Happy and/or Random Thoughts #3

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by samina, Oct 12, 2007.

1. Lioness

Lioness Well-Known Member

Successfully wrote a double dactyl poem!

j_alexandra likes this.
  2. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

POWER power POWER we got power
    <does happy dance>

3. samina

samina Well-Known Member

You Got Da Pow-Uh...!
    <<happy dance for you...especially on a night like tonight...>>

j_alexandra likes this.
  4. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

And there go my hopes of luring you down for thanksgiving! Lol.

j_alexandra likes this.
  5. mindputtee

mindputtee Well-Known Member

Definitely read that as "pterodactyl" poem.

j_alexandra likes this.
  6. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

That is hilarious.

7. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

You were not alone.

8. pygmalion

Random: Back in the early days of social networking and such, people *usually* had user names that meant something. What gives with the people, these days, who have user names that are clearly a random assortment of letters and numbers? What does that mean? Are they spammers? Have we run out of usernames that actually mean something? Are people so paranoid that they don't want to tip their hands even the slightest bit? This is disturbing.

I will say that I am much more likely to engage in conversation with someone named new_to_dance than someone named 1TRCSD732. Sorry, TRC. I have no freaking clue who you are, so I have no desire to engage with you, assuming that's what you wanted in the first place. Maybe you're just a spammer whose job it is to check out online forums for money and possible espionage. lol.

Sincerely,

E52GHT7X2

9. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

I have heard that eventually, constructing a safe password is going to get more and more difficult and we certainly see more spammers trying to get through with this new software....but I do think there are, as a result of that, more and more people who are choosing usernames with that in mind.....I think that it really is no different than with any member, I assume the best but keep a cautious eye until time has borne out what they are really all about...which can be just as ominous, even with a more recognizable username...but yea, those names do cause an initially raised eyebrow

10. pygmalion

My question is, assuming you're a well-intentioned but cautious person who comes up with a random-looking username. How the heck do you plan to remember your username, unless you write it down or use the same/similar username all over the net, thereby defeating the purpose of being random in the first place.

Really. *shrug*

11. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

Random Thought 1) Spammers, if anyone can stop the RoboCalls to cell phones and land lines THAT would be fabulous.
    Random Thought 2) Seriously considering getting a MAC lap top, as I'm sick and tired of spammers, malware, spyware and people who want to destroy businesses via virus development for revenge or otherwise (just sayin, off the top of my head)
    Random Thought 3) Viewed NorCal Strike Team (GO FRIENDS!!) assisting east coast (received msg,,,,"are you seriously retired?" lol, yep.
    Happy Thought 1) Found my 83 years young Uncle who I JUST visited in Belmar NJ, who LIVES DIRECTLY across the ocean/frontage road on the first floor apartment - He never evacuated before but after he listened to me, about all of my experiences, this time he left (last time(s) x2 he didn't), with my cousin in Wall, THANK YOU dear Cousin. And he's safe. Although the boardwalk is gone now.
    Happy Thought 2) While some of my cousin(s) in other NJ coastal areas lost their homes, they evacuated with our senior family elders, and they are safe.

fascination likes this.
  12. pygmalion

When i heard about all the Sandy stuff, 3W, I thought about the fact that you retired at just the right time. I'll keep your friends and family in my thoughts.

13. fascination

dunno...maybe there is a methodology to the very few of them that aren't spammers where each of those letters and numbers does have a meaning for them

14. pygmalion

Yeah. Stranger things have been known to happen.

15. fascination

obviously most of them are spammers and it is fairly instantly recognizable and we are far better equipped here now to eradicate it more swiftly and thoroughly

16. pygmalion

There was a post yesterday that I found absolutely hilarious. A spammer posted an ad for a product. A *real* DFer responded by saying, "Since I just spent time deleting 120 spam ads from my own blog, your post in DF comes as a breath of fresh air." What a hoot! Spammer eradication, and sarcasm as an added bonus.

I think that, by this point, most DFers ignore most of the spammers, most of the time. I do miss that Spam emoticon, though, I have to say. Not only was he cute, he came in quite handy, from time to time. *grin*

17. pygmalion

[​IMG]

Missed him, but here he is. :D

18. JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan Well-Known Member

Gangnam Style is a ridiculously fun song to dance to.

pygmalion likes this.
  19. pygmalion

Online interaction today led to my looking up this definition from way back.

Comment jumping (v): to disregard, not acknowledge, or skip over a comment when replying on a post or status update.

I have used this technique, on occasion, with trolls and such. I just didn't respond to what they said, but instead, responded to something plausible, like an earlier post or the OP. It can be pretty rude, when used as intended. lol. Maybe that's why I'm sensitive to it, when other people use it with me, intentionally or otherwise.

To avoid comment jumping, I just respond in brief to the comment above mine before I start my new thing, whatever that may be.

e.g. "Wow. It sucks that your car got sideswiped. Bummer. My bummer is that I got fired." I didn't ignore the sideswiped comment, but I did get my whine on.

20. fascination

interesting...I don't feel in the least obligated to respond to anything/anyone other than those to whom I wish to respond...good lord, I'd never get off the forum...some things inspire a comment from me..other things would just be obligatory bla bla...and, as your sig line says: kwim? not everything is worth commenting on to everyone...it isn't personal ...at least not for me...like, I may not have anything to say to ccm about grading papers and vag mon...doesn't mean I don't love her to death...I just don't have anything to say about it...

21. fascination

and, to be completely fair, it has never once occurred to me to be offended that someone else didn't comment on whatever I posted but had something to say to someone else....maybe there are people who choose to do it as a deliberate snub...I prefer not to ascribe that to anyone...