Happy and/or Random Thoughts #2

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by pygmalion, Apr 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. samina

samina Well-Known Member

are you open to dating people with whom you work?

personally, i think it's a wise decision to have a strict policy against this. if something destined emerges, it would be compelling enuf to override such a policy... but if you very easily see the men you work with as candidates... my goodness, that could quickly become a nightmare.

that's just me. but honestly... do you wanna be dealing with this sorta complication when you go to work? it's stressful & distracting...

2. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

Well, to be honest... most of my boyfriends have been guys that I have worked with since I moved here, and I am still friends with them to this day. But honestly, where do you meet guys now? I don't go to clubs (unless asked and only if I really can that night), and I wouldn't want to pick them up at the clubs anyways. And I'm not into sports, so I'm not going to meet them by going to sports events. But seriously... I thought about this question a long time ago. So, I understand where you are coming from.

And here's the thing, I have never had a schedule to where I can just go out when I felt like it either way. That and I never had the money. Even now I don't have a decent schedule. It might change once she makes a new one after everyone gets hired on. (They are still looking for a few people in my department.) So, it's hard finding a guy that will work with me. The last guy I dated was great that way, but he expected me to stay out late etc., and I was like... I have to work tomorrow. I can't go into work all whatever the next day. I've never had problems with this with the guys I work with. They understand the environment, and things like that.

Also, I have had friends that met at work and got married. We have a few married couples like that... that are in our company. So, it could work. But to me, different relationships work different ways. And for me having two jobs and my business to focus on puts a lot of stress on the guys that I date. They have to understand this, and some do not unfortunately.

3. samina

samina Well-Known Member

you're preachin' to the converted, spratt... still... i'd have to be bonked over the head with Unprecedented Dream Chemistry to consider someone i work with on a regular basis. the potential stress & drama & complexity is just too high. look... you're brand new on the job & already wondering about jealousy dynamics, who's gonna be sitting near whom, what does so-and-so mean by some comment... soon the chicas will enter into the drama, the gossip will start... and you aren't free to "date" in the sense of just "trying someone on" and moving on without complications. your lives are entwined, like being in business with someone you're dating...

i say find another way, spratt.... the internet, speed-dating events, singles groups, attend more events like wine-tastings or lectures...

fwiw, i met my ex-hubby at work... but we didn't pursue romance while still working together. we started as friends. :)

4. Terpsichorean Clod

Terpsichorean Clod Moderator

You're a dancer. Are you normal? ;)

5. Twilight_Elena

Twilight_Elena Well-Known Member

I'm toying with the idea of making a dress like this one (#35):
    http://www.ymdance.net/costumes/
    Since I'm going to get it made by A&D Couture, they can probably make an exact replica of the above. I've been looking round and round the web for ideas for a Latin dress, and I really liked the see-through style. What do you all think? Do you like it? Should I tweak the design?

T_E

6. waltzgirl

waltzgirl New Member

TE, the link turned up a page with lots of pictures on it. Which one are you thinking about?

7. Twilight_Elena

Twilight_Elena Well-Known Member

#35.

8. mamboqueen

mamboqueen Well-Known Member

I like it a lot; I think having it see-through gives it its sexiness. I'm not particularly crazy about the flowers...maybe some other type of pattern...but I would go for a real snappy contrasting color there....lime green, mango, yellow, something that really pops. It's very nice, TE.

I would also make it cut low in the back.

9. delamusica

delamusica Active Member

Agree - like the idea, not crazy about the flowers.

My favorite detail about the whole thing is the contrasting piping along the bottom of the skirt.

10. LucyDiamond

LucyDiamond Active Member

I agree about the flowers, not my favorite part of the dress. I like the hemline very much.

11. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

I don't know if this really should go here or in the Showcase chat, and whether I'm jinxing myself by being happy before tomorrow, but I have my first-ever skating show tomorrow! I'm skating a pretty basic free dance with my ice dance coach to Matchbox 20's "Unwell." I have even managed to edit the music--now I just hope the CD plays on whatever system this rink has--I've never been there. We've had three weeks, which is to say about two hours' worth of ice time, to throw this together, and it features two lifts (a straight line and a rotational), a baby step sequence that's a half-arsed attempt to translate twinkles to skating and cover up that when it comes to footwork about all I have are inside and outside mohawks and ersatz choctaw, a spiral sequence, a partner spin (my direction, yay) and an ending drape. Move I dread the most: a simple drop three at the start, where I have a nasty tendency to kind of fling my weight over the standing leg and hope I get the other foot down in time.

I plan to smile a lot, have graceful arms and good posture, and count on no one looking at my feet much! And on not doing anything to screw up Nick's ability to lift and hold me. (Those ab workouts from pole class are coming in handy.)

12. elisedance

elisedance New Member

Sounds terrific to me DOI, though I know nothing about ice dancing other than having watched torvil and dean a lot! Best of luck tomorrow, nail that 'simple drop three' OK? [Like all things named 'simple' it isn't I'm sure.]

13. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

It should be and is--it's the first one-foot turn a skater learns, at least following the USFSA's Learn to Skate or test track. It's called a three-turn because done correctly the tracing on the ice looks like the number three. An outside three means, for example, I start forward on a left outside edge in a one-foot glide, then turn on that foot without putting the free leg down so I'm on a left back inside edge. For some reason, for most people, myself included, the reverse of this, an inside three (inside edge to outside edge) is harder. As long as you're centered over the pivot point of the blade, and stay there, using knee action to propel the turn, you're fine. If, like me, you have a habit of using the momentum from the free leg and a bit of a corkscrew action from the hip, you tend to throw your weight too far and are at risk of falling off the edge. Now, we're doing this in a closed hold, so I can do my pattented "Oh, $#!^" look and grab on to stay upright, but that's kind of embarassing. My ice dance coach knows that look quite well--he watched my Smooth heats at my first-ever competition and when I came off the floor he knew exactly where I'd goofed, without knowing ballroom, because he saw that look on my face every time.

14. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

Lol! Good point! ;)

15. mamboqueen

mamboqueen Well-Known Member

good luck with the showcase, danceronice :)

16. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

Ok. I tried to respond to this post like three times now, and it wouldn't let me go through lol! But I wanted to say thanks for giving me another perspective to think about. I guess that since I work with so many men, and that I haven't dated in awhile, that it's nice to know that men do find me attractive. I'll need to really think about things before I do anything. I guess whatever was meant to be will happen the way it's supposed to happen. I guess I'll just have to wait and see!

17. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

yup. don't like the flowers either.

18. etp777

etp777 Active Member

Here's one more vote for ditching the flower, but love the dress in genearl. THink I've even talked about that one with my mom before about copying it for one of pros in area.

Of course, if you happen to look like yulia, won't matter what you wear, you'll look great. :)

19. etp777

etp777 Active Member

DOI, sounds very cool. Can't comprehend trying ice dancing, but then agian, 16 months ago, would have said same thing about ballroom dancing. :) Good luck. :)

20. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

again...you won't know unless you ASK

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.