Getting a Firm Foundation

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by DanceMentor, Nov 14, 2004.

1. DanceMentor

DanceMentor Administrator

When I see different teachers or classes in Tango Argentino, it seems that the standards vary considerably from teacher to teacher. The patterns are different. The dance position is different. Where do you begin to define the "core" of Argentine Tango?

As a followup question, which teachers, old or young, would you say best offer a good foundation in tango? (ex. Copes)

2. newbie

newbie Active Member

I got the same impression when I started, that every teacher was teaching his own tango. Now, as a seasoned beginner, I think that in the long run they're all teaching the same things, but in a different order. For instance Some of them begin with the open abrazo and then also demonstrate the close one, while others begin with the abrazo and then switch. Or some insist first on being on the beat, while others focus on the lead/follow mechanisms. But in the end they're all going to the same destination, they're just taking different ways.

As for the core, I had one teacher who in one year never tought us even one sequence (not even the salida); instead she tought us how to dissociate, how to be aware of partner's weight changes, how to listen to the music (not only the beat), how to lead with minimal indications. I found all this so difficult and boring that I left, but in retrospect I would recommand this kind of teacher.

3. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

I was taught this way too, but seen other approaches, but I would recommnend this way. I have danced with people taaught by other appraoches and they take a lot longer before they can follow but they're allowing the expectation of a sequence rather 'listeneing' to what is being led.

So I think core skills are connection, leading and following, balance and posture.

4. DanceMentor

DanceMentor Administrator

And is there a pretty consistent approach among top teachers as far as the elements and patterns?