Good, smooth, clean tango - Mariella Franganillo and Pablo Pugliese

Discussion in 'Videos' started by Me, Oct 29, 2007.

1. Me

Me New Member

Pablo at 2:15 is amazing. :eek:

2. jennyisdancing

jennyisdancing Active Member

Wow that's good.

I am signed up for a workshop with Mariela next week. I'm in awe of her. :notworth:

3. Angel HI

Angel HI Well-Known Member

Great! Pay closest attention to the size of her steps, the way she places weight in the middle, and the way that she uses compression to move from center. For this style...Perfecto!

4. jennyisdancing

Angel- call me stupid but could you explain? Weight in the middle of what? Moving from center of what? Do you mean her own center?

Also I don't know how the term compression relates to tango, I'm only familiar with the term in connection with West Coast Swing where (I assume) it means something different? I found this definition in the wikipedia ballroom dance article:
    Compression

The term has several meanings.
    • Compression is a type of physical connection, opposite to leverage, in which a stress exists at the point(s) of contact directed towards the contact point(s). The term is frequently used, e.g., in swing dance community. (My note: this the the type of compression I am referring to in West Coast Swing)
    • Compression is lowering the body by bending the knees in a preparation for a step. The term is mostly used in describing the Rises and falls technique of ballroom dances of Standard (International style) of SmoothWaltzes, Tango (dance), Foxtrots. (My note: this sounds more like what you are referring to? I have been doing this in tango, i.e. bending the legs)
    BTW I've only been learning tango for six months and Mariela's workshop, I was told, is suitable for beginners. The description is as follows:

Thanks in advance if you are able to clarify my questions. :)

5. Angel HI

Sorry for the delay; I have been quite busy, hence off the boards. Of course, I will answer your questions. You may also PM me at your desire.

Firstly, you are not stupid.

Secondly, ...weight in the middle of her steps. In tango, in this style, it is apropos to focus on the weight being in the middle. The Argentines teach always being on one foot or the other, and never in the middle. But, this is just their language; their way of speaking. They always follow by saying something equivilant to taking the body with you; allowing the weight to not be left behind or leapt forward. To the majority of us, this is easier understood as placing the weight in the middle. I teach very often with many of the top Argentine teachers, and they do agree with me; only not with the terminology.

Even in American tango, we dance this way. Often teachers will say, "Tango is staccatto...catlike...(etc). Place the weight down...whole foot". Often, though, they fail to say how to achieve this. When dancing Fox and Waltz, we "roll" from foot to foot. This is to aid in achieving the float (the dancers' term for what laymen call flow). In tango, we place the foot with the weight in the middle of the two feet, and move from middle-through the legs/knees- to the next middle, and place the next step. This is how one achieves staccatto movement. The situation difficile is in doing this while making it look properly smooth, and not jerky...something BR tango master, Bill Irvine, called "monumental stillness".

Lastly, referring to compression. You are correct. Even the definition that you cited speaks to it in tango. In order to achieve the proper tango movement, Amer/Int'l/AT, one moves from step to step by squeezing the thighs together; collecting in sequence at the thighs, knees, ankles, before passing to the next step or stopping.

Hope this helps.

6. jennyisdancing

Thanks Angel!

After reading your descriptions, I realize that I was taught these concepts and that I do them already. It's just that your terminology was different. From my ballet and jazz background, I already am familiar with moving from one's center and understand the term when it's used. That's what it sounds like you are describing.

Also, I do think 'staccato' and 'catlike' are pretty much opposite terms to me. My teacher used 'catlike' to describe how to walk. And actually he did say we should roll through the foot that is stepping back.

Basically, though, I think we are both saying the same thing. I can picture what you are describing and even if it's different words, it sounds like what I was taught to do.

7. Angel HI

I feel comfortable that you do understand, but be careful re ballet centers. It is often taught differently (a wee furhter back) than BR and Latin, and sometimes, even jazz.

Happy dancing.:p

8. jennyisdancing

You're right. Believe me, I have had to make many adjustments to my technique to make a transition from ballet/jazz to many kinds of partner dancing.
    Just saying the general concept is the same and is helpful to know, as opposed to not knowing it at all. Thanks.

9. Me

Me New Member

Jenny I totally feel your pain about the ballet background!

You know I'm watching this video again and that really is a nice molinete... kind of ties in to another discussion we're having. ;)

10. Angel HI

It is a great thread that should have more posters. http://www.dance-forums.com/showthread.php?t=20892 There is so much that goes into this, and it gets into so much that is related.

11. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Ahhh...one of my all-time favorite videos. Love that performance, love that music.

But look at all those "fancy steps!" (*ducking and running and hiding from the traditionalists here* Sorry, couldn't resist poking some fun!)

12. dramababe

dramababe New Member

Wow

AMAZING!! The foot work they use is amazing...

They make it look so effortless, they just glide around the stage and around each other. Not once did they get in each others way!

13. Me

Me New Member

Hi dramababe. Welcome to the DF. ;)