Happy and/or Random Thoughts #3

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by samina, Oct 12, 2007.

1. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Random: If I were an actor, I'd want to be JK Simmons. He's everywhere. In the past 24 hours, I've seen him in Spiderman, Law and Order, Juno, State Farm commercials and I'm pretty sure something else I forgot. The man is constantly employed. Very good actor, IMHO.

ETA: Oh yeah. The Closer. (Just checked his IMDb page. The guy is amazing. Who knew he did cartoon voiceovers, too?)

Purr likes this.
  2. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

How irritating to be sick all weekend and mostly better by Monday morning.

3. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

Agreed.

4. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

Last Friday afternoon I went to a vintage clothing store looking for accessories for the 1920's flapper costume I'm planning on wearing this year for Halloween. I already have a black fringe dress, purchased from a dance supply company, as well as art deco style earrings and, of course, long beads. I was planning on wearing black fishnet hose and black Latin shoes.

I picked out a black sequin headband, which has a cool detail of feathers and beads. The clerk then started asking me about what I already had for my costume. I described the dress, which apparently for historical accuracy is way too short. Then I learned that flapper beads should be pearls, whereas mine are jet; however, I actually have an antique set of pearls that I can add if I feel like. I also learned that flappers didn't wear bracelets, because that bracelets weren't generally available then. I picked out a sparkly jet and crystal ab bracelet on clearance for $3 anyway.

The kicker was when I described the fishnet hose and black Latin shoes, and I did explain that I was wearing them to a dance party. The shoes passed muster. The clerk then said, do you have to wear hose? I said no, but it's my preference. Then she asked if I could wear sheer hose, so which I said the fishnets work well with the dance shoes. Then she said, but you can't wear fishnets - in the 1920's, only prostitues wore fishnets. I looked the clerk in the eye and said, then I'll be a 1920's flapper prostitute.

chachachacat likes this.
  5. raindance

raindance Active Member

LOL on your reply to the clerk. I don't imagine most people at a Halloween party will be looking for that degree of historical accuracy in your costume, but now you have a good story to go with your costume!

Out of curiosity, where did you get your black fringe dress? Is it nice enough quality that you might wear it for some non-Halloween dance event? I find it very hard to judge quality for something like that online.

6. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

It's a one shoulder black fringe dress by Balera, that I bought online from dancewearsolutions dot com. The dress comes in white, peacock, plum, and red, besides black. I'd wear the dress to another dance event, with different accessories.

7. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

Removing duplicate post.

8. chachachacat

chachachacat Well-Known Member

I found a navy fringe dress at H&M on clearance for $10! I wore it last Halloween as a flapper.

Purr likes this.
  9. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

And this year your costume will be?

10. Sagitta

The start of another new day.

11. chachachacat

chachachacat Well-Known Member

I haven't even thought about it.

12. Sagitta

Dancing in a few and going to see some of my Syracuse friends.

13. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

Where do you dance in Syracuse? I may be there next week.

14. Sagitta

Friday I would dance at Ballybay, 500 Richmond avenue. If you are there what days would you be in Syracuse,NY?

15. cornutt

Probably Tuesday and Wednesday nights.

16. Lioness

Lioness Well-Known Member

Love love loving my new job. Everything's turning out really well. So happy that I finally have a reliable source of income.

j_alexandra and Sagitta like this.
  17. Sagitta

That's kind of tough. I don't know of anything on those nights, unless a dance studio has something. I don't live in Syracuse so wouldn't know of weekday night events unless they were really good and well publicized. I live in Ithaca and so I do know of a couple things here. Tuesday nights at Oasis dance club, where the Syracuse people were tonight. Then Wednesday this band plays for tips at Lot 10, usually a good crowd.

18. Sagitta

That's kind of tough. I don't know of anything on those nights, unless a dance studio has something. I don't live in Syracuse so wouldn't know of weekday night events unless they were really good and well publicized. I live in Ithaca and so I do know of a couple things here. Tuesday nights at Oasis dance club, where the Syracuse people were tonight. Then Wednesday this band plays for tips at Lot 10, usually a good crowd.

19. Sagitta

20. Sagitta

Stupid server. Tried for over 12 minutes while doing something else and now have a triplicate posting.:mad:

21. cornutt

Sagitta, thanks. As it turns out, I'm not going on this trip -- my DW is having surgery next week. How far a drive is it from Syracuse to Ithaca? I'm thinking that on some trip next summer I might stay over the weeked: do some dancing on Friday, and drive up to Oswego to watch Supermodifieds on Saturday. :cool: