Great dance analogies

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by skwiggy, Aug 10, 2007.

1. skwiggy

skwiggy Well-Known Member

Upon request from another thread, I'm starting this one on great dance analogies. What analogies have you heard or used that helped to make a point crystal clear? Here are the ones I mentioned in the other thread, both credited to the amazing Ron Bennett.

"Santa must come down the chimney before he leaves the fireplace, or he will bang his head." (referring to the need to lower before you move in a whisk in Waltz)

"Rumba should be like hot fudge melting on ice cream."

What analogies have worked for you?
  2. samina

samina Well-Known Member

this topic would make for a great little book! if we get enuf of them, we could self-publish them, with all proceeds going in support of DF...

hope everyone shares their faves...

one that still always brings a smile to my face is my pro saying, WRT buttocks-squeezing in rumba...
    "Squeeze hard enough to make diamonds..." :)
  3. skwiggy

I love the book idea!
  4. Shooshoo

Shooshoo New Member

Yummie...:p.
    In what way does is rumba like hot fudge melting on ice cream?
  5. skwiggy

The hips settling is the fudge melting. ;)
  6. Shooshoo

Shooshoo New Member

I'll try to apply that analogy :p , I like it.
  7. samina

samina Well-Known Member

that is one descriptive analogy... every time i settle i'm gonna be thinking "hot fudge" now... heh.
  8. Shooshoo

Shooshoo New Member

Yeah, I even smell the melted fudge.
  9. etp777

etp777 Active Member

All it's doing right now is making me hungry. :D Hopefully that changes into a helpful analogy in the ten minutes it takes me to walk to studio.
  10. WorksForShoes

WorksForShoes Member

Not to divert a perfectly good discussion about chocolate, but one that I like is that the leg position and tension in tango should feel like your pantyhose have snapped their elastic, and you are trying to hold them up.
  11. skwiggy

Ok, here are some more to hopefully pick up more momentum for this thread. Not quite as clever as santa and fudge, but helpful nonetheless.

In a cross body lead the man is the door, and he must open the door to let the lady through, and close it behind her.

In a tango link the lady is a door, and the man must open it and walk through without taking the door off its hinges, picking it up and moving it out of his way.

The man has a tophat hovering a few inches above his head, and he must stretch his neck to place his head inside the hat.

The spine is a hanger, and the shoulders are the clothes draping on the hanger.
  12. skwiggy

Nice one!
  13. Terpsichorean Clod

Terpsichorean Clod Moderator

I do associate "hot fudge" with that general area of the body...but I don't think we're thinking of the same sort of "fudge". :p
  14. Terpsichorean Clod

Terpsichorean Clod Moderator

etp777, maybe that image'll stop making you hungry. ;)
  15. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

will reflect upon this...pro has so many good ones and for the life of me I cannot upload a single one right now...tired I guess
  16. suburbaknght

suburbaknght Well-Known Member

Quite a few, but here's my favorite.

American style is like when you first meet someone and you want to be exciting but at the same time you need to respect them and not come on too strong.
    Argentine is when things are going really *ahem* well.
    And international is when you're just keep it together for the sake of the kids.
    - On the three styles of tango.
  17. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

ROTFL! :uplaugh:

At my coaching lesson, the visiting pro was explaining about 'taking the lead' from the man, and said, "He's pushing the button to launch the rocket. You're the rocket."
  18. elisedance

elisedance New Member

:uplaugh:

maybe you are onto a practice method! For both parthers?
  19. samina

samina Well-Known Member

in standard tango? never heard that one before. that's a very funny one... lol
  20. dancesportgirl21

dancesportgirl21 New Member

Ron Bennett is the best! I went to some of his classes a couple of years ago at the IDF- just amazing.

I'm sure I'll have something to contribute to this thread soon once I remember something, but for now I'm enjoying reading it. :)