Happy and/or Random Thoughts #2

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by pygmalion, Apr 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

My little sister called me today and told me that she had some clothes to give away! She always has cute club clothes, so I'm excited about getting them tomorrow. That's the nice thing about having a lot of sisters though. We all share each others clothes and other things we don't use any more! ;)
  2. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

i wish I had a sister
  3. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

Well, I have three sisters, so if you ever want to borrow them just let me know! ;)
  4. fascination

nah...just their clothes...lol
  5. SuzieQ

SuzieQ New Member

Congratulations, Fascination! My son graduated last Sunday from Law School---on Mother's Day--I was doing great until they had all the mothers of the graduates stand, then the spouses, children, etc. and had the graduates express their appreciation to them. Very humbling--makes me cry even now.
  6. fascination

my husband graduatd from law school about five years ago and I still feel that way...it was such a hellish journey to the swearing in that one just couldn't help but be emotional about it....the kid is graduating from the indiana academy for mathematics humanities and social sciences...it is a high school (residential) for juniors and seniors only who are advanced in their learning skills and it has been a sacrifice to have him gone two years early but a wonderful experience for him and I am very proud of him....
  7. fascination

btw congrads on your boy...I hope he enjoys the fruits of his labor as much as we have...and you too, mom.
  8. SuzieQ

SuzieQ New Member

What are your son's plans for the future?
  9. fascination

don't EVEN get me started....they are al currently tangled up in a girl...a nice girl ...but sheesh...where did he get THOSE priorities? lol
  10. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

How cute! I'm sure that most moms think that way. I have two brothers, so I've been through everything lol. ;)
  11. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

From personal experience, I'm afraid I know the answer to that... ;)
  12. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

I have some good news! I finally found a summer job. It's only for a month though, but it's good for me since I go back to school in the fall. And it's perfect hours 10-6, which is better than the 6 a.m. shift I was going to take at another job. What's weird is that it's retail, and of course it doesn't pay as much as my college job did. But I'm so happy to be away from the computer though it doesn't matter! Plus... I loved retail when I did it years ago. Although, I went to college to get out of retail. It's funny how now I'm grateful to be back into retail even with less pay and with a college degree lol! At least I can say that I put my college degree into use even though I won't be using it now! ;)
  13. delamusica

delamusica Active Member

I've been busy! I graduated from college with two bachelor's degrees, and just got back from two weeks of touring with an orchestra in Spain! I feel good having gotten so much done lately. Now that I'm all good and exhausted, time to look for a summer job. :)
  14. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

Oh congratulations! I only have two associate degrees! I can't imagine having two bachelor degrees (until I know what to do for sure)! But it's like what my dad said, as long as you have something it doesn't matter what it is lol! You'll find that you make more money by having your two degrees! I didn't realize it until I left school myself, but it's a good feeling, and hey... more spending money for dancing! You can't go wrong with that!!! ;)
  15. DWise1

DWise1 Well-Known Member

Two bachelors is easier than you think. I have three (BA German, BS Computer Science, BA Applied Math). The first one is the hardest, because you have to do all the general education requirements along with the major requirements, but then each one after that is only the major requirements so it's only about half the hours (it's been quite a while, so I forget now just how many units are required). I got the German degree (plus loads of personal interest classes, including six other languages) before I married. Then while on active duty in North Dakota I got the other two; in the case of the Applied Math, I only needed four more classes than I already had and I was stuck there for another two years anyway -- as a standard benefit at the time, the Air Force paid 90% of my tuition except for the last year when it paid 95%.

So, obviously, opportunity is also key.
  16. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

Congratulations to you too! And what you say is true if you have the money to continue on. I found that I didn't and that my interest was building up (and still is unfortunately). This is why when I went to my current college I paid outright, so that the interest wouldn't build up. I get my next two semesters for free, but it's only a technical school though. So, I won't be getting any B. S. degrees from it. But hey... why not go when the school is paid for by the government lol? I'm just not sure which way I want to go yet though for my next degree. Oh well. ;(
  17. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

If you're interested in going on, there's always the option of seeking a job at a company that pays tuition reimbursement. A lot of companies pay, within some constraints. *shrug* Just a thought. :cool: :)
  18. DWise1

DWise1 Well-Known Member

Yeah. Just call your local Air Force recruiter. I think that's that best service for continuing your education. Much more stable duty schedules. In the Navy you'll have sea duty, including six-month deployments. One Army veteran I talked with described how, even though they urged their soldiers to attend college classes, every single semester without fail they'd have to drop their classes to bivouac in the field for weeks and so could never ever complete a single course. Haven't heard from any Marines, but I would assume the same would apply. But in the Air Force, you stay on base and have a chance to complete your courses (there are exceptions, of course). Though it also helps if you're in a 24-hour shop where you can volunteer for the odd shifts in order to attend school during the day.

Did I forget to mention that I still pulled a full duty schedule?
  19. delamusica

delamusica Active Member

The military is a great way to pay for school - one of my roomates had most of not all of his tuition paid by joining the Air Force Reserve - he only had to go one weekend a month, and I guess he'll have to work for them for two years or something like that after he graduates.

I just did it all in one swoop - five years plus summer courses - all over with. I'll be paying it back for quite awhile, but at least I've got an assistantship for grad school, so that'll be free! :)
  20. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

Yeah, but in the companies that I have worked for, you have to be interested in those types of careers. So, they will only pay you if you give them some reason why your particular class will help you and their company.;)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.