Funny Names for Moves

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by DanceMentor, Sep 16, 2003.

1. DanceMentor

DanceMentor Administrator

Right side pass where the lady's hand passes around the man's waste = Feel the Tire or Feel the Six Pack

Raising the Right Hand for an Underarm Turn Right - John Travolta

Stepping faster than the man - Premature Stepulation

Do you have any funny names for moves?

2. Danish Guy

Danish Guy New Member

Some combo names for my memory notes, I invent by my self

Karate Hardcore.

Childs play.

Drop Catch Jesus.

Around the neck to check.

Gentlemen’s impressive wild spin.

3. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

LOL!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

You MUST describe the drop catch Jesus move!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

4. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

More . . .

Rag Doll
    I go/you go
    Woman on Top
    He-Shes
    In and Out Burger
    Phantom Turns
    Duck Walks
    Attitude Turns
    Knee Dips

Oh, will this ever end???

5. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

How could you all leave out such classics as the octopus (the move, not the overly "friendly" lead) or the egg beater?

6. pygmalion

The egg beater, as in the hustle move, where you pause and do the arm thing? OOOOh! I HATE that one! :lol: :lol:

7. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

Hey Jenn,
    Wait until you try that move in a 2 Step or a Polka. It's doable!

8. pygmalion

How???? :lol: :lol: :lol:

9. MissAlyssa

MissAlyssa New Member

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

10. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

Just wait until you attend your first C&W competition . . . you'll see it being done.

I don't do it, as I'm more into Swing/Hustle/NC2s/Cha dancing. Just haven't learned it yet. My wife does it in two of her routines . . .

11. Danish Guy

Danish Guy New Member

Ok, here it is.
    I have rewritten my notes to make it a little more readable to others.
    Do note the description is from the leaders point of view.

I use the combo on regular basics, often as a part of some other moves.

It properly got an official name, but I named it

Drop Catch Jesus
    Left hand to Lady’s right hand turn.
    When she is turned 180´ you turn 180 left.
    End with your back to the lady’s front, and your left hand on your right shoulder. Drop her hand, and then catch it with your right hand behind your back. Do a forward mambo step on 1-2-3 under this.
    (Its important to drop her hand ASAP, before she thinks you wants her left hand, and not her dropped right hand).
    Turn right against her on 5, and present your left hand midair in catch position.
    (It’s important to present the hand visible for her as soon as possible, so she gets a chance to grab It).
    Grab her hand, and immediately pull it out left, ending in Jesus on the cross position, your legs apart, her back to your front, your arm muscles tense.
    Lady does her look good stuff of her choice, and signals stop with a break.
    Spin her back with a 1½ right turn.
    Open cross body.

Have Fun.

12. pygmalion

This is a totally cool move, and nothing like I was envisioning. I was seeing something that involved a dip or a lift. This one, even can do. Will print out and try it with my coach Monday!

Thanks. :D

Jenn

13. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

It works for me too! I did some minor hand changes to it, but I understand what you're trying to get through to us . . . thanks.

14. Danish Guy

Danish Guy New Member

Cool 8)

I went over the hands thing, and changed a left to right. :oops:

The edit is in blue.

Properly what Vince noticed!
    I use it in salsa, but maybe it work in dances too!

15. Phil Owl

Phil Owl Active Member

Pot Stir or Cork Screw (seen this done in Hustle, Salsa and C&W)

A particularly difficult move I'm guessing (but it looks soooo cool and even sexy!). My description may not be the greatest but here goes.

Starts off with the lady low to the floor kneeling, her left leg is extended to her left. Man is standing just behind her, his right hand holding her right. Man spins lady clockwise and she gradually returns to full standing postion while turning.

Hope that made some sense.

16. mellody43

mellody43 New Member

How about the Roman Fingers move?

(Get it? "Roamin'?" Oh forget it.)

;-)

Melissa

17. My salsa teacher taught me a combination that she called the "F*** You" because the arm movements near the end resembled the Italian gesture for that expression.

Sometimes she didn't bother to give them names, so I had to name them myself (but I don't have my notes with me).

18. I liked her maverick attitude sometimes, but it makes it hard to communicate with others about the moves I do (though I don't think that is intentional on her part). She was inconsistent though, so she would use terms like "hammer-lock" which are standard. Also, she came from a ballet background, so occasionally she would throw ballet terms at me and I would have no idea what she was talking about.

19. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

I don't find names are not that important anyway!! Best way of communicating them is leading them well. Unless you want to discuss it with us. Then just describe the move in detail, and it all works out!! :)

20. MadamSamba

MadamSamba Member

Wow, our dance moves have boring names, but the one that sticks most in my mind is a twinkle... :) It's suitably elegant for new vogue (sequence dancing particular to Australia), but at the same time, it's kinda corny.