Happy and/or Random Thoughts #3

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by samina, Oct 12, 2007.

1. Hedwaite

Hedwaite Well-Known Member

Decent evening of dancing tonight. Decent afternoon of dancing tomorrow. When we first started, people would stand in the studio break room and laugh at us messing up, and take bets on when we'd quit. Now, we teach each of their new partners they drag through, and them between breakups.

2. Lioness

Lioness Well-Known Member

Really conflicted on whether I like Amanda Palmer...

3. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

Lots of coaching! Getting ramped up for Magnolia.

4. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

I have always wanted to do that comp...maybe someday

cornutt likes this.
  5. Cal

Cal Active Member

My back is still wonky so I'm still hobbling around with my trekking pole. But today I went to the birthday party of lady who is turning 99 years of age. It was nice not to be the only guest who was using a walking stick.

(And I do fully appreciate that my back will recover in a couple of days and the walking stick will go back in storage, whereas for other guests, their canes are a permanent accessory.)

chomsky likes this.
  6. Hedwaite

It's nice when people tell you they think you know what you're doing, even if you know that already.

stash likes this.
  7. stash

stash Well-Known Member

Had a good, quick text chat with coach. She's coming down for DCDI and was wondering about scheduling stuff. Also asked about our dancing and completely understands that we are out until DP's job calms down to the point where he can start pactracing with me again. Looking forward to seeing her.

8. Hedwaite

Students really DO need compliments. Not fake ones. Real "That looks a lot better than last time, just by doing such and such" or "I like how you do this or that, keep that up." I didn't realize how scared beginner dancers or new-to-you students can be of their teachers, but cracking a joke that gets them to laugh breaks the ice, and you can see them relax.

9. Cal

Cal Active Member

I just saw the University of Michigan 2013-2014 Wrestling Team photo poster. I'm thrilled to realize that I've known 3 of the freshman team members (one of them my nephew! YAY!) since they started wrestling when they were about 5-6 years old. And here they are in a Division 1 Big Ten Team Photo - wow, Wow, WOW! And they are great young men as well. I can't wait to see how their university careers unfold.
    (I did inform my nephew that the University of Michigan has a great ballroom team, too, and that he might want to look into it. I certianly won't hold my breath ... but he did at least wonder where they practice.)

10. Hedwaite

1- Just got Coaches Eye- so far, I really like it.

2- FINALLY made some choreo headway on Monster Routine of Epic Ulceration and Potential Fail. Broke through a wall, watching some really BAD showcase routines uploaded to Youtube (seriously, if you're THAT drunk, you should A- not be dancing in platforms, and B- not be doing choreography for lucid people, or you'll just look like your pro is slinging you all over the floor like a dead hooker on a ship in a hurricane.)

3- Mini Kit-Kats.

11. JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan Well-Known Member

The internet is a wonderful yet vaguely terrifying thing. While wasting time performing research on youtube the other day, I happened upon video from 2007 that had my am instructor competing in bronze. That was worth a "omg, this is amazing!" from his fellow students and a "how on earth did you find this?!" from him. :D

Last edited: Oct 31, 2013
    Sania and cornutt like this.
  12. Lioness

Lioness Well-Known Member

About to apply for my first ever office job.

Full-time work, here I come.

samina, Joe, cornutt and 1 other person like this.
  13. stash

stash Well-Known Member

Good Luck :D

Lioness likes this.
  14. Hedwaite

ROFLOL
    Unceremoniously woken yesterday morning by some jerk.
    Was puttering around earlier today checking for some storm damage (none found, yay), and I find a cigarette butt. One of my peeves, sure... but lying crumpled up next to it is this impossibly soggy twenty-dollar-bill.
    Hooray for unexpected day-after-Halloween-candy-sale moneh!

15. stash

stash Well-Known Member

Had a great lunch with the coach today. Treated her to it as well. Good conversation, good friendship, good food. I don't know if I could have asked anymore from today. :)

Sania and cornutt like this.
  16. Hedwaite

Ace Ventura 1 and 2. I feel better now.

dancelvr likes this.
  17. JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan Well-Known Member

I was talking to my sister last night, and she was telling me about this time her 14-year old son was talking about Dr. Who with a friend. At one point, the Fifth Doctor apparently came up in their conversation, and she chimed in that she'd had a huge crush on him growing up. Apparently, she broke the poor boy's brain. :D

cornutt and stash like this.
  18. tanya_the_dancer

tanya_the_dancer Well-Known Member

I read a news story today about a runner withdrawing from the race because her number was 666 and it contradicted her faith to wear that number. I wondered if that would ever happen in a dance competition.

19. raindance

raindance Active Member

I have heard MCs make jokes about heats with the number 666. Usually waiting until all the dancers are on the floor for full effect, and usually something light (like this jive or VW will be way longer than normal because of the heat number, or something else silly).

I think it is crazy that they couldn't just give the runner a different number for her races.

20. tanya_the_dancer

tanya_the_dancer Well-Known Member

I was once at a comp which was running ahead, and the MC said before a quickstep "since we're running ahead of schedule, we will run this quickstep for 15 minutes, since we know it's your favorite dance".

Sania likes this.