Happy and/or Random Thoughts #3

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by samina, Oct 12, 2007.

1. wonderwoman

wonderwoman Active Member

On a whim, I got a dermal piercing on my chest. Google search images of it, I'm not posting mine, hehe. I got a blue gem. I really like it.
    Lioness likes this.
  2. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

As long as you don't have electrical tape on your, erm...
  3. Aura

Aura Active Member

Getting some good "me time" always makes me feel good.
  4. nikkitta

nikkitta Well-Known Member

Oh, I wish I hadn't Google-image'd dermal piercing. Gahhhhh :jawdrop:
  5. bia

bia Well-Known Member

Really great for personal reading, but for classroom use, it matters that everyone has the same edition. Errors/variations that don't matter to the gist of the story do matter if you're doing close reading, and during discussions, everyone in the class needs to be able to find the same spots easily, over and over. I don't teach literature, but I have had the experience of allowing students to use old editions of textbooks for cost reasons, and it's quite irritating even in my limited use to waste time getting everyone literally on the same page. (I'll keep allowing multiple editions, though, because the new textbook prices are insane.)
  6. TinyDancer109

TinyDancer109 Well-Known Member

just got back from vacation and.... I'M ENGAGED!!!! :) <3
    cornutt, bia, nikkitta and 4 others like this.
  7. Lioness

Lioness Well-Known Member

Woohoo!

Booyeah got two distinctions already so far this semester! 82% and 75%. Hoping Japanese will be a pass to make up for that.

Also had two mind-blowing dance lessons from visiting coaches on the weekend. Standout point...FINALLY understood how to get my head in the right position for standard. Previously I'd been able to get it there, but not keep it there, and now I know how to do it. Happy happy happy.
  8. Lioness

I have a plan!

Between applying for internships and whatnot and getting discouraged by not having enough business background, I've been looking in to graduate degrees...I've found a graduate certificate that's 6 months long, and (only!) costs 11K...thankfully government loans exist.

SO

I'm applying for the JET programme at the end of this year, for a July departure. In the meantime, I'll try to get an internship over the summer, and then in February I'll apply for the postgrad qualification...a graduate certificate in Human Resources Management. In the course of that, I'll find out whether I get accepted in to JET, and if I do, I can apply for the July departure...at the end of July. By that time I will have finished the grad cert...I'll do one or two years in Japan, and hopefully come back and get a full-time job.

Feels good to have a plan.
  9. Lioness

Also I have a GPA of 5.7 now :D

Up from 4.9 before results came in...gonna aim to get it up to at least 6 before I finish Uni.
  10. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

11. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

something tells me that the J stands for Japanese
  12. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

LOL fasc no it doesnt
  13. bia

bia Well-Known Member

http://www.jetprogramme.org/
    "The Japan Exchange and Teaching Programme"
    Lioness likes this.
  14. Lioness

@Bia that's it!

@Joe...unfortunately not, lol.

It's a 1-5 year teaching programme...you act as a cultural ambassador for your country and teach english to elementary/high school students.
    I'm hoping if I get in to live in a pretty rural area with a small community.
  15. Lioness

Forcing myself to finish sewing my standard underskirts before I start on my latin dress.

Repeat after me: I must finish the thing I can wear right now instead of the thing I wish I had the body for.

TBH I'm just putting off the underskirts because I don't want to deal with sewing chiffon and organza.
  16. mindputtee

mindputtee Well-Known Member

Organza isn't so bad, chiffon can be a pain if you aren't using the right needle- you'll snag and pull the threads and curse a lot. Thinner is better and make sure it's a regular point, not ball point and it shouldn't be so bad! If you use a greater seam allowance the machine is less likely to eat it as well.

And I know the feeling, I've got a standard dress with 2/6 godets sewn in because they were being fussy.
  17. Lioness

I found chiffon lots easier, because it was less inclined to get sucked into the hole. Organza was a huge PITA because the thread kept puckering and breaking because I wasn't holding the fabric tight enough.

Chiffon sucks for pinning, though.

Both are done now! Just gotta attach them to the skirt.
  18. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

um yea, it sort of does :)
  19. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

i didnt read back:D i meant the J in jet magazine didnt mean japanese
  20. mindputtee

mindputtee Well-Known Member

I have a joooooob!
    Lioness, Joe, bia and 1 other person like this.