacher asking if I could double check her count of the number of entries on a competition form.... )

17. jwlinson

jwlinson Member

"You're being too nice. Stop being so nice. Think of something that gets you angry."

re: my IS Tango technique.

18. chandra

chandra New Member

(About WCS)

(I laugh about this one now, wasn't laughing at the time. It went along with being told I was unteachable)
    "You're musicality is phenominal, but, um, your not dancing WCS... I dont actually know what your dancing..."

(WCS routine)
    "its in the knees! Not a pelvic thrust, and not a bunny hop!"

(WCS routine - had to slap pros a** at the end, was to glamorous by fergie - "if you aint got no money take your broke *slap* home")
    "Thats not my a**, thats my back. Aim for the unmentionables!"
    (After missing again)
    "good gosh, its a big enough target area!"

19. samina

samina Well-Known Member

"that was... monolithic..."

(every dancer just loves being compared to a giant immoveable stone structure, heh...)

20. White Chacha

White Chacha Active Member

"A bit wimpy, I'm afraid" (imagine the English accent).

OK, maybe not so funny ;-)