Happy and/or Random Thoughts #3

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by samina, Oct 12, 2007.

1. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

*heavy sigh*

Thanks for sharing. ;)
  2. Zhena

Zhena Well-Known Member

It is mandatory that DH receive Lego for Christmas.

He will be 60 in two weeks.

Nuff said ...
  3. pygmalion

OMG! That is hilarious!!
  4. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

cats win!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! breaking zillion year dry spell......rawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwr
    pygmalion likes this.
  5. bia

bia Well-Known Member

I got DH a Rubiks cube for Christmas. It was a hit. No surprise after last year, when he monopolized the one my niece got the whole time we were there.
  6. pygmalion

I got DS one of those, as well, as one of his lunch box treats this year. Our tradition is for him to get a special treat in his school lunch box every day from Thanksgiving to Christmas. The Rubix cube, a paddle ball, a koosh ball and a miniature slinky were his faves. Oh yeah and a couple miniature stuffed animals -- a pug that now "lives" on DS's alarm clock and a fluffy multicolored caterpillar that now "lives" in his locker at school.

Lesson? Never underestimate the capacity of men to be boys.

btw mission accomplished. Offensive argyle sweaters replaced with Nerf and Lego. Awesome. Just ask DS. He'll tell ya.
  7. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

You know you love it. :D
  8. fascination

I do love it :)
    cornutt likes this.
  9. NURDRMS

NURDRMS Well-Known Member

The Senate confirmed my nomination for Major General today. I guess they'd rather vote on me than the fiscal cliff stuff...
  10. pygmalion

Congrats!!!! :)
  11. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Congratulations!
  12. Lioness

Lioness Well-Known Member

I have the next two days off. I bought an awesome Nerf gun today, and then had an hour-long Nerf fight with my housemates.

I love my housemates. I love my Nerf gun.

And then I made an amazing banana-blackberry-passionfruit smoothie. Life is so good.
  13. pygmalion

That's blaster to you sister!

Just kidding. It was so, so funny. When DS was a baby, just like new parents everywhere, I thought I knew everything about parenting when I pretty much knew nothing.**

I decided that DS would not be allowed to have any guns, even toy guns. Unfortunately, I had not received the memo. Kids like toy guns because they are fun. DS was a little tyke the first time he made something else into a pretend gun. Anything and everything was a gun. Clothespins. Toilet paper rolls. You name it. (Pretty interesting, since I didn't let him watch any commercial television until he was four and his daycare/ pre-preschool, a pretentious little place called Primrose* Academy, would not even think of allowing such a toy on its premises. Where DS got the notion of guns when he was watching Barney videos and Veggie Tales I have no idea. )

Anyway, pretty soon, he graduated beyond the point where surrogates would work. But he knew that guns were off limits. So he started asking for "blasters." What a hoot! Smart kid. He didn't want guns. He wanted blasters. Funny. Those blasters looked just like toy guns to me. But hey. It was at about this point that I realized I was fighting a losing *blaster* battle. I was probably making the toy guns more attractive by my zero-tolerance prohibition. So I let him have an occasional blaster, generally a Nerf blaster. What's hilarious is that, to this day, he still calls them blasters. Win win. He gets to play with toys of his choice. I can kid myself that I've never had guns in my house -- only blasters. :D

Funny thing is that DS, the young man, is not into real guns at all. He doesn't even like "shooter' video games. He says they're too violent. He can hold his own in an epic Nerf blaster or Super Soaker battle, though. Gotta give the boy credit.

Parenting lesson learned. Choose your battles. And don't expect your kids to be the embodiment of your idealistic parenting goals. IOW get real.

* The place I withdrew him from when the school administrator accused him and his BFF, A, of being gay because they "hugged too much." Seriously!?! They were three. What three-year-old doesn't hug? Not to mention that A is not American and comes from a culture in which it's okay for men to make physical contact in public. That parent teacher conference was surreal. I was like,"Two things. One. Are you seriously suggesting to me that two toddlers hugging is a sign of homosexuality? And two. Let me go on record as saying that, if they were gay, that would be fine by me." I was not well-liked by the school staff after that. That's how DS ended up in Montessori school which, incidentally, cost about half of what Primrose cost. Pssh.

** See the Great Cloth Nappie Debacle of 1997. I bought twelve dozen cloth diapers only to realize, within a week of being discharged from the hospital, that there was no way in hell I'd ever use them. As diapers, anyway. Burp cloths, yes. Diapers? No stinking way. What was I thinking? Oh, what a hoot! I ended up giving most of them to one of the ex's friends. I bet she didn't use them, either.
  14. NURDRMS

NURDRMS Well-Known Member

Pyg, I used cloth diapers for several months with my oldest, but I had a diaper service (do they even still have such a thing? this was 30 years ago.) that took care of the cleaning for me. That ended when daughter started standing up and 'things' fell out of the leg openings. Then it was disposables from there on out. We adopted youngest when she was about a year old, so we were already past the standing stage at that point.
  15. pygmalion

I'm pretty sure diaper services still exist. I know they did when DS was a baby and I remember seeing an ad for one more recently than that, when I was shopping for shower gifts for a girlfriend. I did mean well but, between working full time, taking care of DS almost 100% by myself, recovering from a C-section, and lots of difficulty breastfeeding, washing diapers just wasn't going to happen.

DS survived ... mostly without emotional scars. lol.

btw, my Mom says that the six-month diaper service she received as a gift for my/twin sis's baby shower was the best gift she ever received. I know I'm dating myself, but disposable diapers didn't exist back then. It was cloth nappies or nothing. Yes. I am old.
  16. mindputtee

mindputtee Well-Known Member

Got a UPS notification today that a package had shipped for me from Chrisanne... I don't remember ordering anything. o_O
  17. raindance

raindance Active Member

Maybe they just like you. :D
  18. fascination

no...they meant to send it to me:)...just forward it here
  19. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Take it, but check your credit card statement. ;)
  20. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

DH and I picked up two rotisserie chickens this past weekend. Yeah, sure, it was $10...but we've gotten about five meals of curried chicken salad out of it, a bowl of "soup" (meat in the stock I made from the carcass), and I'll end up canning about 8 quarts of chicken soup (made with the homemade stock, no less). Not too bad at all!