Happy and/or Random Thoughts #3

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by samina, Oct 12, 2007.

1. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

pondering all the things I can do to stay out of the house during the superbowl...first, because I have no interest in it, secondly, because dh will be pulling out a plethora of toxic foods ...it is his joy and I cannot deprieve him of it....but, we already had baked potato bar on friday, I cannot afford superbowl food-gasm...I have a comp coming and I would rather not wish I was wearing a burka for latin

Denada Dance and pygmalion like this.
  2. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

I'll watch but I probably won't be paying a lot of attention... might be browsing DF at the same time. How's that for gender bending? :D

3. nikkitta

nikkitta Well-Known Member

Understood. It's not like I didn't buy anything else -- I had a meal. There must be profit in that. I drink a lot of water with my food, and getting multiple bottles of expensive Perrier or whatnot to accomplish that is nuts (to me). I rarely eat out, but I have to admit it can be an interesting test to see how well the waitstaff is paying attention with those multiple refills. Do they magically appear when the glass is low, or do I need to wave someone down?

4. Spitfire

Spitfire Well-Known Member

My best job prospect yet. After initial job interview I was selected for BG check; app submitted and approved. Need to get finger printed and turn some additional paperwork in and it can begin.

5. mindputtee

mindputtee Well-Known Member

Grape amp is my new favorite thing. :)

6. Lioness

Lioness Well-Known Member

I have a shiny new iPhone!

j_alexandra, Subliminal and pygmalion like this.
  7. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Just a little update... Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU, J_alex, for recommending Nailtiques. I finally made it to a CVS and picked up a bottle. My nails had only deteriorated further by the time I did--the one nail I was having problems with before got much worse, and every day another nails would tear and peel. I couldn't stop it. I got the Nailtiques on Sunday, cut my nails down short, and put the stuff on. Knock on wood, but it's now been three days without any further damage, and it doesn't look like more damage is imminent. I can't thank you enough. This stuff is amazing.

j_alexandra and pygmalion like this.
  8. wonderwoman

wonderwoman Active Member

Sounds like something I need. My nails have been more brittle than usual.

My hair needs cut badly too.

Oh wait this is not whining thread.

9. chachachacat

chachachacat Well-Known Member

My nails have improved tremendously from coconut oil. Stronger, much less ridged, no peeling, less breakage!

10. nikkitta

nikkitta Well-Known Member

on your nails or in your tummy?

11. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

You're from Western Pa/Pittsburgh area! That's the only place I've known, where they eliminate the "to be" verb from sentences like this. I bet you put your hair back in a gum band, too.

12. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

I know! My first teacher's wife was from western PA and she did the same thing. It was the first (and only, until now) time I'd ever heard that. I also found it interesting that she never referred to her home state as Pennsylvania, only "pee-ae."

j_alexandra likes this.
  13. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Yins.

j_alexandra likes this.
  14. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Not just Western PA. Pretty much anywhere except Philly. All my pals in the Lehigh Valley and parts north say the same sorts of things. "The potatoes need boiled." "My car needs washed." Etc. Blew me away, the first several times I heard it, but I got used to it, eventually.

15. chachachacat

chachachacat Well-Known Member

On the nails.

I knew a woman from Akron, Ohio who talked like that. Strange.

16. j_alexandra

Snow day! Damn huge snow day! collecting movies, building a fire, opening wine...

17. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

joining you in solidarity...

18. j_alexandra

Ahhhhhhh. Smash has started up again; NBC dot com streaming the first two episodes. Color me entertained.

19. pygmalion

It seemed strange to me, at first, too. But, when I thought about it a bit, I figured that grammatical structure was probably related to the language(s) of the immigrant groups who settled in that part of PA and Ohio. (Where's DWise1 when you need him? Or bia, maybe?)

This would also be a fine question for the linguists that host A Way With Words on NPR. Does anybody know how to submit a question for a radio talk show? Hmm. Shall google.

I do know that some proponents of Ebonics (African American vernacular speech) point out that the sentence structure used in Ebonics mimics sentence structure of certain West and Central African languages. That sentence structure may sound strange in English, but its roots come from a valid place. (I have no wish to open the can of worms that is a discussion about Ebonics, nor am I comparing Ebonics to western PA colloquial speech.) I'm just citing an example that needs cited. :p

20. pygmalion

Googling accomplished. To contact A Way With Words, you call and record a message or email a question. If your question gets chosen, a producer will contact you. This show gets thousands of contacts a year, though, and it's only a half hour show, once a week, most weeks of the year. There's the rub. I'll call and ask, but it might be a while before we get the lowdown on why western PA folks omit the phrase "to be," unless one of the many word geeks here in DF can help us out.

http://www.waywordradio.org/contact/