Happy and/or Random Thoughts #3

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by samina, Oct 12, 2007.

1. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

The death of "Dear Abby" yesterday has me thinking of the short story "The Best of Betty," by Jincy Willett.

I'm not generally a fan of short stories, but I happen to like that one. (I also happen to like the anthology I found it in: Children Playing Before a Statue of Hercules, edited by David Sedaris. It's got some stories in there that really hit me hard.)

Unfortunately, I can't seem to find my copy of that book. I think it's on loan to my SIL. Gotta get it back...or buy another copy. Hmmm...
  2. Peaches

duplicate post...
  3. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

I was saddened to hear of the death of Dear Abby. I was even more saddened to hear that she struggled with Alzheimer's for the last years of her life. Alzheimer's is a terrible disease for anyone but, for some reason, I find it even sadder than usual when it involves someone who used their intellect and judgment in their work.

There were some funny excerpts on NPR yesterday from a a radio interview she did in 1981. It was really, really ... um .. funny to hear Dear Abby talking about women over fifty and sex. From what her niece (who writes the Ann Landers column now) said, Dear Abby was also an early outspoken advocate for the rights of LGBT people, and didn't mind taking heat for it (which she did anytime she wrote a column about it.) She also said that her view on premarital sex evolved from the time she started her column in 1956. She came to believe that adults who are old enough to live away from home have the right to consensual relationships with whomever they please. And she took heat for that too.

All in all, she was a remarkable lady.

May she rest in peace.
  4. pygmalion

Happy thought:

DS left his brand new $600 list price ($194 including taxes and fees with the 2-year agreement) phone in the C-store bathroom.

No silly! That's not the happy thought.

The happy thought is that it was in the lost and found at the front desk when I got him back to the convenience store thee hours later. Yes. There are still honest people in the world. apparently, the kid who turned the phone in had recently lost his own phone, so he could relate to DS's dismay.

Related happy thought: I am very proud of myself. When I realized the phone was missing, I didn't yell or scream. I didn't blame. I didn't mention the fact that I just spent $200 on this phone three weeks ago. Nope. I just calmly told DS that things happen to everyone and that, whether the phone was gone or not, we'd work it out together.

A very good parenting moment, if I must say so myself. )

Nice. :)
    chachachacat likes this.
  5. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

all politics aside...please...tickled that President and Michelle are handling the clutch and sway better this time around...in fairness, "At Last" was just way too slow...."I'm so in Love with you" was way better
  6. pygmalion

Why do I have the feeling that the can throw down on the dance floor, but are dumbing down their dance for show? Seriously. Seven figure incomes followed by four years in the White House, and all they can do is clutch and sway? They couldn't pay for dance lessons? Yeah. Right.

Checked in for randomness.

1) I am coming up on 50,000 posts. i would much appreciate it if y'all would post stuff I can respond to. Thank you very much.

2) Decided to get back into going to concerts this year. Googled and found that the people whose concerts I want to see are filed under "old school." i suppose this makes me old. Dangit. I don't give a flip. I'm going to the old school revues concerts.
  7. pygmalion

I am such a dingdong. I lost track and ran out of gas. Seriously ran out. As in the car will turn on, but keeps shutting off.

This was extremely dumb of me, I admit, but it led me to have a truly wonderful experience. I headed out walking to the grocery store/gas station which was probably about two miles away from the car. It was cold and overcast today, but hey. I needed gas. So off I walked, down the highway. What a drag.

I made it to the gas station just fine, but on my way back it started to rain. Cold, misty, damp right through you bones kind of rain. I was about half way back to the car when a complete and total stranger stopped his car and insisted on giving me his brand new Totes, golf-sized umbrella. He absolutely insisted. He said that he was in a warm, safe car, and that I was out in the elements.

He gave me his umbrella. Wow. :)
  8. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Did he also give you a ride?
  9. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

what sane woman would get into a car with a total stranger, no matter how generous he is with his umbrellas?
    dancelvr, Lioness and fascination like this.
  10. Peaches

11. pygmalion

That never crossed my mind, although I suppose it would have if he'd offered me a ride. As it was, he was very polite and not at all intrusive. A very, very nice man. :)
  12. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Young Adult Group starting up in my area. Lots of good possibilities. :)
    pygmalion likes this.
  13. Peaches

Any suggestions on how best to deal with a nail that's very thin and peeling? I'd had a gel manicure for a while, but I stopped that because I was wary about how thin my nails were, on account of the buffing down each time. So now, no gel manicure, but one of my nails is extremely thin and it's been peeling. I've been trying to keep a layer of polish on it to try and protect it a bit, but does anyone have any other ideas? Cutting it shorter isn't an option--my nails are already about as short as I can possibly get them.
  14. pygmalion

Bummer. I don't know of any solutions other than the one you're already using. Back in the day, I kept an acrylic manicure for a couple years. The only thing that "fixed" it was time -- allowing my nails to grow completely out from the root.

I could have sworn Sally Hansen used to make a nail repair product, but I just checked their site and couldn't find anything. I'll keep looking. :cool:
  15. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

nailtiques. I had thin, peeling, hopeless nails. nailtiques. my nails are now quite hard. nailtiques. CVS carries it.
  16. Peaches

17. pygmalion

Oh. Didn't realize nail hardener was what I was looking for. :oops: Sally Hansen has something that's called Maximum Shield, which supposedly hardens nails, as well. (I'd go with the proven product, though. I'd take j_alex's word over an online ad any day of the week. :) )

[tangent alert] I Know Sally Hansen used to have a nail repair kit you could buy, though, but it's been years, so I suppose that was discontinued. What I found on their site was a neat tip about repairing a torn nail that's too short for cutting. Get this. Cut a little strip of paper from a tea bag pouch. Paint a layer of base coat over the tear. Place the strip of paper over the tear. Paint with top coat and you're done. I guess they no longer sell nail repair. If they did, I doubt they'd be telling anyone to use tea bags. lol[end tangent]

Incidentally, one of my sister's used to swear by drinking Knox Gelatin to strengthen nails. From what I'm able to google, that's a myth. I also know a few friends who swear by a nail and hair growth dietary supplement. I have no idea whether that's really effective, but I have read that the biotin in those supplements is supposed to work. Can't hurt to try it.
  18. Peaches

I generally have ZERO problems with my nails. They're plenty thick, nice and hard, don't usually chip or peel or anything. I don't cut them when they're dry, because they're too thick and it really hurts; I have to cut them in the shower, at the very end, when they've gotten nice and pliable. I'm just having issues right now because they'd been buffed four weeks in a row, which means they've gotten very thin. They grow plenty fine, but it's still going to take a while to grow them out.

I've found that my nails do respond to what I eat, in a way. Growing up, when we were doing the fat free vegetarian diet, my nails were an absolute mess. When I stopped that, and started eating more protein/meat and fat, the problem resolved itself nicely.
  19. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Fiberglass.
  20. pygmalion

Freaking new DF editing weirdness. *sigh*