Has anyone lost weight dancing?

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by MissyK, Aug 9, 2005.

1. MissyK

MissyK New Member

In May to June, I lost 7 lbs just dancing 4 days a week. Then I had some emotional issues and started to binge and gained it all back. I'd only recently started to lose it again.

Has anyone lost a few pounds? I need to lose about 8 lbs before competition in Seattle...which I think is in October, but I'm not sure.

The latin skirts are so short and I don't want my huge thighs jiggling for everyone to see.
  2. Twilight_Elena

Twilight_Elena Well-Known Member

I haven't lost a lot of weight from dancing (a kilo or 2 maybe) but I have lost lots of inches. My waist is now fat-free and even my thighs have shown some improvement. All in all, dancing is an amazing fat burner.
    Remember, however, that the thighs are a pretty difficult part of our anatomy as far as inch loss is concerned. Hard dance practice will certainly not do wonders, but it will make your body firmer and fitter, so maybe parts won't be jiggling after all. :wink:
    Also, think about pantyhose. It sort of reduces the jiggling. We have a thread on pantyhose somewhere around here, do a Search on it. :D

Twilight Elena
  3. deewoman

deewoman New Member

Missy K--I have a friend who lost 50 lbs. when she started dancing! She has gained part (all?) of that back now, though. She's certified in bronze. Dance can be a great workout as well as artistic! She doesn't cook, though. It's harder to eat well in restaurants, I think. Good luck!
  4. ThreeStep

ThreeStep New Member

I've lost....wait - dancing?

ThreeStep
    (it's late. silliness sets in)
  5. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

Yes. I lost about 10 to 15 pounds because of dancing. But now, I have to do other activities besides dancing to maintain the weight loss.
  6. Ithink

Ithink Active Member

Likewise, I lost about 10-15 lbs when I just started dancing because my body wasn't used to the activity and let go of some weight pretty easily. Now that it's used to it, there is absolutely no weight loss that I can attribute to dancing. Now it's all about eating right and gym-type cardio :)

As for jiggling thighs, I'd recommend getting dance tights - even the slimmest of champ latin competitors benefit from dance tights, not to mention all of us mere mortals. I would not however wear them for standard...
  7. ChaChaMama

ChaChaMama Well-Known Member

MissyK, if you are 20, and dropped 7 lbs in 2 months just by dancing 4 days a week, chances are you don't have huge, jiggly thighs! I'm sure you are fine! Go out there and enjoy that competition!!!

I have to ask about these dance tights the PP mentioned. Are we talking fishnets? I'm asking because I have always been told tights/pantyhose are a disadvantage in latin because your foot slides around in the shoe. Am I misinformed here?

ChaChaMama
  8. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

It's hard finding the time, and the energy, to work in other activities, when I'm at the studio 4 evenings at week. But, there's always walking at lunchtime (even if it's down to the local mall), and working out at home. Currently I'm taking a bellydancing class on Saturday morning, which is quite the workout. :wink: I still haven't made it to the pool to swim yet this summer, though. :(

I agree about the dance tights for latin/rhythm. But, what type of hose do you wear for standard/smooth?
  9. cocodrilo

cocodrilo New Member

Not intentionally, but if I find myself dancing or attending several dance parties per week, I start to get kinda skinny. I just eat more(Urp!) and am able to maintain my stamina and muscle tone. I know this is the ballroom site, but if you wanna drop several kilos in a week, just go out salsa dancing a few nights! 8)
  10. luh

luh Active Member

yeah, though, it was not intentionally. I lost during my time in the usa (with dancing only once or twice a week) 15 pounds. And gained already 2 kilos since i'm back. The fun thing is, that i grew in that time, so it looks more than 15 pounds :)
    luh
  11. Shooshoo

Shooshoo New Member

I lost 10-15 pounds since I started dancing (8 months), even though I used to work out regularly. I think it was the change in type of exercise. I think I also look quite slimmer since the shape of my body has changed, but I've added pilates and decreased weight-lifting and kick-boxing exercises. I do other cardio workouts.
    I believe that pilates does wonders to the body. I've always been muscular, and bulky for some tastes, but now I my muscles have become very long. And my thighs have become much more slimmer. But this doesn't happen overnight. It took many months.

Don't think about looks too much. As long as you're fit and healthy and your doing something you enjoy..That's what counts.. :)
  12. setsuna713

setsuna713 New Member

I only lost a little bit of weight when I started dancing, but I definately did trade some fat for muscle and lost inches in most places.
  13. redhead

redhead New Member

I haven't lost any weight dancing 6 days a week - but again, that all depends on how much one has to lose. i have may be 5 pounds to lose, and my body holds on to that weigth for dear life (though I do cardio, lift weights...)
  14. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

everything shoo-shoo said is exactly the same in my case over the past 8 months...@ 10 pounds even though I exercised intensely daily beforehand....
  15. luh

luh Active Member

that might be true. I was quite heavy.
    luh
    p.s. another factor i forgot to mention. i ate less in the usa. just didn't like the food. probably spoiled ;)
  16. cocodrilo

cocodrilo New Member

Good thing you didn't or you might end up looking like those slobs that eat McDonald's for breakfast, lunch & dinner. :?
  17. Shooshoo

Shooshoo New Member

Yeah, it took me by surprise, cause I wasn't overweight, just fit and healthy. Now I'm more slim (not skinny cause I'm muscular), but I waiting to see if that'll change again. I'm also 35.
  18. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

I am 39 (and staying there thank you) and I have being working out intensely for years and have been lucky to lose a pound or two prior to dancing...usually each year brought on more muscle mass and no weight loss....dancing has really changed that and of course I lift less weight and stretch more...and now that I am doing standard...I can feel the weight in my upper hips and torso melting off and the flexibility there increasing...it is wonderful...I have not been able to successfully target that area previously...but all of this cbm and cbmp is making a BIG bifference, plus I have to admit that I am now much more motivated to watch what and how much I eat and yesterday without even thinking about it I probably practiced my steps for three hours in addition to my workout..... :lol:
  19. Medira

Medira New Member

I've lost 50 lbs. since I took up ballroom 6 months ago and I'm feeling great about it! I'm about to start a new job, so my schedule is going to change, but once I get that sorted out and settled, I'm going to be planning on yoga/pilates classes at the gym during my lunch and dance in the evenings, with weights thrown in there every once in a while too.

Now that the bulk of my extra weight is gone (I still have about 20-25lbs. to go to get back to where I was before I broke myself) I'm changing my focus to tone and stretching.
  20. wyllo

wyllo New Member

Dancing has definately been a motivating factor for me to get and stay in shape. I hate lifting weights, but I'm doing it now so I'll be stronger and can perform like I want to in dance. Can't say I've lost any weight, though. Actually I think I may have gained a pound or two, but my clothes still fit the same so I'm thinking that is just some new muscle. Same for my partner -- I couldn't get him to work out at all but now that he sees there is a reason for it he is lifting weights and doing pilates with me.