Getting people into ballroom dancing, and modern music

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by EdwinNJ, Oct 7, 2012.

1. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

it is my experience that if you want to be heard, you can't speak of your target with disrespect, regardless of what you may happen to feel ...it is easy to point out perceived problems and theoretical solutions.... it is however, more laudable to quietly begin to work on it, one person at a time, on your own...as you are only in control of what YOU do..which can inspire people or turn them off...and it is all in how you treat them and the care with which you select your words

2. fascination

as to the other points...yes, we have a music section here...wit some contemporary song and some "not"....but, if one is truly motivated, one could spend hours adding songs there which would be a true service to the community...

as to teaching single step...unless a person states that they are on a competition track, I have never known them to be taught triple step first in the places where I was learning to dance....

in general, thanks to various video games, zumba and dwts, we are enjoying a youth population as interested in dance as in any other time in history...some of that will be to my taste, some of it will not....but, the youth that I come into contact with these days are bright and open to a variety of forms of dance and I see no correlation between behavior and piercings or tats...

3. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

Actually way back when, I had to walk to school, uphills, both ways....

When I taught an intro lesson, and it has't been a really really long time, but I do recall that I taught EITHER triple or single time. It was completely dependent on the student. One size does not fit all, and there are plenty of students who can manage a triple step right off the bat. But swing would probably not be the very first dance I had shown them, so there was plenty of time through out the lesson, doing other stuff, that would clue me into which version was going to Work Best For That Person.

Leon Theou likes this.
  4. EdwinNJ

EdwinNJ Member

Hey guys, I AM young. I'm 26. So you know when I'm saying it, its objectively true. My generation is... well, they're kind of retarded. Is that not allowed on the site? OK, dumb.
    Know how you're baffled by your adult-age kids? It's because they're objectively baffling.
    All this shifting to trash culture isn't a change in tastes, it's a devolution.

Anyway, yeah, I get that the old music can sometimes be easier for steps or more obvious with the rhythm, but modern stuff is also easy enough for simple dances (cha-cha in Lady Gaga might be hard to hear), and it would really enthuse young people to TAKE UP DANCING in the first place. REMEMBER! there is always an initial precipice where a person decides whether they want to pursue a hobby. You want to make them decide to do so.

5. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

...Did you miss the half a dozen posts where people have said that music is ALREADY IN USE? I think the first time I ever heard anything by Lady Gaga was at a competition. (I don't listen to music as a general rule.)

Also, I would be hesitant to assume that everyone posting on this thread is in fact old enough to have "adult-age" kids. I can tell you for a fact at least one is definitely NOT old enough to be your mother. And works with people in your general age who are not in fact "retarded."

Larinda McRaven likes this.
  6. Leon Theou

Leon Theou Active Member

I'm 22, and I know that one of the other responders is 20 (I cannot speak for the ages of anyone else, but I am sure that there are many more Gen Y-era on these forums). Why is what we say any less objectively true than what you say? All you did is stage a red herring in the form of a fallacious argument from authority. You seem less concerned with making dance popular among the members of our shared generation, and more concerned with saving society from this "trash culture" boogeyman that you have created in your mind. Speaking of which, maybe it's just the former anthropology student in me, but there are no good and bad cultures. Cultures change over time, but it is not evolution or devolution, it's just neutral. you ,ay not understand a culture, but that does not make it bad. I don't get the appeal of catching and eating lobsters, as they are basically aquatic bugs. I live in New England, and lobstering and clambakes are part of the culture of the region. Do I create a great row over the decline of Western civilization? No, instead, I don't eat lobster, and whover wants to eat it can go right ahead. In fact, they can have an extra lobster for me.

JudeMorrigan likes this.
  7. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

I think much now has been said of the subject of generation bashing, may I kindly ask now that we get back to discussing dancing now?

Until then I will be eating Leon's lobster thank you.....

Lioness likes this.
  8. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

I fear your attitude is are rather old-fashioned.

You havn´t! Old music always is more difficult. Seems as if you actually do not know old music, only that modern retro-genized dance school music for beginners.

dbk and Bailamosdance like this.
  9. Lioness

Lioness Well-Known Member

In terms of swing, I've found that the music is often quite difficult to dance to, beat-wise...it's almost always older music, too.

Then again, that could just be me being used to jive music, but swing is difficult, IMO, to find modern songs that really fit the feel of the dance.

I find ballroom and latin somewhat easier...in fact, when I wasn't inundated with Uni things, I made a list of quite a lot of modern music that could be danced to. In my experience, it doesn't really make a whole lot of difference in getting people initially interested in dance. Modern music and a modern attitude (and I think the attitude is more important) is beneficial to retaining young people who dance, but you've got to get them interested first.

In the US, from what I can tell with collegiate clubs and such, there is a much, much larger young dance community than in Australia. People tend to dance as kids because their parents make them, or because they are the children of dancers. Interest dies out a whole lot in the teens category, and then starts to hike up again in the adult section. The highest proportion of new competitive dancers is by far the over 35 and over 50 categories.

10. Bailamosdance

Bailamosdance Well-Known Member

Personally, I classify music as liked or disliked, not new or old. Same with people!

Silmarwen, debmc, stash and 4 others like this.
  11. fascination

a) yes, retarded is a term offensive to many...we take pains here, most of us, to care not to offend others

b)one's age shouldn't automatically invalidate their point, it may perhaps influence one's capacity to recieve one...apparently

d) you have now schooled this dance community on what it ought to do for your generation, and mostly disregarded the important points that others have made about how those scenarios are already in place in many venues.... that being said, there is really nothing left to do but to actually make a contribution yourself....feel free to update our music section....or speak to the powers that be in the industry, though (should you happen to choose the latter) you might want to think about speaking respectfully--- which is in style at any age--- and indicates a degree of maturity and dedication (that you are willing to moderate yourself in order to actually do something of value)...so, I suggest you actually go do something about this rather than barking at the moon

12. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

Oddly enough, there seems to be very little interest in single time swing around here. Everybody wants to learn triple swing, even though some of the music they dance it to is too fast for it. DW and I dance all three of single, double, and triple, although some of the fancy steps I've never made the effort to work out in double. To be honest, ECS in general is not my or my DW's absolutely favorite dance. We keep saying we're going to take some lindy lessons, but so far we haven't found the time.

13. fascination

dh and I were taught single and triple, as social dancers, on the same lesson....dh wanted/needed to stick with single most of the time....sometimes we still dance it with him doing single and me doing triple :)...that seemed to be the way they offered it in the area...to show both...but most seemed to switch to triple once they felt comfortable with jitterbug and could grasp how easy it was to add the triple in...probably mostly because at socials everyone was doing ecs, so single swing stopped being useful very quickly around here....

14. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

I like that guy, he raised the bar higher for social dancing.

15. stash

stash Well-Known Member

Being 20, i am ofended by your assumptions. I love ballroom, new and old music a like, and didn't just come to ballroom just because of the music. I got into it because it looked fun. It lightened my heart. And it opened up a family to me, among many other things. Don't get me wrong, I love being able to dance to my modern favorites, but I adore some of the older swanky music as well.

Also some assumptions that the people in ballroom are way classier than those who are tattooed grinding in clubs, I think you would be surprised how many dancers have tattoos or have some other extracurricular activities that are, lets say, less than classy. You know what they say about assuming.....

16. EdwinNJ

EdwinNJ Member

LOL, because of the nature of "objective truth". Two claims that negate each other cannot both be objectively true. If you're a student... well you gotta work on your understanding better.

Anyway, people are griping on my generation thing too much. It's just something that bugs me, and I'd like to have more in common, more relatability, with more people in my generation.
    Here's an example, I was once trying to dance with this girl at a bar, trying to show her a little something, but she wouldn't put her beer down. What on earth are you going to do with only one hand paired to your partner? She'd rather drink and bounce around like an idiot than learn something, do real dancing, which yeah, sure, would involve calming down, paying attention and using coordination, but that can be far more fun.
    It's like alot of my generation goes out of their way to conform to some frat-boy partier standard.

That's just my thing.

But yeah, I downloaded a lot of songs, a lot of Madonna and Kylie Minogue, it's now in a Hustle mix, I've been grooving to that as I drive. I'll post it if/when I figure out how to get a text list from the list of songs in my itunes program.

17. mjnemeth

mjnemeth Member

Ive been going to monthly swing dance for about 5 year at Central Jersey dance society. ECS is taught pre-dance about 3-4 times years. Only once
    was double Swing taught and one other time mentioned . I can only remember once when triple swing was taught. Mostly its single.
    Now there alway one Charkeston lesson a year and probable one Balboa lesson the rest being WCS and lindy.

I wonder if triple is a studio thing to make it easier to learn WCS and lindy ( Actually asking if this seam true to others?

18. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

You think you are the first generation that acts this way? Honey, frat boy mentality has been annoying all along. Watch Revenge of the Nerds, and you will see the same stupid behavior from your parents time. It is not new. Maybe it is new to YOU, you are young and haven't seen the bigger world yet... but trust me you aren't complaining about anything that the GenX people didn't complain about... and your grandparents too...

"darn these kids today.... no respect I tell ya!" (as I bang my walking stick in the ground, shake my fist, and hobble away...)

19. Ice Bucket

Ice Bucket Member

On the contrary. Leon's got the point and you, unfortunately, haven't. He was calling you on your assumption that it's your view that's objectively true.

Returning to an earlier post, the word 'retarded' is genuinely offensive. Please show a bit of respect for your fellow person.

I'm not going to get angry, however, because there is a member of the next generation wriggling on the floor eight feet from me. :):p

20. dbk

dbk Well-Known Member

But but but nothing is more attractive and fun to dance with than being told "no, you're dancing wrong"!

Bleh. Look, Edwin - if you were trying to get someone at a bar to dance like they were at a ballroom social, you were the one out of line. Go to a social if you want to dance that way.

Larinda McRaven likes this.