Great dance analogies

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by skwiggy, Aug 10, 2007.

1. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

'Cause then it's harder to spend that hunski afterward...
  2. samina

samina Well-Known Member

am having same blank-out...
  3. Auntie Crazy

Auntie Crazy New Member

To describe the millisecond delay between the leader's movement and the follower's - in smooth - my pro asked me to picture him with flippers on (I'm not kidding) that my feet are attached too. When he steps forward, in a rolling motion, his heel comes down, then his toe, the flipper and then, continuing that rolling motion, my toe and my heel. :eek:

I've lately been referring to him as the "allegory king", 'cause darn near everything he teaches has a hilarious description attached to it. His other students and I laugh about it all the time (even as we retain the points he's trying to make *smile*).
  4. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

So here is my little story... not quite an analogy, but funny anyway.

I had a very very tall black student. Everytime he lowered his whole body would slump and his chest would collapse. I told him that everytime he goes down into his knees, his body-spine-chest needed to continue to grow upward (trying to get him aware of the muscles that support his upperbody)

He was swinging around the room by himself (on a full floor!) and I am calling to him LOUDLY from across the room... "Lower your knees, grow your body... knees down, grown your body.... knees grow.... knees grow.... knee-grow, knee-grow, knee-grow..."

I suddenly realised the horrified look of the people in the studio as I cheerfully yelled the word negro at this very large black man. Fortunatley he has a great sense of humor, and so do I. We laughed about it for months. The studio owners are far less fun loving and were pissed.
  5. samina

samina Well-Known Member

truly funny... what are the odds! i can imagine the laugh you guys musta had over that!
  6. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

omg...choke.....

and I thought my current lessons focused on sticking my butt out were bad enough b/c pro used to train dogs and anyone who walked by would on ly be hearing "SIT" every 4 beats...but...um...that's a lulu Larinda.....
  7. 9dncr

9dncr New Member

OMG Larinda that is the best story... i can imagine being one of the spectators trying to concentrate on what I was doing and thinking what the heck! It would have been hysterical.
  8. Twilight_Elena

Twilight_Elena Well-Known Member

Ah, I remember saying very weird things during my lessons... hysterical. Those were the good old days.

T_E
  9. samina

samina Well-Known Member

in foxtrot... pushing lily pads away underfoot as they float on thick oil
  10. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

:-?:confused: Huh. ... Huh.
  11. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

No Samina that's for Frogstrot:wink:
  12. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

13. samina

samina Well-Known Member

not feeling that one? works magic for me...
  14. samina

samina Well-Known Member

:tongue:
  15. Peaches

I have a hard time with most dance analogies--my brain just doesn't seem to work that way. But that one in particular...really doesn't work for me, lol.
  16. samina

samina Well-Known Member

i remember when he first mentioned it and we tried some foxtrot... when we stopped, i exclaimed (yep, exclaimed... lol) "omg... it's just like that -- what a cool feeling!"

taking the image into the action and feeling what happens is my favorite bit of working with analogies.
  17. NielsenE

NielsenE Active Member

again not an analogy, but in line with Larinda's story....

One of the latin coaches I use to work with a lot would yell "Shift, Shift, Shift, Hold Hold" for the rumba... but with his accent the 'f' from lost from shift.... always wondered what the studio neighbors thought was going on....
  18. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

I love dance analogies...they tend to work wonders for me
  19. elisedance

elisedance New Member

First foot action in tango promenade - 'squash a very large caterpillar'
  20. Peaches

One of my first AT teachers had a couple of exercises he liked me to do. One was named "kick the boyfriend," the other was named "squish the bug." I didn't get anything out of the exercises at the time, but I remember them (and do them!) 2 years later. That's worth something...