Happy and or Random Thoughts

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by Swing Kitten, Sep 28, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. will35

will35 New Member

Have you ever heard of Benford's law? It states that random numbers are not as random as they seem. There are certain numbers in certain decimal places that come up more than others. If you jump into the middle of a set of random numbers in a very, very large database, and you exchange some numbers with some that you made up, a person can use Benford's law to find approximately what you changed.
  2. Swing Kitten

Swing Kitten New Member

There's a children's book about that! I heard it was wonderful!
  3. Swing Kitten

Swing Kitten New Member

I have the sneaking suspicion that nail polish came around to conceal figer nail nastiness (middle ages??) purfume started that way.
  4. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Check out what I found you-know-where. (google, of course! 8) )

Believe it or not, people have been manicuring their nails for more than 4,000 years. In southern Babylonia, noblemen used solid gold tools to give themselves manicures and pedicures. The use of fingernail polish can be traced back even further. Originating in China in 3,000 B.C., nail color indicated social status. According to a Ming Dynasty manuscript, royal fingernails were painted black and red. The Egyptians also colored their nails using red to designate the highest social class. It is said that Cleopatra's nails were painted a deep red, whereas Queen Nefertiti went with a brighter ruby shade. In ancient Egypt and Rome, military commanders also painted their nails to match their lips before they went off to battle.
  5. Swing Kitten

Swing Kitten New Member

fasinating!

I need to think of a happy thought! happy thought... those have been more scarce than usual this week-- not that this week is horrible just tough and I'm having a difficult time putting a possitive spin on it.

Ah Ha!! I got to talk with my sisters this week!! JOY!!

ok. now back to work!
  6. will35

will35 New Member

Before I married my present and only wife, we dated for two years or so. I think one of the things she liked most about me was that I had pink skin under my fingernails. The first time she noticed them, she said, "Wow!" She said pink is a very healthy color for the skin under the nails. Could it be that the practice of painting the nails is linked to the healthy appearance that people need to attract a mate? Red lips, red nails, dark skin to survive in the sun. Good breeding characteristics? Maybe that is why people without tans don't win the competitions, too. Come on, who would believe a ghost white salsero? But what about the Viennese waltz?
  7. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

Do you mean Hope for the Flowers? If so, then yes, that is a fantastic book...and an important lesson for all ages!
  8. dancer_of_god

dancer_of_god New Member

anything including cheesy fish

good point.
    why are men such egoistic maniacs? i mean, seriously. they all insist on making the first move, and then they never do! :?
  9. Swing Kitten

Swing Kitten New Member

Hello dancer_of_god,

Welcome to the forums! It is nice to have you with us. Wow, what a great random thought! I wouldn't say that all men are egotistic maniacs in the least! I know several who are quite balanced and even some who greatly perfer to not make the first move (are we talking relationship type-wise?).
    I'm sure we've all had our frustrations in this department (if I'm understanding you correctly)... I know I certainly have been burned! I have found that dancing helps a great deal! What type of dance is your favorite and what got you started?

I look forward very much to hearing your 'story' from where I sit it seems that you have a lot to say! :wink:

--Kristen
  10. Swing Kitten

Swing Kitten New Member

My happy/random thought: I get a thrill from being surrounded by old books! It is just an amazing feeling looking at the spine of bound periodicals that are dated 1909... it's a magical thing when you run onto objects that are alive with a sense of history... a past life. I have found this feeling more since living in Connecticut... everything is older out here. It's nice to submerge myself for a few hours.
  11. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Have you ever been to Europe, SwingKitten? It's like that too. An amazing sense of history everywhere. Sightseeing in churches that were built in the fifteenth or sixteenth century can be a very humbling experience. For me, though, it got old (okay, pun intended :lol: ) after a while. I made the mistake of doing too much touristy-type itinerary planning, at least the first time I was there. After five or six days of traipsing all over the place, I lost my sense of wonder. One fifteenth century cathedral starts looking a lot like all the others. Fortunately, I took photos, which now, I find pretty amazing. :D The wonder is back! :D
  12. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

Yup, Europe is pretty cool in that way...but I've also visited both Israel and Egypt...now that's having some history around you!
  13. will35

will35 New Member

I am a man. I like to take the first move but allow the woman to think she took it. It's more fun for both that way.
  14. will35

will35 New Member

why are men such egoistic maniacs? i mean, seriously. they all insist on making the first move, and then they never do!
    -dancer_of_god

Maybe the particular egoistic maniac in question just wants to dance.
  15. Swing Kitten

Swing Kitten New Member

I took a period styles of architecture course last semster which has helped me gain an appreciation for old buildings. In history it seems that only churches and palaces survive (but mostly the churches) so while I haven't been to europe but I've seen a lot of slides so that's basically the same right?? :wink:[/b]
  16. Swing Kitten

Swing Kitten New Member

The power went out in my neighbor hood... I wonder when they plan on fixing that.

hmmmm :?
  17. Swing Kitten

Swing Kitten New Member

LOL .... Ask and ye shall recieve!!
  18. DanceMentor

DanceMentor Administrator

To teach is to learn twice!
  19. Swing Kitten

Swing Kitten New Member

20. dancersdreamland

dancersdreamland New Member

Perhaps someone dislexic (definately not spelled correctly) name them! :wink:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.