Getting people into ballroom dancing, and modern music

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by EdwinNJ, Oct 7, 2012.

1. Janson

Janson Active Member

I think that's true, but only to an extent. I've seen some very popular 1920s-themed nights with old style music to 'dance' to - but I'm not sure how many people get into it from that. I think the clincher a lot of the time is simply good music, if it's an old song but is just perfect to dance to then keep it in the playlist. The problem is when the music is from the 60s, and should stay in the 60s. The Latin are dances are sort of more 'fun' and I always think that you really have to be in the mood for ballroom to fully appreciate it.

2. tsb

tsb Well-Known Member

whoa.

the main difference that i can see between single and triple time is the emphasis on the beat.
    in single time, it's ONE two THREE four, rock step, whereas
    with a triple step, the feel is more one and TWO, three and FOUR, rock step. and when the tempo exceeds a certain BPM, i've seen a single step tap step used that keeps the primary weight shift on TWO and FOUR: tap -STEP tap-STEP rock step.

seems to me that you are going to have a conflict if one partner is used to the major weight shifts on the odd beats while the other is used to shifting on the even beats.

3. Lioness

Lioness Well-Known Member

Heard this on the radio today and thought it'd made a lovely "alternative" foxtrot...

4. regis

regis Active Member