Happy and/or Random Thoughts #3

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by samina, Oct 12, 2007.

1. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Random: Ordering a sandwich at Subway is always an adventure.

First, there was the grown man who, when asked what kind of cheese he wanted, said, "White." Uhh. white is a color. And oh btw we have three different kinds of white cheese. What kind of cheese do you want, sir?"

Then there was the man who absolutely insisted that the "sandwich artist" break the sequence, go over to the condiments section during the middle of the lunch rush, so she could DRENCH his bread in oil and vinegar before she started the sandwich. Then, of course, he asked for more and vinegar after the sandwich was done.

Then there was the couple who clearly had no idea of what they wanted for lunch and who had to consult each other every step of the way. "Come on folks! Surely by now, you know whether or not you like onion!"

This is why I couldn't work in retail. The sheer random weirdness of people would drive me crazy.

On a tangential note: Why do people always say black olives, even when there are no green olives around? Just curious.
    Mr 4 styles likes this.
  2. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

because there SHOULD be green olives for an italian sub!!!
  3. pygmalion

No green olives: Another one of life's great injustices. ;)
  4. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

oh the horror!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D concur
  5. chachachacat

chachachacat Well-Known Member

Trader Joe's has the best canned green olives! They are delicious, very close to black olives.
    pygmalion likes this.
  6. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

nephew; "auntie, I love your car"
    me; "well thanks trev, but it is a very dirty car today"
    nephew; "no auntie, I mean I love this car because of all of the good memories inside of it"

me; blink and gulp
    chachachacat and dancelvr like this.
  7. pygmalion

Hmm. Funny. I've always thought that black olives come in cans; green olives come in jars. I guess you learn something every day. :)
  8. fascination

I have had those olives and they are good, but I am always leary of buying olives that I can't see
  9. pygmalion

I read some weird thing recently about why black olives are black. Can't remember most of it, but the impression I got is that black olives are almost always going to be in a can. I'll google.
  10. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

I get kalamata black olives from the Fresh Market deli all the time. They're much better than canned.
  11. fascination

yea..I don't like black olives from a can, and I prefer green in general, but I will eat just about any olive from the bins in the market
  12. Lioness

Lioness Well-Known Member

Did my first assisted chin up today! Used to only be able to get halfway up using my resistance band, but now I can go all the way!
    j_alexandra, pygmalion and cornutt like this.
  13. pygmalion

Hah! Just got the straight dope (This is actually not where I read this before. It's just the first link that came up this time.)

Black olives in cans are picked before they're ripe, then artificially ripened; exposure to oxygen makes them turn black. They have to be cooked in the can to inhibit bacterial growth. Green olives are picked before they ripen and are pickled in brine which has the proper pH to inhibit bacterial growth without the need for cooking.

Ripe olives are either purple or black. So, if you're getting un-canned black or purple olives, that means that they were allowed to ripen on the tree. They're still packed in brine, though.

Far more than I ever wanted to know about olives. Just sayin.

http://www.straightdope dot com/columns/read/2885/why-is-it-that-green-olives-come-in-glass-jars-but-black-olives-come-in-cans
  14. pygmalion

That is precious.

Kids. They say unexpected things that make you laugh and unexpected things that make you cry. In a good way. :)
  15. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure Hans Zimmer has all of one sound when it comes to composing movie scores. DH and I can both pick out something he wrote, a mile away.

Also, The Dark Knight Rises is stupid as hell. Not even pretty fun. Best part: chickie who is current incarnation of cat woman is sexy as hell in the latex suit.
  16. pygmalion

Random: Listening to Celia Cruz makes me want to drop it like it's hot. lol

j_alexandra likes this.
  17. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

It's an oldies kind of morning: "Love is Blue," "Come On Down to My Boat," "Brown Eyed Girl," some S&G... It's a good morning. :)
    chachachacat and pygmalion like this.
  18. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

is it the only safe context in which the word "black" can be used?
  19. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

anne-hathaway-catwoman-in-new-jersey-07.jpg
    talking of which; I have just installed a cat flap in an outside wall.
  20. pygmalion

Silly man!

Black mood. Black clouds. Black and white. Mean black woman flying over the pond to give btm a good ear-boxing ... uhhh oops!