Getting people into ballroom dancing, and modern music

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by EdwinNJ, Oct 7, 2012.

1. EdwinNJ

EdwinNJ Member

Nope, it's not. This isn't me talking to people whom I want to attrcat to ballroom dancing, this is me talking to ballroom dancers about how to get people into ballroon dancing. I doubt some forum posts are really going to drive people away from ballroom dancing.
    I don't even know what to say about your "driving force" phrase, alls I know is this is a thread about using modern music and easier steps to get people into ballroom, and you're derailing it.

2. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

Edwin, you're new to this community, but we do not insult people here. Opinions are fine, but denigrating others is not. Its fine if that works for you, and its fine if you feel otherwise and respect that community standard. Its also fine if you decide to find a different online community if you cannot abide our guidelines about not insulting people. (Also as per the DF Guidelines, any discussion of these policies should be directed to the staff mailbox.)

IndyLady likes this.
  3. dbk

dbk Well-Known Member

It's entirely your issue. You brought it up. You're defending it. If you want to drop the issue, you drop it yourself. If you keep arguing, you 1) show us that you can't respect that we disagree with you, and 2) continue to keep the focus of the thread on the issues you say you don't want to talk about.

Not to mention that - despite trying to shut down all disagreement by labeling it as off topic - this is entirely on topic. You get people interested in ballroom by not acting the way you are acting right now and not pushing the opinions you're pushing about other cultures. Angry, aggressive, chip-on-the-shoulder and holier-than-thou attitudes are a gigantic turn off.

4. Lioness

Lioness Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'm out.

5. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Gee. I can't possibly imagine why she wouldn't want to dance with you

*end sarcasm;

6. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

So...you don't know anything at all about one of the major 19 dances in ballroom, yet you are qualified to tell people who've been in the industry for YEARS everything they're doing wrong in attracting "young people." I'm beginning to wonder if you're just a persistent troll.

ROTFLMAO...you think triple-time is too hard and you want to dance Lindy? First, you might want to investigated the Lindy scene, and second, if you can't figure out ECS, you're going to be in big trouble there, too. And you are not going to find anyone there who thinks flailing without learning correct technique is great dancing.

Also, if you don't like piercings, tattoos, or people who don't conform to whatever weirdly specific standard you seem to have (seriously, I've met people with tattoos and piercings at county GOP meetings, and while I'm not a fan of body art myself, somehow I have not caught anything being near them--you seem to have a more rigid personal appearance standard than the US military) then really, neither Ballroom nor Lindy is probably the place for you. Because guess what? A lot of the PROS have tattoos. A lot of them have piercings. Neither community is really big into having newbies dictating to them about what is and is not socially acceptable, either.

Know what? I don't like West Coast. So I don't do it. No one has ever attempted to make me. I don't like club dancing. Since no one is holding a gun to my head, I don't go to clubs and therefore avoid being in a situation where I might have to club dance. In college, I didn't enjoy frat parties. So I didn't go to frat parties. I have tried them ALL, I didn't enjoy any enough to pursue them, so I don't. I do not go to swing events and tell them they're doing it wrong. I don't go to clubs and try to force people to dance how I want to dance. I didn't sit outside fraternity houses and scream at people going in about how awful they were. I just went and did what I wanted to do and stayed out of situations I knew I would not enjoy. If you're constantly miserable in a situation everyone around you appears to be enjoying, it is entirely possible THEY are not the problem.

PS: On the subject of "I don't like this dance style and I'm never ever gonna do it!", half the forum here knows how I have felt about International Standard (since you don't know jive I'll assume you don't know that's Waltz, Tango, Viennese Waltz, Slow Fox and Quickstep.) I have been violently frustrated by how HARD they are in the past and expressed my opinion on it.

Guess what I'll be competing in tomorrow, three years after swearing never again, it's too hard and I hate doing it?

Lioness and Bailamosdance like this.
  7. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

I am going to suggest, rather than staff having to lock the thread, that we might simply let it die a natural death....today...

If that can't happen it is likely that we are going to have to close it as it is no longer serving a useful purpose...I am reminded of the old adage about minding where one casts one's pearls, KWIM?

8. EdwinNJ

EdwinNJ Member

I'm not an expert, but I'm taken lessons from them, and at least some of them seem they could do things better in some ways if they want to attract and keep customers.
    And I'm not the one bugging people about one side-point, so you're the troll. The OT was modern music and single step. YOU refuse to drop it

I never said i don't associate at all with them... try reading what i write. And I never dictated or said I dictate to people what is socially acceptable. And it's real childish for you to No True Scotsman me that I shouldn't ballroom dance JUST BECAUSE I HAVE OPINIONS

OK, that's cool, I also tend not to do things I'm not a fan of. What does that have to do with anything?
    And I never said anyone was the problem, They're not the problem, I never said they were a problem. I said they have no class and are two steps away from swining from trees, which concerns me both because it's what I have to look forward to in my age group and for what it says is going to happen over time to our culture.

9. EdwinNJ

EdwinNJ Member

No, it's OT. There were like two off-hand comments in the OP. I can respect that you disagree, but since it's npot the topic of the thread, so I don't really care to hear it. I'm not the one who keeps bringing it up, i just keep shooting it down, since all anybody does is put their words into my mouth and take things out of context.
    But as long as you people keep bringing it up, I'm going to keep shooting down your illogic. I'm not the one pushing opinions. YOU people keep jumping on MY thread and commenting on stuff that isn't really the main thrust, just PART of my angle on it, side-comments I made.
    You SHOULD however instead be able to just sit down and be quiet. GOD FORBID ANYBODY SHOULD HAVE AN OPINION ON SOMETHING AND YOU NOT COMMENT ON IT.

10. EdwinNJ

EdwinNJ Member

Well, she didn't not want to dance with me, like i had said

*end not-paying-attention
    *start try-reading

11. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

Give it a try. We are getting nearer, slowly....

12. EdwinNJ

EdwinNJ Member

Yes, please leave, if you can't endlessly gripe about a differing opinion. GOD FORBID THERE BE AN OPINION YOU DON'T COMMENT ON. God forbid you read an opinion you don't like and just leave it alone. it isn't the OT, so you should be able to, but you've got some kind of tick and no etiquette, so you don't.
    But as long as people twist my words and put them out of context and use faulty logic I'm going to respond

13. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

Edwin, I am going to suggest you cool down before the moderators decide to remove you all together from DF. Mods have been patient, and the members have been to the point, hoping that you might play nice and join the community instead of cursing, calling names, and snaping at others.

Please don't post again in such a manner or you will be removed. I am stating this as nicely as possible. There is no personal offense intended, just a minimum standard of conduct that we all must abide by.

latingal, Lioness, dbk and 2 others like this.
  14. stash

stash Well-Known Member

Jive is the fast version of swing to put it simply. The brits saw ECS and decided to take it to 11. http://www. youtube. com/watch?v=fDtBtolNgP8 this is a video of a great professional doing jive. All the swings with tripple steps (ECS, WCS, and jive) came from lindy hop back in the day and evolved because of culture they were influenced by

15. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

precisely...threads rarely go astray here unless the way the messenger chooses to deliver the message is offensive and beneath the tone that this forum chooses to operate within...which includes brash and careless language, virtual shouting and complete resistance to the responses of others (all to be determined by staff)...when one chooses that tone and maintains that it is acceptable as merely citing an opinion, it is going to be heartily rejected by this community and is going to obscure and detract from whatever value the original content may have possessed...so, I echo Larinda's caution, since all relevant points have been addressed, it is best for us all to move on...any other concerns about the handling of this thread can go to the mailbox or will be deleted... and persons who insist upon disregarding these cautions will recieve consequences

latingal and anametuer like this.
  16. plugger

plugger Member

As for triple vs. single, I started with triple. We did not immediately attempt to do it at tempo, but as anyone can pick up single time in about five minutes at a party, and that's almost the only time you'll ever need it, it wasn't a particularly useful way to spend paid time.

17. opendoor

Totally agreed !

18. dncergrl

dncergrl Active Member

Now and then I make my pro a CD of music that can be danced to, as well as random stuff I think he might like. I notice he sometimes uses my music in group class and with open routines and sometimes not. Up to him. It is a gift. There is a huge selection of music from the last 60 years and everyone can't know it all. Variety is nice but so is familiar music.

leee likes this.
  19. Wolfgang

Wolfgang Member

You want to attract young people to ballroom dancing?
    No prob.
    Start 'em off with Jitterbug/CW Swing - make sure to include LOTS of aerials - then hit 'em with the more technical Jive.
    For some strange reason, few of them like Polka or VW, although they're still pretty fast. Not enough jumping & flipping, I guess.
    Basically, the more closely it resembles a cheerleader routine or something you'd see on the X Games, the better.
    Tattoos?
    Meh.
    Can't remember the last time I saw an attractive woman under the age of 50 who didn't have at least 1 somewhere, so I got used to them.

20. opendoor

agreed

You will bark up the wrong tree. Over here (europe) you rather can attract young people by old music: Vintage and retro dancing thrives. Dressing up and masquerading currently sells.