Great dance analogies

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by skwiggy, Aug 10, 2007.

1. samina

samina Well-Known Member

i like the analogy that, in international, the woman wants the man, but he's undecided... and she keeps letting him smell his perfume to entice him. he comes in a whiff... but he pushes her away because he doesn't want her... yet.
  2. Phoenix

Phoenix New Member

On keeping knees together in Latin dancing...pretend you're dancing on a mirrored surface with no undies.
  3. skwiggy

skwiggy Well-Known Member

To use the full extent of the pointed foot in Latin, I like - pretend the tips of your toes are paint brushes and you are painting the floor.
  4. samina

samina Well-Known Member

i like those. no undies... eek!

along the lines of yours, skwigs, i also like josh's etch-a-sketch analogy... imagining that you're using your feet to draw an etch-a-sketch design on the floor.
  5. skwiggy

Still working on this one, but our coach wants us to dance standard like we are both wearing tight skirts so that our knees keep moving towards each other. Sounds like it may be a good idea for me to bring 2 tight skirts to practice for us to get the feeling. I'll have to bring one for my partner because I don't think he has one of his own. ;)
  6. liz

liz New Member

lets see, for cuban motion: pretend that you have a bowl around your hip area,you have to brush the bowl then settle then brush the bowl the other way. It feels like you are skating.. In bolero, you have a limbo bar and you have to go under it then pull together.In Cha-cha your hips are like a bomarang on the two-three.
  7. skwiggy

For pivots I was once taught to keep my thighs closed when going forward but to open them going back. I was told to dance the forward pivot as a "good girl", and the backward pivot as a "bad girl". :eek:
  8. samina

samina Well-Known Member

photos, pleez.:cool:
  9. samina

samina Well-Known Member

should i be troubled that i seem to be better at backward pivots??? ;)
  10. liz

liz New Member

arms in bolero, you are inside a bubble and you are brushing the sides. Tightness in rhythm, pretend you have a hundred dollar bill between your bum checks LOL. And you have to walk across the room with it. Mambo, think about were it orignally came from tribes that thought the Gods were underground. You are trying to wake the gods.
  11. skwiggy

Why pretend? :cool:
  12. skwiggy

Depends on whether or not you have a problem with being a bad girl. ;)
  13. samina

samina Well-Known Member

14. Zhena

Zhena Well-Known Member

Rumba: dancing on a beach and driving your toes into the sand ...
  15. Zhena

Zhena Well-Known Member

Foxtrot: a buoy on the ocean rising and falling with the waves ...
  16. skwiggy

Ah yes, foxtrot as continuous wheels in rolling motion.
  17. skwiggy

My old partner and I used to talk about which cars gave us the right feeling for each standard dance, and we would try to envision those cars on the dance floor. I only remember three of them, but I recall waltz was a cadillac, foxtrot was a rolls royce, and quickstep was a mini. :)
  18. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

perfect...I own two caddies...perfect...
  19. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

pro likens FT to the kiddy coasters...not too much rise and fall but a rolling along...

he also has a gros image for how to lift your center...he likes to imagine that one has a meat hook pulling up from the ribcage...but these are not his best analogies...those have remained unretrievable ever since this doggone thread began...but I am certain they will surface eventually
  20. delamusica

delamusica Active Member

quickstep as a mini - i like it!