Good Vibes in the Studio

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by DanceMentor, Jan 31, 2013.

1. DanceMentor

DanceMentor Administrator

Some studios just have that "feeling" to them where everyone loves to be there, and you are full of smiles and good times. What do you think studio owners, teachers or students can do to contribute to producing a wonderful vibe consistently?
  2. Gorme

Gorme Active Member

Have staff members who are smiling and love to be there.
    danceronice likes this.
  3. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

lol..um honestly, I have found a negative correlation between fun and quality....I am not saying it isn't possible to have both...but I have not seen it.....at least not in that constant fun bubblely sort of atmosphere...I have always been at studios where there is a mixed bag....and students gravitate toward what they are after...not every student is always upand cheery either...I think everyone has a minimum baseline for where their necessary level of fun needs to be...and people have different definitions of what constitutes fun...In general, I think that most atmospherics (including those found in studios) boil down to people knowing how to compartmentalize their personal circumstances from their jobs as people who are providing a service which has as a component, some hospitality skills
    Bailamosdance likes this.
  4. NielsenE

NielsenE Active Member

Some things i feel are universal: well lit, clean, warm receptionist (if you have a receptionist), music at a reasonable volume
    pro-active education (and interventionif needed) of social norms for your space (who is allowed to change music, helping people learn how to share the space)
    non-dance location to chat -- comfortable seats, a lobby area, something. If you want a community, rather than "only" a happy/positive studio, then you need your regulars to get a chance to know each other.

Some things depend on the community you want to build:
    weekly, well attended social/practice parties/whatever you want to call them are critical, IMO, if you're going for a social community
    supervised/sponsored rounds/runthrus help a lot for growing a competitive community
    after/off-hour access to the space for practice can help amateur couples greatly
  5. twnkltoz

twnkltoz Well-Known Member

I think our studio has a good, positive, fun atmosphere. Somewhat to fasc's point, we have some high quality instruction and competitors, but we are predominantly a social dance studio. Most people go to have fun, socialize, and get a little exercise, and the competitors are in the minority. The quality of instruction is very good, but because the overall emphasis is really on social dancing, there is less pressure and tension in general. That may be part of it. But the competitors are all pretty happy and congenial and there is a good sense of camaraderie, and I think that has to do with the fact that our staff is genuinely friendly and fun. Our owner/manager is a fun and generous person, so we all love our jobs and love being there. That can't help but pass on to the students and therefore the general atmosphere. There is always someone laughing, and people generally care about each other.

I have also worked at a studio where, although the owner was nice enough, she was very sales minded and that was kind of an undercurrent throughout the studio. She was a cheerleader-type personality, but it was very much a facade and that was plain. People did enjoy going there, but it wasn't the same as where I am now. Also, I would say the quality of instruction and the dancers was much lower.
  6. Bailamosdance

Bailamosdance Well-Known Member

I also agree that a clean receptionist adds a lot to the atmosphere...
  7. twnkltoz

twnkltoz Well-Known Member

And a dirty receptionist makes a very different atmosphere.
    Bailamosdance likes this.
  8. GGinrhinestones

GGinrhinestones Well-Known Member

Agreed - with the caveat that the *genuinely* love to be there, as in they take pride in their professionalism, their students, and their studio, and honestly love dancing. Not that they have their "happy face" on every second, but that, as a general rule, their attitude is positive, encouraging, and professional regardless of the individual goals of their students (i.e. serious competitors, serious "social dancers" or casual dancers). Students will, by and large, take their attitude from that of the staff. If the staff is welcoming, engaging, friendly, encouraging, and genuinely loves to be there, the students will want to be a part of that, too. If the staff is obviously putting on a happiness show, obviously more concerned about selling lessons than teaching dance, plays favorites, disorganized, unskilled, or otherwise unprofessional, the studio will have that same vibe. Students will feed off the vibe the staff (especially the teachers) set.
    danceronice likes this.
  9. bia

bia Active Member

I think the genuineness you point out here is extremely important. I'm very turned off by cheerleaderiness as a rule, because it feels like a facade to me even if it isn't always, and because I can't trust that I'm being given the information I need to improve if all I hear is rah rah rah. I don't think you can have a happy studio unless the people there are genuinely enthusiastic about what they're doing and unless they respect both each other and their students. If those are there, there can still be a range from business-like to social hang-out, but it'll be a positive place to be.

ETA: Got distracted while writing -- coulda saved my breath and just said ditto to GGinrhinestones.
  10. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

Both studios I have been to have always had a positive, friendly vibe. The receptionists and owners were both chatty and welcoming, the instructors... even the ones that were not "my" instructors would still come over to chat, the students would make friends with each other. The timing of this thread is perfect, because as I was driving to my studio yesterday, I just always feel happy going in and seeing the same familiar, friendly faces. When I walk into a dance studio, I feel like I am walking into my second home.
    ajiboyet likes this.
  11. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

I have been in a few studios that needed to be reminded that the receptionist is really
    THIS \/ \/ \/

url.jpeg
    cornutt, Gorme, Leon Theou and 3 others like this.