Happy and/or Random Thoughts #3

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by samina, Oct 12, 2007.

1. Subliminal

Subliminal Well-Known Member

I still got it! First private lesson in... hmm. Almost a year, I think. And my teacher says if anything my technique has jelled. A few minor touch-ups here and there, a new way of looking at balance. All and all a great lesson. Woo hoo! Now to get back on the social dance floor.
    cornutt likes this.
  2. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Awesome. Congrats. :)
  3. pygmalion

Random thoughts from my trip to the strip mall.

1) Nobody under the age of forty knows how to bag groceries. I blame this on those stupid plastic bags. When you had to use paper bags it was obvious when you were doing it wrong. Full bags that were shaped like a rectangular prism = right. Anything else = try again, sweetheart. The plastic bags all become amorphous blobs, so nobody cares about quality control.

2) It does absolutely no good to order fast food efficiently. Honest to goodness. This is the conversation I had with the girl at Wendy's.

Me: I'd like the fish sandwich combo no cheese with chili instead of fries plus the largest iced tea you have unsweetened.
    Her: Would you like cheese on that?
    Me: No cheese.
    Her: What size fries?
    Me: Small chili instead
    Her: What would you like to drink?
    Me: Iced tea
    Her: Sweet tea?
    Me: No unsweetened
    Her: What size?
    Me: *pull out hair by the roots*
    chachachacat likes this.
  4. nikkitta

nikkitta Well-Known Member

It seems fast food employees are on autopilot and go through the litany of management-prescribed questions regardless of the initial request. Re: baggers, do they even train them correctly these days? Or do they just not give a flying fart?

Random: so, if I have a bag of chocolate candy with one of those reclosable zipper thingies, and it won't reclose, that means I can eat the whole bag.

Right? :p
    pygmalion likes this.
  5. NURDRMS

NURDRMS Well-Known Member

everyone knows chocolate goes bad if exposed to the air...
    pygmalion likes this.
  6. pygmalion

I think it depends. Have you ever seen those guys/gals in the national bagging contest? Oh my goodness! I've seen the finals on TV a couple times. Mind-bogglingly beautiful bags. They use paper bags btw. OTOH, it's clear that the kids at my local grocery store have had ZERO training.

Clues: Canned goods do not belong in the bag with the bread.
    Just because you can fit nineteen items in one flimsy plastic bag doesn't mean you should
    If the can has a warning that its contents are toxic, I don't want it near my food.
    Etc.

IOW common sense, which seems to be in short supply these days. *sigh**

Can you tell that this is a hot button issue for me? :oops:

But of course.
  7. Lioness

Lioness Well-Known Member

IMO, non-squashable stuff goes under the squashable stuff. Chemicals are separated from food. That's all I care about.
    Then again, we pay 15c a bag to reduce waste and encourage recyclable bags...which I forget...cram as much as you can into my bag without squashing anything, lol. I don't want to buy more bags than I have to... :p
  8. pygmalion

A lot of stores here sell reusable bags that are made of some sort of paper/fabric blend. Some other stores give a discount if you bring your own bags. I use those if I remember. But if, like yesterday, I forget, then I'm stuck with the flimsiest plastic bags on earth. Trust me. Stuffing those plastic bags= bags that fall apart on their way to the car.
  9. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Wow. $0.15 per bag? Pretty cool. In some places around here they instituted a $0.05 per bag fee, and OMG was there much wailing and gnashing of teeth. Personally, I thought it was brilliant. I wish the fee were higher.

Crappy bagging is a pet peeve of mine as well. A while ago I bought a rotisserie chicken (shocking, I know)...and the cashier was doing a great job of things...until he decided to cram the chicken into another bag...on its side! Chicken juices everywhere! Eurgh.

I've got a bunch of reusable bags, and a couple of baskets that I use. I always find it amusing that cashiers seem to go to great lengths to avoid using the baskets. To the point of switching to plastic bags, while leaving the baskets empty. Strange, and annoying. Or when I put things on the belt nicely grouped together, and all of that goes out the window because they're trying to cram bags full and packing by size/shape. Grumblecakes.

Yeah, bad bagging is something of a pet peeve of mine as well.
  10. pygmalion

Yeah.

What blows my mind is that, when I remember to take my reusable bags, I take maybe a dozen or so. Every single time, the cashiers insist on cramming them full. Look. I have bags, and I would really prefer not to have to carry bags that weigh 50 pounds apiece. It's okay. Use another bag.

I think that baggers should be required to carry the bags they pack. One day of that, and they'll see the error of their ways.
  11. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

It's because you said it all too fast for her to push the right buttons on the POS machine.
    Lioness likes this.
  12. pygmalion

Customer service skill #1: Listening. If you can't push the buttons fast enough, fine. Just listen.
  13. mindputtee

mindputtee Well-Known Member

I'm always impressed when they get my Starbucks order right on the first go. It's not that complicated of a drink but it has to be made in the right order so if you miss something it has to be completely remade, and half of the baristas don't seem to know what "espresso con panna" means.
  14. Lioness

Lioness Well-Known Member

Yep! A few years ago we instituted a "plastic bag ban"...meaning that supermarkets no longer supply flimsy plastic bags. You can pay $0.15 for a stronger, more recyclable plastic bag, or around $1.00 for a canvas one.
    As someone who was working in a supermarket at the time, there was a huge whingeing amongst people who didn't want to pay. Still is...
    But many more people recycle bags now.
  15. pygmalion

I'm not sure the disincentive is big enough.Where I work, about three years ago, there was a big drive to have people bring their own cups rather than use disposable ones. Now, you have to pay $0.20 per disposable cup. So people do. It's rare for people to bring their own cups and it's rare that anybody complains anymore. They just pay $0.20 more for coffee. *shrug*
  16. pygmalion

Random: Spent some time yesterday watching Extreme Couponing, the reality show. I've been couponing for a very long time,so I get the culture and the allure. I found some of these people CRAZY. It looked like hoarding and/or spending addiction under an innocuous name, to me.

I did find a couple of folks admirable, though -- the ones that couponed for Feed America.
  17. pygmalion

Added: The lady who was proud that she has enough feminine hygiene products in her "stockpile" to last her "well into menopause" (She's in her twenties, I'd guess) really gave me the creeps.

Random note from me to DS: A "donation" of $50 in exchange for some virtual doo-dads in a video game= buying even more stuff you don't need. Something to do with SkullGirlz. Apparently the game developers have been laid off but they have won the rights to SkullGirlz software development and marketing. So now they've asked the gamers who play to "donate" money toward further development efforts. All righty then.

OTOH, they need 600 grand and, as of last night, were nearing $432,000. Somebody is donating.

Gamers are weird.
    Subliminal likes this.
  18. Subliminal

Hehe. I had no idea what it was either until I looked it up on wikipedia. :D Maybe try ordering it as a "Cafe Vienna" and see what you get? :)
  19. Subliminal

Haha! It's not just gamers! It's a new model. Did you see that the Veronica Mars Movie Kickstarter broke 3.6 million dollars through crowdfunding? They still have 25 days left to go. Their goal was only 2 million dollars and people are still donating. And this is just to get the movie made... the studio will still get to keep the profits from the movie.
    Joe, Lioness and pygmalion like this.
  20. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

Finally got the fridge ice dispenser fixed yesterday. The new motor came in last week. And I was happy that I figured out that I could replace it without disassembling the freezer door -- I wasn't sure that was going to work. It was a bit of a four-handed job, but I got it done. One thing to check off the list.