going dancing alone

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by jenn, Nov 11, 2004.

1. jenn

jenn New Member

...with a group of friends, or meeting them there?
    does anyone prefer one over the other?

advantages/disadvantages? (hmmm...these can be quite obvious :roll: )
  2. SalsaWinnipeg

SalsaWinnipeg New Member

I prefer to meet my friends at the dance. It's kind of a part of the experience. You walk in, people recognize you, nod and wave to you, you acknowledge them in return, walk towards, say hi, shake hands, kiss ladies on the cheek, start a short conversation, exchange news.

This gives me a nice feeling. It's like coming home from a long trip and being greeted by people who know you and are glad to see you.
  3. tsb

tsb Well-Known Member

i like salsa but i don't particularly care for certain things that tend to go hand in hand with the salsa environment, so i like going in groups with people i'm comfortable with. on the other hand, i have no problem going stag to a ballroom or swing venue although i'm leaning towards finding a regular partner.
  4. squirrel

squirrel New Member

Really, it depends on my schedule... Most of the times, I go with my partner and we find our friends at the venue... or I go with a bunch of people and we meet the others there...
    But if I know none of my friends or students is going... I don't go! The atmosphere in the club is not my favourite... :?
  5. Sabor

Sabor New Member

both are fine by me.. i'm gona have fun anyway :p
  6. MacMoto

MacMoto Active Member

I don't have a particular preference either... I don't know if there are any advantages/disadvantages either way. I've also been to places for dancing where I didn't expect to see anyone I knew. If I see someone I can say hi to, that's a bonus; if not, that's fine.

I tend not to stay in a group at dances... I move around saying hello to everyone, stalk :lol: guys for a dance, have a walk around to check who's there, look for unfamiliar faces (such is my addiction to dancing with strangers :roll: :lol:)...
  7. Cist

Cist New Member

I prefer going out allone (when I want to dance). Else you are always tied together with the other persons. And usually at these nights there are many many people you would have loved to dance with 8)

Only on special occasions, when I'd like to meet somebody....but that's then less dancing and more talking.
  8. Phil Owl

Phil Owl Active Member

Amen to that!!!
  9. salsachinita

salsachinita New Member

Most of the times I go salsa alone. My scene is small enough that it's impossible to NOT know anyone when I go out (this is the case for just walking down the street! I run into salsa-related people any time, any place).

These days I go with my SO all the time. During my single days (not so long ago) I would sometimes text people I know (dance partners etc.) to meet at the place I intend to go (especially when there are more then one place that night) just to make sure I have enough people to dance with :wink: .
  10. etchuck

etchuck New Member

Usually I go alone. I don't mind going with friends, but I find my schedule is such that I have to leave early or something. It also means I don't get too tied down to a particular venue if it isn't to my liking.
  11. tj

tj New Member

Given the choice of the two, I'd rather have friends along, but have our own transportation. This way we can leave whenever we feel like rather than having to wait around for your friend or can stay longer if one chooses.

One advantage of going alone is that it forces you to be more social - which leads into why I make a point of dancing with strangers. I could be perfectly happy dancing with the same people, but part of my goal is to try to make the scene a friendlier place for newbies and strangers.
  12. volleybgrl

volleybgrl New Member

Ditto...but solo works best because of my hecic schedule.
  13. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

I go alone and with others. For me, like tj, the main advantage of going solo is the ability to stay for as long as one wants. Even if I go with poeple there usuually is no expectation that I spend the night dancing with them. Also, like VBGrl with ehctic schedules it sometimes is difficult to coordinate. Like SC I do call/email people to see if they are going. Now when I am at a dance there are some people with whom I will willingly dance the entire night away if they desire (not dependant on skill level of course) because of the personal connection that we have, otherwise I will happily mingle.
  14. borikensalsero

borikensalsero Moderator

I travel alone... It gives me the freedom to come and go as I wish... I like to be there at opening time and leave when the place closes... Not many people care to do that. :?
  15. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Hi volleybgrl! How's the "new" town treating you? Adjusting well?
  16. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

I was wondering about that as the location under the avatar is the same as it always was...
  17. passion

passion New Member

I've done it all, and each can be good.

When I first started I went with a friend that had similar interests. When she lost the interest, :shock: :shock: I went on my own.

I found that I enjoyed going on my own for several reasons.
    I have the freedom to come and go as I please. Going alone also puts you out there to experience more. If you're with the same group all the time you could be missing out on dancing some really phenomenal dances and meeting some extraordinary people.

Now I go with my partner, and the experience is a lot of the same.

This may be going off the thread a bit, but I absolutely love salsa because of how much it opens you up. I look back and see how sheltered I was before I started dancing salsa. My whole world has opened up because of salsa... new opportunities, new people, new friends, and a whole lot of joy. Salsa is something I'm extremely thankful for!
  18. danceguy

danceguy New Member

I usually go alone, my preferred way. It can be fun to go with a group...but I've ran into situations where my travelling companions want to stay and flirt with the girlies when everyone else is tired and wanting to go home. For some reason my best nights dancing have always been when I go without others... :roll:

Of course this is also is good if you meet someone nice, having too many friends along may result in you fighting to get a dance with that beautiful Salsera who makes you forget your name! :lol:

But going by myself is fine...I like being the rugged individual. :D
  19. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Hi SG!!! How's life? :D
  20. danceguy

danceguy New Member

Life is a new adventure that's ever changing...one day at a time...I'm doin' great! :D