Happy and/or Random Thoughts #3

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by samina, Oct 12, 2007.

1. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

True. There is lots better stuff to read on the web. But ... this story was kind of hard to miss on any of the national or international news TV channels or, come to think of it, on the gossip/"entertainment" channels, last night when i was channel surfing. I didn't go seeking such nonsense on the web. When I 'm online, I have better things to do -- DF and amazon dot com, mostly. *grin*

That said, IMHO, "readily accessible" when you have a foot-long telephoto lens is a tad different than readily accessible, if you're just walking along a street. OTOH, particularly after the incidents with Diana, this young couple "should," IMHO, know that their privacy is constantly going to be invaded. Topless sunbathing is probably not ever going to be a good idea for her. Paparazzi have been known to use helicopters. *sigh*

Either way, I find the actions of the media to be reprehensible, in this case. The fact that you're a member of a royal family doesn't make this sort of thing any less humiliating than if you're just an ordinary person. Or any less uncalled for. But that's just me. *shrug*

And moving right along ...

Random : Up in the middle of the night, making training materials ... again. These class plans always seem like such a good idea, until I have to implement them.

OTOH (and to get to the happy part ...) I find that the cliche is true. Do what you love and you'll never work a day in your life. :)

2. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Sunny Sunday!:)

3. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

such an awesome autumnal day...son is home to watch game and visit...taco fest is on...why is it that every time I make some progress in my diet, my social life comes alongs and trounces it?

4. nucat78

nucat78 Active Member

Illini won, Cats won. 3-0, baby!

Went kayaking today for the first time. I've rowed and canoed but never kayaked. Quite fun! Plus it ought to be good upperbody work.

5. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

I have something called Metro, which is a combination audio and MIDI recording and editing software. It is Mac-only.

6. chomsky

chomsky Well-Known Member

4 DAYS 2 SEE HIM
    5 DAYS 2 DANCE WITH HIM…
    CAN’T WAIT...

7. Lioness

Lioness Well-Known Member

Tried swing dance tonight! First beginners class in a looooong time.

We had the guy who was hopelessly off time but thought it was my fault, the guy who did some snazzy moves when he wasn't meant to, and the awkward stumbly new guy (BF)
    Was great fun, though...we'll get BF's basic sorted out during the week, and it'll all be good :D

Also new profile pic...last one was years old.

chomsky likes this.
  8. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

I recently bought a blender, and I've started making smoothies. Most have turned out pretty well, and have been reasonably tasty.

Yesterday afternoon I decided to make a smoothie with a banana, strawberries, a few raspberries, spinach leaves, and a little 2% milk. The resulting smoothie was .... well ... like sludge. It tasted like spinach leaves with a slight banana undertone; any flavor from the berries was lost. I'm sure there must be some nutritional value in the smoothie, at least that's what I'm telling myself when I drink it. I've got about 2 small servings of it left, and I'm not letting it go to waste. Next time I'm not going to use so many spinach leaves, or else I'll put them with something else.

9. nucat78

nucat78 Active Member

Save the spinach for garlic and lemon. ;-)

10. samina

samina Well-Known Member

save the spinach & nix the milk. ;)

Purr likes this.
  11. fascination

agree...and add more banana if you want more flavor, maybe some nutmeg as well

12. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

Good idea. But now I've got a partial carton of organic spinach leaves. There's no way I can eat that much salad.

Any ideas?

13. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

I'd go with make sure the banana is super duper ripe, with lots of brown or even black spots, so you get as much banana sweetness and flavor as possible. If you're new to fruit and veg smoothies, go easy on the greens so that you taste mostly fruit. Spinach has a pretty subtle taste, IMHO, so it's a good choice. Just don't use too much. I might also add some sweet apples or red grapes for sweetness.

I've never used dairy in my homemade smoothies, so i can't comment on that. :cool:

14. fascination

I have used skim milk and I have used yogurt and it has been fine

15. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

I checked a book out of the library - 201 Healthy Smoothies & Juices for Kids. I have very little culinary talent, so I figured a book for kids was about my speed.

A number of the recipes list romaine lettuce, iceberg lettuce or spinach leaves (even dandelion greens) as an ingredient. That's where I got the idea for the spinach leaves. I suppose the authors throught that would be a good way to get kids to eat salad in some fashion.

A lot of the recipes have ice as an ingredient. A few have kefir or yogurt.

16. fascination

spinach is the only green I use...I love it

17. nucat78

nucat78 Active Member

I use spinach, beet greens or chard in place of lettuce in various things like sammiches. If you happen to make your own pasta, you can add the spinach into that.

18. Sagitta

I always say that i don't know swing and that way I can get away with almost anything, and the lady leaves my dance very happy that she got someone who danced. ;)

Nice new profile pic lioness. :)

Lioness likes this.
  19. Sagitta

Might be the blender you used? People usually suggest spinach as it does not have much of a taste. More raspberries to up the tartness, and more banana, and less spinach? You can always modify the smoothie you have left rather than forcing yourself to have something that tastes like "sludge" to you....

20. Sagitta

Great ideas. I often use spinach in pasta.:)