Has anyone lost weight dancing?

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by MissyK, Aug 9, 2005.

1. Gold_Star

Gold_Star New Member

I'm dancing for 8 monthes and I gained 2 or 3 kilos. :( But when I meet my friends they say: Wow! How did you manage to grow so slim! :wink:
  2. bjp22tango

bjp22tango Active Member

So you lost fat and gained muscle which takes up less space (but weighs more) and holds you together in a more appealing fashion :wink:
  3. luh

luh Active Member

welcome to df Gold_Star.
    luh
  4. standardgirl

standardgirl New Member

Re: yup

congrats! :D

I have a 29 waist, but I weight more than you......
    However, no one has ever been able to correctly guess how much I weight, and they don't even come close. :D
    Dancing really makes you slim down and toned.
    It's not about how much you weight, it's abuot how much you look like you weight. :D
  5. MissyK

MissyK New Member

Going to start losing weight for my next competition.

As I was watching a VERY good couple perform, I heard some rude remarks from audience members behind me about the dancers being plump. And I thought, "who the heck cares as long as you can dance well?"

I wish I had said it outloud, because they went on and on about their weight throughout the performance. Then it made me insecure. I should start losing weight before my competition next month.

For those who try to shed a few pounds before competitions/performances, how do you do it?
  6. swan

swan Member

Re: Going to start losing weight for my next competition.

If just 2-4lbs, just avoid eating starch (mostly bread, rice, potatoes, pasta) as much as possible. You can have a little of course, otherwise you will feel hungry & may crave for other things that's not good.

Add 45 min. brisk walk each day - this would give you cardio training as well as help you shed a pound or 2...
  7. luh

luh Active Member

i don't know how you much you weigh atm, but normally i wouldn't consider loosing weight for a comp. I agree totally on your first thought!
    luh
  8. ChaChaMama

ChaChaMama Well-Known Member

I would like to start by saying that at Capital Dancesport, my partner and I were beaten in our syllabus event by a couple in which the woman is plump. In a very heavily contested pro-am latin scholarship event that happened a few heats before our event, the winner was decidedly heavy (I would guess 200+ lbs.) Things may be different for the top amateur divisions and for the professionals, but I think that at the lower levels, the dancing matters more than your body shape.

That being said, I had a baby in 2002 and did feel a need to take off some weight. I have had a lot of luck with Weight Watchers. What I like about it is that you don't have to give up any foods. It's just a sensible program of portion control and exercise. (E.g., you eat one cup of cereal at breakfast, not as much as you can pour in the bowl, or one cup of whole wheat pasta with 1/2 cup sauce, not a restaurant-style portion which can be FOUR times that!) I'm now 5'6" and around 128, which is less than I weighed pre-baby! Best of all, I've been able to maintain this weight for almost a year now.

:) ChaChaMama
  9. luh

luh Active Member

you started weight watching while you were pregnant? :shock:
    luh
  10. Stiletto One

Stiletto One New Member

Were the critics good dancers themselves? I'd bet that they were either inexperienced (I guess it takes a while to figure out that women can have flesh in dance and still be good) or just asshats.

Whatever. Are you and your partner comfortable with your build? If so, don't bother worrying about it.

Obligatory anecdote: I've taken classes with one Anik LaForest. You know, the French Canadian. She's a bit "soft", but she's an incredible dancer. (LOL, I'd always wave Oreos at her at socials...I usually got her to eat one or two in a night, I'm a bad person. She likes sweets but tries not to eat much—she's trying to firm up a bit, I guess.)
  11. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

i agree that at lower levels the weight isn't as big an issue...I am not a small girl and took third in the last scholarship I danced and was beaten by a larger older woman we both beat a number of slender women by dancing well...and I have lost 15 pounds since then so "watchout" 8)

i think the degree of fitness is the bigger issue...my partner and I were able to leave most folks in the dust by moving large etc....

if you get too heavy you end up with some limitations...there is a couple who I have seen dancing at highest levels where the woman is quite large and they never place above 4th b/c she just cant do the things that the other ladies can do and her weight is not just a few pounds...she is quite large...but hey, if they are having fun and she is comfortable and understands that it is a hinderance to marking better not just due to aesthetics but because it hinders their dancing, who else should care?

I personally want to lose a bit more b/c my partner is small and trim and any extras on me look even larger when I am with him...and unfortunately eyes go to pleasant sights and judges are no different than anyone else that way....I know a wonderful lady who is an excellent dancer and I am convinced that she is under-rated b/c she doesn't dye her hair....I wish it wasn't true, but we want to look at young and slender and beautiful.... and if people have to pick who to focus on it isn't going to be someone with gray hair at least not for very long....it stinks but it is true.....I work with the elderly and I see how they are treated daily...yes, most judges try to be fair and give everyone a look...they have to , but the other stuff, as has been said on numerous threads, does come into play
  12. HF

HF New Member

There have been some threads about dieting and losing weight. I am not an expert but from my personal experience I think the most reasonable and sustainable way for dieting is to avoid any hunger and always eat enough ... of the right things. Vegetables and fruits, large amounts of them raw, potatoes, etc. Everything else is allowed but not for saturation. It is worth to study the principles of whole foods which is not just muesli and whole meal bread.

The second thing is: If it is not a permanent change of the habits the effect will be contradicted soon.
  13. ChaChaMama

ChaChaMama Well-Known Member

No, no, I gained 50 lbs while pregnant, lol!!! Believe me, no weight watching while pregnant. I enjoyed every minute of the pregnancy experience (well, except for the pushing) and didn't worry about weight gain.

Afterwards, the weight came off pretty easily...but then my eating and exercise habits fell apart (as will happen when you are constantly sleep-deprived), and I gained about 10 lbs back. So that's when I did WW.

:) ChaChaMama
  14. cl5814

cl5814 New Member

ok, it has been a while since i have been to comp, does your hair need to be purple or pink now to compete ? :shock: :D :D :D

just joking...
  15. luh

luh Active Member

ic, well than. - thought already- would be a little weird if you would try to loose weight while being pregnant..
    luh
  16. cl5814

cl5814 New Member

Concentrate on your dancing and leave your weight alone...... sorry to be so blunt. I mean that as a positive thought..... :D :D
  17. fascination

ya know I wish it wasn't so but I think purple or pink would be better than grey..it is sad but I just think people automatically assume she isn't a contender...i would love to be wrong...but I have seen her be by passed inexplicably soooooooooooo many times...I know there are other possible reasons but I tend to think it is her look
  18. yola

yola New Member

hm. on a somewhat different level, but related: i have a relatively large 'port wine stain' on the left side of my face. Normally it's just sitting there, it doesn't bother me, i don't bother it, and if others are bothered by it, well *shrug*, that's their problem.
    For comps, shows and workshops on occasions outside of our own dancingschool, i camouflage it. Sometimes people ask me why. It's simple, maybe the same reason why people want to lose weight, dye their hair or tan their body: i don't want to stand out for the wrong reasons! I want to be judged by my dancing or teaching, not by my face.

People tend to get side-tracked by things out of the ordinary. they don't look at my dancing anymore, just at the colour of the skin on my face.
    in stead of saying: wow she is an amazing performer! i've overheard people saying: 'what a pity about the stain...'

the same goes for weight and age... they're just not so easy to camouflage.. (although you can get rid of the extra kilo's, and i can't get rid of the stain..)

I'm no different than the rest, mind you :oops:! when Surya Bonaly was competing, at first i couldn't see her performance.. i just saw a black girl ice-skating, which was a very novel thing to see... luckily when i got used to her, i was able to look through her blackness, and at her skating.
  19. DancingMommy

DancingMommy Active Member

Silly, that's what the epidural is for, lol! Then pushing is easy(er).....
  20. fascination

i have friends with similar skin problems and they always do their best to camolflage as well...I think the issue is degree...we can all do what we can to to minimize the ways each of us might stand out in a bad way if we wish...but we shouldn't so lose perspective that we think all is lost if we don't completely succeed in that area...b/c that is secondary to our dance goals and our self image in general....my friend has seen people come COMPLETELY unhinged over a broken nail just prior to going out onto the floor ...like she had just autmatically lost the heat :roll: