Getting people into ballroom dancing, and modern music

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by EdwinNJ, Oct 7, 2012.

1. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

I'm trying to figure out this thread... it seems to be in multiple directions. As far as triple step swing.. that is the swing I learnt right away, it was not hard to pick up, and I have no idea what the other swing alternative is. In reference to music, yes, I do agree that having a variety of music, both the traditional and the new might appeal more to everyone and I think across this forums there are many sites where various music is listed from a variety of sources. I agree that it can be really cool to discover that a song you thought of one way, can be danced as a chacha or a waltz, etc, etc. From what I gather from your situation Edwin, it sounds like you want to do some ballroom dancing to more modern songs.. so I would suggest you take the classes, and start going to ballroom socials, because you probably won't convince anyone at a traditional nightclub with no ballroom training that this Lady Gaga song can be done on the spot as a chacha. There are some studios that have a younger population than others, so you might find all that you need in that scenario. Invite your friends to the lessons and socials, show your gender how much fun ballroom can be and how you can still dance to current favorites. You can be the one to make the changes that you seek! I am not in favor of your wording but I like your enthusiasm.

2. stash

stash Well-Known Member

Agreed. I don't want suggestions unless I ask for them--and I only ask those who I know very well and I know are 10394920 times better than I am. If a guy tries to tell me something at a social dance that I don't know and he starts trying to correct me, I shut off and never really dance with that him again. It may seem rude on my end, but I don't know if you are good, and you don't know my dance history. All you know is probably my name--if that, at a social dance. Social dances are about having fun, not about being forced to learn unless specifically asked.

IndyLady likes this.
  3. EdwinNJ

EdwinNJ Member

No, he was negating the definition/semantics of the word "objective". Either my view is objectively true or it isn't, like anything else with regards to veracity. The other issues are provability, availability of data, etc.
    I'm not assuming my view is true, I'm claiming it is. And I'm not doing so simply because it is my view.
    But let's face it, you know there's something there. When people can dress up as though they look like freggin clowns, you know you got a problem. I just saw this guy the other day at the Matawan QuickCheck, had tattoos all over his arms, thick hipster glases, a handlebar mustache, a barbell nose piercing, anbd ear piercings all over his ears. It's ridiculous. No generation of people from any large civilization ever dressed like this.

And it wasn't always like this. Come on, one of our ballroom dances is from the disco era - hustle. Those were also the days of Soul Train, and dancing like that, while not as structured as ballroom, at least it's still some planned, coordinated rhythmic movement. I guess it all went downhill after that

And a girl should be able to stop drinking for 5 seconds and actually, you know, dance, if she wants to dance, rather than bouncing around like an idiot (which she and every other person I've seen dancing at a club that doesn't have a specific ballroom or Western orientation has done. Always just stupid bouncing and hand pumping). But we have no standards anymore and no expectations from people so stuff like that passes. Heck, people make fun of disco for being cheesy, and look at what these kids do.

You know there's something to what I'm saying. At the very least I'm sure you're not fans of the Jersey Shore people. Ohhhh, now all of a sudden Edwin has a point. There's a reason they exist now and not any other time before.

Anyway, it's a small point, enough griping about it. The main point was how to get people into ballroon dancing, and the main thing is you dont want to scare them away with overly difficult moves, or a sense of irrelevance.
    Really if I had stuck with triple step I may not have continued. It sucked the fun out of it, I wasn't even learning dancing it ended up being so robotic.

4. stash

stash Well-Known Member

I agree you save the big scary steps until much later, once you have them hooked. This is one of the reasons why we teach rumba, then cha-cha, then jive to our newcomers. Rumba being the most basic, cha-cha being similar but faster to rumba (though we do start them out with rumba music then speed it up). Then jive--being the most different for newbies and the fastest. And we start out with slower swing music to begin with. However, there is no single step option in jive, just the tripple step.

5. GGinrhinestones

GGinrhinestones Well-Known Member

Honestly, I can't believe I'm bringing myself into this discussion, but...first mistake: you were trying to TEACH a girl to dance in a BAR. Which is really two mistakes. Third mistake: you're a guy, so I understand if you are completely oblivious to this little bit of trivia: women with half a brain do not put down their beer and turn their back on an open drink for the maybe or maybe-not well-meaning guy who is trying to distract them in a bar. That is Safety 101 for women.

As for music, my teacher generally dislikes the "old stuff" and gets bored listening to the same thing over and over again, so our studio generally only plays "modern music" as you call it - no matter the dance style. I learned to cha cha to Santana and Lady Gaga, and learned ECS to Flo Rida and Guns N Roses. I grew up on Frank Sinatra and Dean Martin - thanks to my mother. Dancing opened my appreciation to pretty much all latin music. That is part of the beauty of dancing.

As for swing (and here I agree with Deb...I have completely lost the purpose of this thread), single step is used as an intro to triple step. But, as others have stated, single step becomes obsolete quickly because after a lesson or two, most people are ready to move on.

I agree with all those here who say that if you really feel that strongly about it a) drop the rudeness b) drop the ranting c) do something about it that does not involve a or b.

And with that, I am bowing out of this thread.

jjs914, Larinda McRaven and Lioness like this.
  6. dbk

dbk Well-Known Member

How to get people into ballroom dancing? Insulting, vaguely racist, entitled, and holier-than-thou complaining - not the way.

You get people into ballroom by showing them a few easy steps for free, and by providing them a venue to actually practice and use their new dance skills if they find it interesting. And then you sit back and realize that - no matter how much you like it - ballroom isn't for everyone. People are different from you, they don't always like what you like, and that's OK.

7. Lioness

Lioness Well-Known Member

You know what? I'm from a young generation. I'm younger than you. I love ballroom dancing to bits, and I love dancing to modern music.

I also love dressing up all hot and "bouncing around" in nightclubs. Free-for-all, rhythmic dancing can be so incredibly fun. There is a time and a place for ballroom dancing, and that's at a social or studio. There is a time and a place for club dancing, and that's in a club.

There is nothing more superior about either one. Acting like an old crotchety grump does not do you any credit.

Echoing GG, too. There is no way I would ever put my drink down in a club, or at a bar. Ever. You leave that drink unattended, you have no idea what's going to be in it when you turn back around. If a guy came up and tried to ballroom or latin dance with me in a club, I would ignore him, and just keep on my merry way, even though I'm a ballroom dancer.

There's no binary opposites in play here...non-tattooed vs. tattooed...ballroom vs. club...old vs. young...sober vs. drunk. These are not just things you can proclaim as bad or good. Any one individual could be a whole combination of different characteristics.

mindputtee, stash and Larinda McRaven like this.
  8. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

...Perhaps you should consider NOT going to bars or clubs if you don't feel like doing club dance and hate the atmosphere and everyone in it? I mean, just a thought.

Yes, it's called "reality TV." Plus, um...you've never watched DWTS, I take it? Because funnily enough, "The Situation" was on there, and did a much better job trying something with which he was unfamiliar and uncomfortable than you seem to be doing in clubs.

....You either need a better teacher or a new activity to which you're better suited, if that's the case. (And if you find ECS difficult, I suggest that NOT be the swing community, despite it being full of young people and fun music, because if you can't handle triple-time, Lindy will kill you.)

9. EdwinNJ

EdwinNJ Member

oh, I'm sorry, I didn't realize both were just as good. Sober or drunk, what's the difference?
    And being old is just as good as being young. When I'm 80 and can't walk I'll be all like "Wow, this is just as good as when I was 25"

I'm mildly depressed that I have to point out that was sarcastic

you're letting your fear of being overly or improperly judgemental from being even basically rational

10. EdwinNJ

EdwinNJ Member

Well, then, it's a good thing that's not what I'm doing, but explaining why people need ballroom dancing to people who already ballroom dance. Also good the main thrust of this thread is how to get the young layman into ballroo dancing.

But if you're insulted, I suggest you stop going on the internet and engaging in any written medium altogether, you're far too sensitive.

11. EdwinNJ

EdwinNJ Member

huh, jive?
    Looked it up, had never really heard of it. I mean, I've heard the term, didn't know exactly what it was

For swing (not really learning it yet, only started 2-3 lessons on it when I started dancing), I'm going for whatever's in the Brian Setzer orchestra videos, or that scene in The Mask. My understanding is this is the lindy hop. I've seen West Coast swing and I don't like the way it looks/the beat.

12. Lioness

Well, you seem to be very critical of your generation. I figured you saw older people as inherently better people.

And trust me, I'm being plenty judgemental in the privacy of my own mind. But this forum has rules around civility and not directly insulting the person you're conversing with, so I'm trying to be polite.

13. EdwinNJ

EdwinNJ Member

I wasn't trying to teach her thoroughly ballroom dancing, but she was the one trying to partner dance with guys, I just sugested she put her drink down to use both hands. I don't need to teach anything, you can show the follow what to do with body language and just doing your lead. But she wanted to just bounce around

Don't change the story or put things out of context, people
    It's amazing how much people will freak out when you express one opinion

(edited to remove curse words)
    Larinda

14. EdwinNJ

EdwinNJ Member

Bodily, youth is of course much better.
    However my generation has the mindset of freggin toddlers. Tattoos? Ever notice it's little kids who like face paint?

Did you read my description of that guy? tattoos all over his arms, thick hipster glases, a handlebar mustache, a barbell nose piercing, anbd ear piercings all over his ears. He looked like a clown. This is what I have to look forward to, this is what I have to deal with. Half the girls out there have a barbell piercing right through their nose. The other half have the stupid dot that looks like a pimple on their nose.
    Nobody can seem to just LEAVE THEIR FACE/BODY ALONE.

15. Lioness

Maybe she just didn't want to dance with you specifically. I see a lot of guys at clubs that I wouldn't dance with if you got me drunk AND paid me. And I'm talking club dancing, not ballroom.

Silmarwen likes this.
  16. Lioness

There is nothing wrong with body modification. It does NOT suggest an immature or childish mindset. People don't get tattoos and body modifications just because they like "paint" on their faces. Or maybe they do. Who cares, because it's not really any of your business. If you don't like it, just get over it and move on. People with body modifications are not asking for your validation, and they're not asking you to get some too. You don't have to "deal with it" in any way, shape, or form.

I suggest maybe you start hanging out with less tattooed and modified people. Maybe a golf club?

17. EdwinNJ

EdwinNJ Member

No, she was dancing with everyone, I got bored of the non-dancing with one hand and went somewhere else

I don't think they're looking for my validation, and I don't think it's my business. But yes, it some sort of childishness, a lack of refinement specifically, and ignoring the full consequences of those decisions.
    I do have to deal with it because these are the people in my generation. I can't imagine what an eskimo kiss is like with a chick with a barbell piercing.

Why are you bugging about this so much? How about you just drop it, and focus on the man thrust of the thread?
    Yes, Im judging people. I saying negative things about them. Why is that such a big deal to you? People do that, and that it itself isn't inherently right or wrong. The judgement can be right or wrong, based on facts and criteria, but judgement isn;t wrong in and of itself. Sounds like you have an issue. Please try to keep it your issue.

18. dbk

dbk Well-Known Member

I'm not insulted at all, actually. Doesn't mean I can't see things like racism, entitlement, etc. "You're too sensitive" is a pretty sad and worn-out defense.

And no, people don't "need" ballroom. Some people like it; some people don't. Again - people who are different from you are not wrong, and they're not waiting with bated breath for you to enlighten them and teach them the error of their misguided ways. They're just fine - with or without your approval.

IndyLady likes this.
  19. dbk

dbk Well-Known Member

Because your attitudes are a great example of exactly how to drive people away from ballroom (or any activity); and, because your attitude about ballroom is the driving force behind your post.

Oh, I'm sorry - you're allowed to judge and share your judgements, but no one else on the board is? Now who's being "sensitive"?

IndyLady and Larinda McRaven like this.
  20. EdwinNJ

EdwinNJ Member

The context of the word "need" was clearly meant in the context of the goal of acquiring some class. As in, they neded it if they want to have some class, as opposed to be a poo-flinging monkey by comparison.
    Some class would be nice, as I've heard stories of girls getting fingered on the dance floor at clubs. Pretty sleazy

I don't think and never said they were waiting for my approval.

A lot of people here seem to have some huge issue with the concept of judging people. Pleease keep it YOUR issue, and stop posting.
    I will respond in kind repeatedly and corect your silly logical errors, as this sort of behavior bugs me, and this thread was supposed to be about using modern music and easier steps to make sure people get/stay attracted to ballroom dancing.