Happy and/or Random Thoughts #2

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by pygmalion, Apr 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Here it is. The brand-new, easier to load H&R thoughts thread. Have fun, kids. :D

2. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

Attended a great symphony performance last night. Program started with Debussy's "Nocturnes", which I had not heard before. I was very surprised to find out (from the conductor's Q&A session) that it was based on a series of drawings by James Whistler. The Noctunes is a three-movement piece which uses a female chorus in the last movement -- which would be important later. Then they performed John Williams' "Star Wars" suite of themes. When the concertmaster came out to lead the orchestra to tune up before than, the oboe player, instead of just playing an A, played the five-note melody from "Close Encounters". The whole orchestra cracked up! Then the conductor walked out, wearing a Darth Vader mask and bearing a light saber. The concertmaster tried to bow his violin with the light saber.

The closing piece was Holst's "The Planets". Here's something for the "Half and Half" thread under the General Dance Discussion category: the well-known "Mars, The Bringer of War" segment is in 5/4 time. They had a projection screen behind the orchestra for this work, and as each of the movements for the planets was played, they projected some hi-res pictures of the planet, taken by the various NASA planetary probes. In the last movement, "Neptune", there was a very odd-sounding melody running throughout it, and I couldn't figure out which instrument was playing it. As it turned out, the female chorus was singing from offstage! Really other-worldly sounding, and a very appropriate ending.

3. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

I just found out that my husband got tickets to a tango show I've been wanting to see (Quintango).

I had mentioned (more in the bludgen-about-the-head way, as opposed to the subtly-dropping-hints way) that I wanted to see this show for my birthday, but didn't think he'd go for it.

And then tonight I found the confirmation email in my inbox. After we'd spent a good half-hour going around and around about it, in a "heated discussion" that he started. Just to get me going--that sly devil!

I love my dh.

4. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

that is so sweet...swoon

5. sonus

sonus New Member

Yep, Williams, like Leonard Bernstein before him, is a master at borrowing from the masters. Williams must have been inspired by Holst's "Mars" when he wrote some of the battle music score for Star Wars. The main theme from Star Wars has always reminded me of the opening of the Brahms Piano Concerto as well.

6. MacMoto

MacMoto Active Member

Cherry trees in the (communal) front garden will be flowering soon :D.

7. pygmalion

Feeling very happy and somewhat random. Just bought gas for ONLY $2.80. Woohoo! It's $2.99 everywhere else.

8. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

Just found out that my mom wants me to sell my car, so that she can give me hers! She wants to buy a new one, but hey... this saves me from having to buy a new car lol! Wohoo! The day is turning out better than how it started out that's for sure!!! ;)

9. cornutt

Curse you, SDSalsaguy! ;) :headwall:

10. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

:twisted: :tongue: :twisted:

11. pygmalion

Pretty sneaky! :lol:

Just ordered tires online from Sam's Club. Best deal in town. No wonder Walmart is taking over the world. :lol:

12. SDsalsaguy

Who, me? :shock:

13. cornutt

Yes, you! :snake:

14. pygmalion

Is that a friendly snake or a "you snake!" snake? :lol:

I saw a dead snake in the road this evening on my way home. I guess some vehicle or the other ran over it. A yellow snake with a pattern on it. I wonder if it was poisonous.

I don't like Texas. :(

15. MacMoto

MacMoto Active Member

I wonder how that translates to British money/litre...
    I just found out yesterday how much diesel costs these days (I don't drive anymore so hardly ever notice these things) -- 99p per litre!? :shock: :shock: :shock: Wow.

16. cornutt

Wow. Last I checked, the pound was about $1.80 US. So let's see... (pulling off shoes to count toes... :p ) I'm getting about $7/gallon. :shock:

17. pygmalion

lol. Thanks. I was too bleary-headed this morning to do the math.

18. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Today (Tuesday, April 25) is Free Cone Day at Ben&Jerry's.

...mmm...chocolate chip cookie dough...

diet, schmiet!

19. pygmalion

Amen to that, sister! :D

20. SDsalsaguy

It's morning.... blech!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.