Getting to know you... Part 2

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by Pacion, Apr 28, 2004.

1. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Thanks, Bob.

I like your signature line, too. There's a lesson in there for me. 8)
  2. DWise1

DWise1 Well-Known Member

When I took a date with me to my Japanese history class' night out in Little Tokyo (in Los Angeles), she asked me if I knew how to use chop sticks and I picked them up and used them the first time (though I borrowed heavily from the Vulcan salute).

About 30 years ago I got a plastic "ivory" pair of Japanese chop sticks and I've always kept them in my briefcase "just in case". I used them a few times to eat yoghurt when there weren't any spoons available. I figured I could because a then-recent yoghurt commercial showed Japanese businessmen eating their yoghurt with chopsticks. I soon discovered that the secret is to not stir it first. And when I would snack on cookies at work but wanted to keep my fingers clean (I'm a programmer), I would use my chopsticks, much to the amusement of my Chinese co-workers.

As for a quirk, I talk to animals. In their own language. Mainly dogs and cats, but I had a lot of fun once messing with a rooster's mind. I don't know what I'm saying, but they seem to get a kick out of it. Our current dog vocalizes a lot, so we can really get into it at times.

[having now read through the rest of the thread]
    Whenever I gripe to myself about something or curse, I lapse into German. For decades, that was the only way I could ever practice it. Now where I work we have a few Germans, including the CEO, so now I have to watch what I say.

And having been a Mexican for the past 28 years (by marriage, at least for another five months), I often lapse into Spanish in conversation, from habit while visiting with her family -- mainly just simple statements and responses, nothing elaborate. Though I try to avoid it if I know that other person doesn't speak it, but I don't always succeed. Our salsa class is conducted in both English and Spanish and I find myself following and responding to the Spanish more often than to the English.

And 30 years ago in karate and then aikido we would count off in Japanese. Ever since then until just a few years ago when I would need to count off in calesthenics or stretching exercises, I would always do so in Japanese. Always stretching out and groaning the go (5) and ju (10) because that was always when we would put a little extra effort into the stretch.

Though my counting in dancing has always been in English, even for salsa.
  3. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

And the second language, the other language, the language other than English is?
  4. Bob

Bob New Member

One of my quirks is that I love to entertain myself.

Like shouting "Hassan Chop!" when hitting the bag in kick boxing class.

When the instructor asked me what I was doin, I replied (in a bad accent) "Looney tune style, berry berry dangerous"

I ended up having to do 50 push-ups while everyone else was practicing round kicks (my favorite.. ohh well ~I~ was entertained).
  5. DWise1

DWise1 Well-Known Member

How could I forget my ace, number-one quirk?

Insatiable curiosity and a desire to learn. Whenever a question comes up, no matter how trivial (or rather, especially if it's trivial), I have to look up the answer right away.

¡Viva Google!
  6. pygmalion

Wanna be a moderator? :roll: :wink: Google. It's what's for dinner. :google:
  7. MacMoto

MacMoto New Member

The rolling R sound has been a curse of my life -- can't do it, keep needing it (first Russian, then Scottish, now Spanish) :(

I can do musical gurgling though :wink: -- now that's an ultimate useless talent :lol:
  8. pygmalion

Musical gurgling? I have to ask. How did you discover that talent?
  9. MacMoto

MacMoto New Member

When I was in the school choir. Gurgling at different pitches was prescribed as part of vocal cord training, and while I was at it I realised I could gurgle-sing a full song. :lol:
  10. pygmalion

Man! In my choir, all we ever did was hum ... or clap ... or occasionally sway. But no gurgling. I feel cheated! :wink: :lol:
  11. DWise1

DWise1 Well-Known Member

You just might learn it in Spanish, where the R is made with the tip of the tongue against the back of the teeth (apico-dental), almost like the D, and the RR is the same except you flutter the tip of the tongue.

Just out of curiosity, how is the R made in Japanese?

And I apologize ahead of time for the off-coloredness of this old joke, but I cannot fight the many associations that bring it up:

An American orders a drink in a bar, where the barmaid is Scottish. Marvelling at how she repeats his order (which had a number of Rs in it -- personally, I love the sound of a Scottish or Irish woman's accent), he remarks at how well she can roll her Rs. She giggles and explains that it's because of the high heels.

[as I duck the well-deserved slap for that]
  12. pygmalion

Yup. Well deserved. :roll:
  13. DWise1

DWise1 Well-Known Member

Well, there goes my shot at moderator-ship.

Would it help if I told you that I just now ran Google while waiting for the thread to display?
  14. pygmalion

:lol: Sorry. You blew it, pal. :wink: :lol: It's a mostly thankless job, anyway. :lol: 8)
  15. ratherbdancing

ratherbdancing New Member

All of my shirts in my closet are all separated by color. All of the color "categories" are then in order from dark to light.
  16. pygmalion

Just shirts?!? :shock: What about all your other clothing and accessories? :eyebrow: :wink:
  17. ratherbdancing

Yeah so I do do that too. I just didnt want to come across as being overly organized. :wink:
  18. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

What about degree of formality, type of material...
  19. ratherbdancing

Sometimes- I dont have as much time as I use to but I still do at least try to put tee-shirts together, and dressy shirts together, and sweatshirts together etc.
  20. mambo_munkey

mambo_munkey New Member

Okay lets see, some people would classify me as a "perfectionist" and I suppose I can be at times, so I guess I've developed alot of wierd quirks as a result.

1.) In my closet all my hangers are plastic, all the shirts face the same direction and are all on the left side. All my pants are on the right side and grouped by type (jeans, pj's dress pants etc)

2.) I ABSOULTELY CANT STAND dry sponge underneath my fingernails :x . (ie: those nerf basket balls made out of sponge) becuase it feels to me like bits of it get stuck under my nails and I cant get it out :!:

3.) And lastly, you know those weight scales they have in the doctors offices? the ones where you get on and have to use the balance mechanism at the top to slide left and right until you find your weight? We have those where I work for people to use at thier will but I cant stand it when they don't put the balance back to zero becuase eventually it messes up the calibration and ruins it for everybody!