Happy and/or Random Thoughts #3

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by samina, Oct 12, 2007.

1. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Totally freaking awesome.

The entire LOTR trilogy is in theaters next weekend. Thirteen hours and twenty-seven minutes. Twenty-five bucks. Staring at 10:00AM and ending at 11 something PM. Worth every minute and every single penny. And to make it all better, The Hobbit comes out on the 14th.

Happy dance.
  2. pygmalion

Yay! Bought my first Chilean cherries of the winter season today. *happy dance*
  3. Lioness

Lioness Well-Known Member

Chicken, lettuce, cucumber and mango salad for lunch tomorrow. Can't wait.
  4. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Don'cha love looking forward to a healthy meal?

+++++++++++
    Happy and random thoughts:

DH is playing bits of Bach wossnames. *swoon* I knew I married him for a reason!

Looking through the WaPo's list of notable deaths. Ray Bradbury? Really?! I feel the sudden urge to go back and re-read Fahrenheit 451. This is following on the heels of watching The Great Gatsby, and thinking I should go back and re-read that...without it being ruined by being beaten over the head about such things as the symbolism in the color of so-and-so's tie, to the point where I (a voracious reader, of anything and everything, even if I didn't understand half of it) was completely turned off by what seems to have been a good story.

Side note (please don't take this personally, CCM)--I feel deeply resentful for the wonderful, classic books that were otherwise ruined for me by teachers. I used to read anything and everything I could get my hands on. It didn't matter if I didn't understand it all, or get all the words (Edgar Allan Poe in 5th grade?), I still read it. I got something out of it, I suppose...exposure, if nothing else. (And a difficulty with British v. English spelling, lol!) I loved to read. But to have otherwise wonderful novels ruined... I mean, it took me probably five years to go back to Steinbeck, after the debacle that was The Grapes of Wrath in 10th grade. It wasn't until I had a fantastic lit prof who guided us through East of Eden, in a way that enhanced the novel, that I found it in me to go back to TGOW. And this was even given the fact that I'd been an avid fan of Steinbeck's short stories when I was younger! And then, when I finally did go back to TGOW...OMG! As opposed to having the symbolism of the turtle's journey across the road beaten to death...I discovered a known author again, and fell in love with his descriptions, and, absent being beaten over the head with what to pay attention to, I was able to enjoy it so much more! I just wonder...if I, who loved to read anything, could get completely turned off from reading stunning classics...what sort of damage is being done with kids who are iffy about reading to begin with? Grrr.
    j_alexandra likes this.
  5. DrDoug

DrDoug Active Member

I sewed a button back on the cuff of a shirt that has button holes in both ends of the cuff so that it can be worn with cufflinks. Naturally, I put the button on the wrong end. (At least I got it on the outside and not the inside.)
  6. Peaches

I love my Tuesday morning commute: roll outta bed, stagger to bathroom to brush teeth, stagger down the hall to the office (stopping to grab the pink bunny onesie from the dresser and put it on), turn on Artemis. Done. If I wanna get fancy, I can go downstairs and get myself some DMD while things are booting up. Pretty effing fantastic!
    mindputtee likes this.
  7. Peaches

I'm on a regular schedule this pay period (5 8-hour days each week, instead of my usual 4 10-hour days). So yesterday--start at 7:15, day over at 3:45. Today: start at 6am, day over at 2:30. I felt half-panicked all day yesterday, because there just was not enough time in the day to do what I needed to. As it was, I ended up staying 45 minutes late; I just couldn't work my mind around the idea of the day being over at 3:45. By the time I had lunch, it was practically over! I realize that there is an additional day in the mix to make up for that time, but still...there isn't enough time! (Hell, most weeks I feel like there isn't enough time when I have my Fridays off, even though I work 10 hour days. I could easily fill 60 hours without blinking.) Strange. I want the rest of my day back.
  8. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

and now you know why I don't teach English any more.
  9. chachachacat

chachachacat Well-Known Member

I am feeling better! Yay!

(P - Also love Steinbeck)
    pygmalion and cornutt like this.
  10. pygmalion

I will be eternally grateful to Mrs. K, my ninth grade English teacher, whose love of her subject was so infectious that her students couldn't help but love it too. Of Mice and Men. Hamlet. Flowers for Algernon. The grooviness that is case of pronouns done correctly. Plus much more. She not only made these things make sense, she made them fun. And she refused to dumb stuff down. Even though the then-principal of the school had written alternate, easy-to-read, contemporary (aka dumbed down) versions of a few Shakespeare plays, we read the real thing. Hats off to Mrs. K, wherever she is. She had chutzpah.
  11. pygmalion

Random: Yesterday, some guy told me his last name. When I said it back to him, he said, "Wow. You must be Polish. You said my name just right." I was thinking, "Actually no, you twit. I listened and repeated what you said. This is not rocket science." But I didn't say it. Yes. His name had some cees and zees and ended in ski. But so what? Pronunciation is pronunciation. Not sure why people lower their expectations so much. Your name is your name. A line in the sand. (Easy for me to say, I suppose, since my name is so easy to pronounce.)

Random: Ordinary woman gets pregnant and can't eat or drink for a while. She goes to work and hopes her bosses don't notice that she's pregnant before she's ready to tell them. Princess gets pregnant and can't eat or drink. She is hospitalized and the whole world waits with bated breath. Pregnancy is pregnancy -- challenging for most of us. Get over it. Just sayin.

Random: I hate laundry. It used to be that I just hated dirty laundry, but no more. I hate laundry period. Dirty. Clean. No matter. Just burn everything except two outfits. One for today. One for tomorrow. Done.

Random: I cannot stand it when people do not control their kids. I was at a waiting area yesterday with a lady whose "adorable" child kept running in and out of the very heavy door. This kid was probably two and the Mom made zero attempt to keep him from underfoot or, more importantly, keep him safe, even though he had quite a few near misses. I know it's mean, but I kept thinking about what would happen if he caught his cute little hand in that heavy, heavy door, just once. I guess Mom would have to control his spoiled little bum for a change.

Random: I am devastated. DS is adamant that I don't have moves like Jaggar.

Random: DS and his BFF want to go to the midnight premier of The Hobbit. Gotcha. I say, "That's a great idea." I think,"There is absolutely no way in the world I'm taking you to the movies in the middle of the night (Middle of the night = when I would normally be asleep) on a school night, just so you can see Gandalf one more time." Not happening. I'm hoping BFF's older sister will take them. BFF did, after all, go to the Twilight midnight premier, something over and above the call of duty for a fifteen-year-old boy. Older sis wasn't allowed to go alone. *crossing fingers*

Random: I splashed BBQ sauce all over my brand new sweater. TDNWMH.

Random: DS wants to shave his (really cute) mustache, against the advice of my Dad, his Dad, and Uncle T. So I bought DS a shave kit. I can always play the clueless, helpless single Mom card, if I have to. *grin*

Just figured I'd share. :rolleyes:
  12. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Happy: thank you for spelling "bated" correctly!

But do you have moves like Jagger?
  13. pygmalion

I've totally got the moves like Jaggar. Totally. *grin*
  14. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

I like the Bach wossnames too.. I think a good teacher knows what a child's limits are. But I guess given some tools for understanding literature can be useful, even if its a chore at the time. I love reading but wasn't really into English literature lessons. it turns a pleasure into a chore. Never read Steinbeck though....there was too much sci-fi that needed reading and someone had to do it..

might revisit a Canticle for Leibowitz..but recommend vN by Madeline Ashby; a seriously intelligent book about robot intelligence, flawed in places but a good read.
  15. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

I think Jaguar was what was meant ;)
  16. chachachacat

chachachacat Well-Known Member

Shangela on Glee!
  17. pygmalion

Oops. Just caught this. Hey. It was four o'clock in the morning. You expect me to spell the names of legendary rock stars at 4 AM? I bet there've been more than a handful of times when Jagger couldn't spell Jagger at 4:00 in the morning.

And just for the record, I have moves like Jagger and a jaguar. I'm just a seriously movin chick. ;)
  18. Lioness

Lioness Well-Known Member

Got my full license! Now I can drive with up to an 0.05% blood alcohol reading. This is a nice change, because the previous tolerance was absolute zero.
  19. Peaches

Anyone have Christmas gift ideas for my new nieces? My first inclination was a Christmas ornament, but my mom has already staked that out with plenty of ornaments to go around. Sigh. Given that they'll be all of 1 or 3 months old, I realize they don't actually care one way or another (unlike older kids who would notice and care if they didn't get a gift), so perhaps a savings bond? I'm completely stuck on this.
  20. bia

bia Well-Known Member

Board books? It's never to early to start building their libraries. I like the ones by Sandra Boynton. Maybe in addition to the savings bond idea -- I like that.