Getting criticised on my tango walk by a newbie!

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by aaah, Jan 25, 2013.

1. Lilly_of_the_valley

Lilly_of_the_valley Well-Known Member

Step double time bringing your feet together, and the next step is in parallel. Does not require any additional space, either. Not mentioning, could be better fitting with the music...
  2. dchester

dchester Moderator Staff Member

OK, it's just a semantics thing. I consider that coming out in parallel.
  3. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

This is pretty much what Kathryn Murray wrote in Murray's 1964 booklet, "Arthur Murray's Dance Course" in the section on "Dance Etiquette."
    My story is that I took AT classes for 6 months before I even went to a practica. Why? "Once you have accepted an invitation to a dance, you have automatically agreed to live up to the obligations it implies. You are expected ... above all, to be able to dance."
    Sounds a lot more 40s than 60s, don't you think?
    I agree that if you go to a milonga and dance with someone, you should be able to at least do basic AT.
    And of course there are lots of caveats to this.
  4. AndaBien

AndaBien Well-Known Member

I do not want to argue with you or challenge anything you've said. I'm just asking for clarification. I thought you said you would not do a step unless it was clearly led, that you would not made adjustments at a milonga for the sake of a poor leader. If that's not what you said, please explain it to me.

It's my impression that followers often try to "help out" their partner in numerous ways, because they just want to, for whatever reason.
  5. Lilly_of_the_valley

I would not back lead or change the weight on my own or guess what he was trying to lead and execute the step on my own. If it did not work, it did not work. We have to agree that it happens, and it does not have to make the leader (or follower for that matter) feel "poor".
    There are better ways for a follower to help a less experienced leader, among them, knowing the music very well, having a great balance, not noticing and counting his "mistakes", being relaxed, calm, and patient, including in a most physical way -- waiting for the lead instead of guessing the step and jumping into it...
    Interestingly, I find when I do that, very often the lead becomes clearer, people dance better, and the whole thing just works out better.
    sixela and Mladenac like this.
  6. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

I think "basic AT" is a good subject for another argument. I'm sure in BsAs milongas they don't want basic AT dancers on the floor.
  7. dchester

This I really like.
  8. LoveTango

LoveTango Member

I tried to "correct" a leader at an advanced workshop while I was a newbie. I was so bad that I had no clue where I was. The best way to handle this situation is probably stop dancing with her for a while.
  9. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

How about " I appreciate your enthusiasm for the dance, but my need is to dance my own style, not to imitate someone elses." (polite)
    or
    "Shut the f***k up." (direct)
    twnkltoz likes this.
  10. DerekWeb

DerekWeb Active Member

Just smile and say thank you. If it is a beginner, why would you get upset?
  11. Bailamosdance

Bailamosdance Well-Known Member

Deja Vu? There were many replies to this thread over the last few weeks...
  12. Zoopsia59

Zoopsia59 Well-Known Member

13. dchester

I wonder if it's the same newbie making the rounds and imparting her wisdom.

:D
    Bailamosdance and bordertangoman like this.
  14. Zoopsia59

I think it's the same poster starting a new thread. Probably because the original one went off on tangents, which of curse, this one will do as well.;)
  15. Lilly_of_the_valley

Or he wanted to start the same thread on a different forum, but got confused. :)
  16. sixela

sixela Active Member

Someone who's always generalising doesn't understand why it's dangerous :-9.
    Bailamosdance likes this.
  17. sixela

sixela Active Member

"You should dance more with passion"

The only answer is 'you should be more wary of clichés'.

The 'passion' is something that a beginner doesn't know. If that's what you're looking for, you'll never find 'it', even though I don't think 'passion' is a good word for it. It'll hit you when you least expect it, but you'll shake your head at the ugly word 'passion' is for what just crossed your path and how different it is from 'the passion' you thought you'd come across when you naively started to learn this dance.

I might add that 'tango, the passion' is an idiom that sends shivers through my spine despite the fact I met my wife at tango more than 20 years ago.
    twnkltoz and Gssh like this.
  18. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

TC.....can you merge these ?
  19. Terpsichorean Clod

Terpsichorean Clod Moderator

20. Zoopsia59

I so love this answer, that I'm going to start finding uses for it everywhere!