going dancing alone

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by jenn, Nov 11, 2004.

1. borikensalsero

borikensalsero Moderator

Look who is here, the italian stalion, the weakening at the knees for the opposite sex ScorpionGuy!!! :banana:

2. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Yay! :banana:

3. danceguy

danceguy New Member

Now now, that's just the fact that I still can't do the Salsa basic properly! The ladies keep saying "what is wrong with this guy?" I'm trying to do Salsa and I think he's doing some kind of drunken monkey Bachata!!!" :lol: :shock: :lol:

Wepa mi amigo...gracias por tus palabras simpatico! :D

4. RugKutta

RugKutta New Member

I do both, depending on the situation. I used to never go alone because I didn't feel comfortable going to places alone. I'm naturally shy and introverted, so it helps me to get out of my shell if I have someone with me. I've recently overcome my insecurity of going by myself and asking women to dance. Nowdays, I still go with a group of people, but if need be I go by myself. I've been officialy addicted to salsa for some months now (dancing salsa for 2 years as a whole), so I'm to the point where I won't allow going solo to keep me from getting my salsa fix. If indeed I do go w/ someone else, I'm real picky about who I go with. I usually go with my "salsero in crime" Gary, because I know he's down to stay until whenever. If I go dancing on a date or with a female friend in general, I would only take someone who already knows how to dance and is cool with dancing with other people besides myself. I say this because I don't want to go out dancing and be stuck babysitting someone who needs me to teach a lesson the whole night instead of actually dancing. I love to teach don't get me wrong, but when I came to dance, I came to dance. If I just happen to ask a random lady to dance and she's clueless, of course I'll teach her for a song or two, but I won't purposely bring someone who can't dance.

5. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

At the heart of shyness is fear. Recognize, learn it, overcome it.

I have asked people who don't know how to dance salsa to come and dance with me. If I can connect to that person and the music at the same time that's all I need.

6. MacMoto

MacMoto Active Member

Same here! :D

7. motardmom

motardmom New Member

Depends on where I go.

If I'm going to my favorite place to dance, I prefer to go alone. If I take people with me, they invariable want to go home before I do, or they need to be entertained or some other crap like that. Ugh.

There's another place I go to occasionally. I prefer to take people along with me when I go there, however, because then I have a built-in excuse to leave. The atmosphere is different there, more of a bar, and sometimes I want to have to leave if someone is bugging me. KWIM? I haven't had that problem yet at the place I mentioned above.

8. Spitfire

Spitfire Well-Known Member

For me there's no need to not go alone since there are plenty of people at the locations to dance with.

9. youngsta

youngsta Active Member

Word! :lol:

10. delamusica

delamusica Active Member

I'm going dancing alone tonight! All my friends who dance strictly do ballroom and ballroom latin, and are mostly competitive dancers - but I love club dancing, too! So tonight (for the first time, btw) I'm going salsa dancing. So I don't have anyone to go with - I'll be darned (look! it's a self-editing post!) if that's going to stop me from going out. :)

11. dancin_feet

dancin_feet New Member

I prefer to go with a group. I'm not all that confident with going up to a complete stranger and asking for a dance. Additionally the couple of times I have been out at a salsa venue, we have been with someone who knows the scene and it's like pulling teeth to get someone to come and dance with us. They just don't seem to want to leave their group for new people.

Maybe it's just the scene around my area. I would hope that not all salsa scenes are as unfriendly as where I am.

Then again if it is a studio function, I'm happy to go by myself, even if none of my close friends are going. I know enough people at the studio to be comfortable in that environment.

12. amrimi

amrimi New Member

I'm happy with both going on my own or in a group. Since I know nearly everybody at my regular venue anyway its no problem at all to be able to dance.

Only problem is that to go out for dancing I always have to get to hamburg which means about 35 miles driving. So I have the opportunity to go by car which is to expensive for me if I go alone or taking the train which I can take for free with the student ID from my university, but than I have to stay till nearly 6 am to take the first train back.

13. jenn

jenn New Member

i used to prefer going in a (big) group, but lately, i kinda like going solo...there are benefits to both. for me, when im in a group, i know i ll almost always get to dance (unless there are too many women in the group :lol: ). im familiar with the leads of the guys in the group and so i know theyll be good dances. and its nice to have people to talk to in between dances too.

on the other hand, when i go alone, i get to dance with new (and familiar) faces, which can be a refreshing change. i just feel like i have more freedom. the downside is that i wont always be comfortable with the leads. some tend to be too strong for me and others, eh.
    but i always enjoy meeting new people. 8)

i also like meeting up with people there and leaving when im ready!

14. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

I used to like going alone too! For other than the obvious reasons!

I think that if you really learn to relax more and stop "thinking" about whether they're too strong, etc., the dance will be comfortable with everyone you dance with - no matter what they do or do not do!

Relaxing your arms more also keeps you from getting hurt . . . but keep your frame! Keep your compression!

Relaxing more with more relaxed arms also helps those leaders who are worried if they "are doing an OK job of leading." Wheel go roun donut???

Don't think . . . just dance . . .

15. rails

rails New Member

Where are you?

16. dancergal

dancergal New Member

It really depends on the place I'm going. If its a dance studio type dance, I can go alone and know lots of people there. If it's our regular nightclub on a Wednesday night, I can go alone and know plenty of people to dance with. If it's a Saturday night, I'll dance much more if I'm with my fiancé than if I'm alone, plus I can dance with others and have someone to protect me from the " Sat. night sharks." LOL! Nowdays I almost always go with my fiancé, but sometimes he's out of town, or doesn't want to go. I'll recuit a girlfriend or two, but don't really have a problem going alone. Now on the other hand, if it's a new dance scene that I've never been before, I wouldn't go alone. :D ......But all in all, I'd rather be with someone.

17. dancin_feet

dancin_feet New Member

I'm in Australia rails. Specifically in Brisbane.
    I heard a couple of months ago that one of the most advertised salsa venues in Brisbane shut down because of lack of patronage. I can't be sure, but the few times I was there, people were most unfriendly and not interested in "newbies". Maybe that could be the reason?? :?

18. salsachinita

salsachinita New Member

I can't speak for Brisbane as I havn't checked out the scene there....but I can say that Melbourne is a pretty friendly scene (with a few odd nights of exceptions) & I think a whole batch of newbies have recently been hatched........

Sydney scene is tougher but it's not impossible if you are able to get past a little arrogance in the air (me thinks it's a big city thing, very common in many well-known salsa cities around the world).

19. hopelessly_addicted

hopelessly_addicted New Member

Am I one of those newbies that you're referring to I wonder? :wink: :D I've only been to 3 clubs in Melbourne for salsa so far, and from my limited experience, I can say that Melboure does have a friendly scene!

I've started out dancing salsa socially alone and although I felt extremely shy going to venues alone initially, I'm enjoying it now! Going dancing alone forced me to meet new people... but coming home alone sometimes feels a little scary since I don't drive!

Hi everyone btw! Finally got around to register - been lurking for about a month now - read almost all posts here (under salsa that is)! I must say, DF is quite addictive! (the fact that am addicted to salsa helps i guess 8) )

20. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

Welcome to the Dance Forums hopelessly_addicted... and to the crazy ride that is salsa! :D