Happy and/or Random Thoughts #3

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by samina, Oct 12, 2007.

1. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

savings bonds are always welcome...it's also never too early to introduce children to good music

2. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Watching Mr. Mom, which is both amusing and cringe-worthy on multiple levels. But what I find kind of amusing is that the Mustang that they use in the movie (neighbor's car) is so much like the car I took my driving test on (Mustang, 5.0L, red). Ah, the memories...

3. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

Why is it that, when Christmas shopping for others, so much stuff I want shows up?

4. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

The titles of threads started by the spambot this morning makes a kind of found poetry. Totally insane found poetry.

pygmalion likes this.
  5. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

The bots have been unusually busy today. Either that or the mod staff decided to get a decent night's sleep for a change, rather than staying awake just to delete nonsense.

6. fascination

fasc's laptop is broken...which has not helped

7. pygmalion

Random: Got DS's progress report. Only one nasty surprise, which was related to his not linking his online assignments properly, so the teacher couldn't access them. Also a few very pleasant surprises. Not bad, considering that I have been almost totally hands off this year.

Random: I heard something on NPR about grief, just your ordinary garden variety grief, potentially being reclassified as depression. Not sure how I feel about this. I will have to do some reading about it.

Random: DS showed me a blurb on youtube. The kid from the TV show Two and a Half Men is actively encouraging people not to watch the show because, from his perspective, the show is "filth." I have very mixed feelings about this. The main thing I feel though, is that it must somehow violate his contract for him to badmouth the show he stars in. I can't imagine how it wouldn't. I think a bunch of other stuff I shouldn't say online. I also think that the show can't catch a break with both hands. First the whole Charlie Sheen thing. Now this. Top comedy in America or not, it may not be long for this world.

Random: One Dallas Cowboy dead. Another one with his life ruined. All because of driving under the influence. *sigh*

Random: I love the movie Titanic just as much now as I did the first time I saw it. Fortunately, I have finally overcome the need to sob uncontrollably at the end. That was annoying.

8. fascination

reclassifying grief as depression is both assinine and dangerous...there is a world of difference between clinical depression and grief... and how it should be treated....certainly people who have clinical depression histories can also be bereaved and other bereaved can also become clinicallly depressed....but there is a very specific way to evaluate that and treating most bereaved as though they are suffering depression, and particularly medicating them, is counter productive and irresponsible for everyone but the pharmaceutical industry...end rant...this isn't something that most people are even qualified to have an opinion on...sorry...my two cents

edit to add, garden variety depression is not really a classification or something which requires treatment either...which is why I am talking about clinical depression

j_alexandra likes this.
  9. fascination

re; 2 1/2 men...does he think that about the entire run? or just recently?...because I have found it to be fairly raunchy from the get go

edit to add....I was fine with the raunchiness btw, but I didn't let my kids watch the earliest seasons...so I am wondering where he and/or his parents were with the earliest seasons....or is it just now when the shark has been jumped and enough money has been earned?

10. pygmalion

He didn't clarify. He just made some pretty rambling and sweeping statements on a video that was probably intended for a very narrow audience but went viral. After I googled this morning, I found out that he also issued an apology the next day. So apparently, the $350K he makes per episode is still attractive enough for him to want to avoid doing a Charlie Sheen (i.e. getting fired for ranting against the hand that is feeding him.)

These people. Sheesh.

ETA: And yes. The show is raunchy. I wouldn't use the word filth. Not a fan of words that heavily loaded. But yes. It is definitely raunchy.

11. pygmalion

My first reaction to this was similar to my reaction to the whole attention deficit issue. I could just visualize a bunch of people who are going through the normal grieving process arguably getting misdiagnosed and potentially medicated rather than being allowed and encouraged to go through the process. Not pretty, IMV. Same deal as with ADHD. Take a bunch of kids who are acting out (the way some kids do) plunk them into a different category and sell them Ritalin. Been down that road.

That being said, anybody can have an opinion. It's an informed opinion that may be hard to come by. *grin*

fascination likes this.
  12. bia

bia Well-Known Member

pygmalion, regarding the kid from 2 1/2 men, I do cut him some slack because he is just a kid. His parents signed him up for this show that was already raunchy when he was little; the show has gotten even more explicit over time, as he's grown up enough to be given larger parts in the raunchiness and also to develop an awareness of what he's taking part in. So he seems to have become uncomfortable and embarrassed about it, which I get. It was naive of him to think he could keep his rant private, and it was ungrateful and hypocritical of him to criticize the source of his significant income, but the fact that he apologized promptly is in his favor. Now he just needs to not renew his contract when it comes up next, and this episode can be chalked up as a learning experience for young man growing up in public. Not really parallel with Charlie Sheen's long term misbehavior as an adult, I don't think.

13. samina

samina Well-Known Member

Amen, on both accounts, fasc. I consider myself personally qualified to have an opinion because dealing with both depression and grief factored largely in my life. I've often given thanks that the former was a factor before it became vogue to get drugged up for it, because I can't imagine successfully dealing with that challenge if one is numbed out by drugs. And I would question the motives of any party suggesting to similarly medicate someone who possesses genuine grief.

It is dismaying to me how our culture is increasingly obsessed with "all that matters is to be happy, happy, happy" all the time, without any accompanying education as to how one actually achieves a sense of well-being without medicating substances. And how readily purveyors of chemical substances find ever new (and harmful) justifications for administering their products.

/rant (but couldn't resist, as it's a point so rarely made -- thanks for making it, fasc)

j_alexandra likes this.
  14. pygmalion

Agreed on all counts. He started the show when he was nine and may not even have known some of the raunchiness he was participating in. Now he's a young adult and may see things from a totally different perspective than his parents.

But still ... one would think he'd know better than saying anything negative about the show, especially after the Charlie Sheen incident. Don't like it? Fulfill your existing contract then quit.

A third of a million dollars per few minutes on film is a lot of money. This young man needs to develop an attitude of gratitude, IMHO.

If I owned the studio that owns the show, I'd be running auditions as we speak. There are a lot of young men who all look very similar, with a military haircut, which his character now has. The transition might be rough, but TV viewers have short memories. They still love the show without Charlie Sheen, the original STAR. I think they'll get over replacing the kid.

15. fascination

Sam...thanks...yes...there are distinctions between depression, chronic clinical depression where an imbalance exists that is so great that progress is unlikely without medical intervention, and grief.....I also get that there are times when there is an overlap, where an optimal plan of care may encompass social and medical solutions...but, as always, busy people who want to make something unpleasant go away can, far too often think that simply popping that pill will be the best way to get momma over that 30 year marriage in less than two months....I get that sometimes a trauma is too great to be dealt with right away, I get than an over the counter sleeping med in order to get some sleep may help progress...I get that someone who has previously attempted suicide or who has a complicated trauma history might need to be monitored for slipping into clinical depression...but grief is a normal and important process...and when it is blunted, simply because it is unpleasant, the resolution is only put on hold and the "coping" or lack thereof can come out in horrible ways or be prolonged...this is a HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE pet peeve of mine as many innocent people go to their physicians wanting to feel better...and their physicians having NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO training (or at most, a one hour session within one class in med school) write them a script.....it is irresponsible and often the physicians themselves have no idea that they are hampering wellness...bereavement is a very separate discipline that, sadly, receives little attention from those who most need to be cross-trained in it

16. fascination

I think it's time for the show to die...let the characters people love do a spin - off

17. fascination

does anyone at all give a damn about kim kardashian's cat?.....why is that trending news?.....is her mother simply sitting there and clicking on it all day long?

18. bia

bia Well-Known Member

Absolutely. Though I'm sure that living in a show business bubble since young childhood can seriously warp a person's perception of money. It seems that he could use some time in the real world for a number of reasons.

19. samina

samina Well-Known Member

I agree, but it takes wisdom to judiciously apply medical intervention. I pray that anyone who takes that step has that kind of counsel at hand, though I do not have confidence that is so.

yes. yes. yes...exponentially, yes.

j_alexandra likes this.
  20. samina

samina Well-Known Member

I am fairly certain those "trending news" links are not automated in any way from actual readers...they are purposely generated, and will trend only because someone added them to the list.