Give a nice compliment

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by Lucretia, Jan 23, 2005.

1. gte692h

gte692h Member

i am very careful with compliments because prefer to give them out only when i genuinely feel like giving them. I only complimented one guy, who was a beginner, but he was very brave that evening, dancing with enthusiasm, despite being surrounded by some very intimidating dancers. I went up to him, and said, 'your dancing was inspirational to me, i have never seen anyone so happy while dancing.' He said, 'thanks, but i'm just a beginner.' And I said, 'i know, but you won't be for long.' A year later, he finds me at another club, and thanks me. He said my words were very encouraging to him, and it really motivated him. i am always more sensitive to what guys go through while dancing, so if i see someone who struggles like i did, but they do so with a smile on their face, i am the first one to compliment them.
    as far as good dancers, men or women, i have never verbally complimented anyone for their dancing. no particular reason though, it just hasn't happened

2. cocodrilo

cocodrilo New Member

That's a great story, gte692h! :D

3. wuthering

wuthering New Member

Good for you, Luc.

I give lots of compliments, on their style or technique. People I like to dance with all know about it. I like to encourage beginners too, or anyone who struggles and has the courage to ask me dance. If I enjoyed it, I always tell them to feel free to invite again an other time/ me more often. I encourage people who have progressed since last time we danced together.

I get tons of compliments too, and they really make my day.

I don't usually compliment on women though.

In salsa settings, I don't compliment on body, clothes and so on, because it might be misinterpreted.

4. luh

luh Active Member

full ack.
    Same with me. Not only that i'm critical with myself - it's also that i just don't know how to handle them. But i guess it's better this way, than doing of being completely used to it (which is definetly not the case))

luh

5. wuthering

wuthering New Member

Luh, just smile and say something nice in return.

6. cocodrilo

cocodrilo New Member

"Thanks!" works wonders, too! :D

7. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

See following below:

--------------------------------------------------------------
    Hi! It's me. Here is my email. Let me know about going to Syracuse.....if I go, can I go with you or follow you or something? I enjoyed dancing with you last night. :) I wish you could come to some swing things....I need my "sagitta" fill this summer. Will you be going to Grassroots? I hear there is a dance tent.....
    So I just want to tell you that I really love to see you out places. You make me smile for some reason and I just feel kind of warm and happy around you when you are happy....not to mention loving to dance with you. I feel "at home" around you, and am thankful for that....however it is happening.
    Thank you.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
    This is a person who still finds it difficult to look at other people etc when dancing, but I get as much eye candy as I want. She never looked at anyone when dancing, but I changed that. So if are gun shy come give me a dance or two or three. :wink: :)

8. Lucretia

Lucretia New Member

What shoukd I say...I'm breathless.

A few fragments in my mind...what a beautiful text...what a nice compliment ....great work Sagitta....you must feel good :D

/luc

9. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

YUp...nice knowing that you can make adifference and actually have people coming out and dancing.... Now if only they would improve the darn music!!!! :evil:

10. Sobrero

Sobrero New Member

He seems a great guy Lucretia!!!

I am glad that you had the chance to dance with him! :!: :D :D
    I try to give compliments especially to beginners because they are motivated to dance!! :wink:
    But I never say something if I do not believe it!!! It is so fake and the other person does not deserve it :!:

Sobrero

11. africana

africana New Member

yep I dislike fake too. I don't get a lot of fake compliments but it's certainly something to watch when you feel like responding to a compliment with one of your own.
    It's definitely best to be concrete with compliments, say exactly what you like about them, rahter than the generic "you're great" or "you dance well"

Of course the exception is when people are approaching you, unsolicited, to compliment you. just take it 8) that's the best :D

And I actually still don't agree with giving compliments just to 'stink up' to someone, for the purpose of insinuating oneself with them, to get some future benefit....but that's just me.
    If I truly admire a man or his dancing, he will be getting a dance invitation from me in short order, no games, no dilly-dallying. And then after the dance if it was great he will know, and I'd probably be giddy/goofy about it depending on how good a time I had.

I actually prefer complimenting fellow women dancers whom I genuinely admire. it feels good to both of us, and more so because I have nothing to gain from it, except maybe a casual/friendly acquaintance

I especially like to appreciate great fashion :D or unique dance style...it's definitely a tool for keeping the community friendly rather than catty and competitive, as might tend to happen when women are forced to "share" a limited number of good leads

I can also think of a number of female role models in my scene who are good about being kind to other ladies for no big reason :)

12. Sobrero

Sobrero New Member

I completely agree with you!
    Usually when I have had a good time during dancing the guy knows because I tend to have this silly grin on my face :lol: :lol:
    Most of the times there is no need for words!!

Sobrero

13. Sabor

Sabor New Member

i'm not much of a story teller.. but suffice to say.. i give a few and recieve alot.. and thats mainly because i dont feel the need to be complimenting unless i actually mean it.

14. Rosa

Rosa New Member

I agree.

But I'm not so sure about your new avatar! ¿Donde está Sabor, El Guapo? :lol:

Rosa :)