Has anyone lost weight dancing?

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by MissyK, Aug 9, 2005.

1. MissyK

MissyK New Member

Hmm...I suppose I'll try WW. Competition is in October, the 22nd. Losing 8 lbs or so would be great, but I don't have high expectations.

My partner is insecure about his body, but not half as insecure as me.

I'll try the no starch thing as well. THanks!!!
  2. Josh

Josh Active Member

I think it's great that you want to lose weight. If that's your decision and you will be healthy after doing so, stick to it. Some say "stay just like you are," "learn to accept yourself," etc. But few would apply the same reasoning to other avenues of life, like studying and learning new things, improving your dancing, or improving your personality. So stick with it if it is the healthy thing to do and it will make you happier with yourself! (just don't expect perfection and happiness *solely* from that!)

First, don't try to lose too much too fast! If your competition is in a month, don't plan on losing any more than 5 pounds. If you have the time, why not run or bike or lift weights? Walking is cool, but the old "fat-burning zone" at 65% of max heart rate way of thinking just doesn't make sense. You will burn MORE fat (and total) calories doing a high-intensity workout in the same amount of time than you will doing a low-intensity workout. Do high intensity exercise for 30 or 40 minutes a day, and even with no change in eating habits you'll lose 3 or 4 pounds in a month (~400 cals per day, 2800 cals per week, ~= 3.5 pounds in a month). This is a reasonable rate at which one can lose weight. As a bonus, if you make this activity moderate weight training, you will burn more calories even *after* you stop exercising (always a bit motivator for me--like getting paid without working!).

Of course, no (non-diet) sodas (empty cals), and coffee is also a big source of empty calories for many. Eat reasonable and slowly so you'll know when you're full. Examine eating habits and ensure you're not eating too much because you're in an anxious state rather than really hungry. These things all contribute to sensible eating.
  3. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

So how's the diet coming, MissyK? Any thoughts on which program, if any, you're going to follow? 8)
  4. rumbawalks

rumbawalks New Member

One way to lose weight, although I don't recommend it, is to find a difficult partner who makes you lose your appetite.
  5. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

That'll do it every time. :lol: :lol:

Welcome, rumbawalks. :D
  6. MissyK

MissyK New Member

Update:

So far...it hasn't been going well. I've always been an emotional eater...and lately I've been having emotional problems.

My goal for the remainder of September is 4 miles a day, 3-4 times a week. I find it almost impossible to stay away from carbs, because I've done the Atkins diet before...and after losing a huge amount of weight but gaining TWICE as much back, I'm deathly afraid of low-carb concept.

Nevertheless, I will NEVER give up!!!

Ok...I'll post more updates soon, heheheh.

oh...and my partner does actually annoy me...just not enough to make me lose my appetite.
  7. sandi22

sandi22 New Member

Good luck with it Missy! I have to say though, I lost about 20 pounds once I began competing and there are 2 things you might want to watch for that I experienced...1. I may have lost weight a bit too fast and it hurt my endurance for a little while. My muscles would get tired faster than before. (that fixed itself pretty quick though!) And 2. After losing the pounds, I sort of had to re-learn to balance myself when dancing because I'm a clutz by nature and the lost weight threw off my balance a bit.
    Anyways, keep us updated in how it's going!
  8. sophiekbarnett

sophiekbarnett New Member

Lost Weight Ballroom Dancing

Hello,

My name's Sophie and I work for Reveal magazine in London. I am currently researching for a piece on ballroom dancing. I'm hoping to speak to someone who has lost weight through ballroom dancing. If you can help me please email me: sophie.barnett@acp-natmag.co.uk or write back!

Many thanks
  9. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

40 pounds in one year....and I already was working out five days a weeks w/ no result...will email you
  10. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

btw...welcome to DF...love the name sophie
  11. samina

samina Well-Known Member

hey, congrats, fascination. fabulous!

have also had significant results, lost about 80 lbs -- wasn't all from ballroom, but the ballroom was a huge part of it for sure. the dancing didn't just help with the weight loss, it also radically changed the fitness level of my body.

already emailed
  12. Medira

Medira New Member

Lost 140 lbs. through dance as part of recovery from an accident...

I'll send you an e-mail.
  13. Me

Me New Member

WOW. So many success stories here!

And here I sit, whining about these extra ten pounds. I feel pretty silly now!
  14. Medira

Medira New Member

Hey, I whine about my last 10 lbs. too...they just. won't. go. away!
  15. samina

samina Well-Known Member

wow, that's amazing, medira! excellent!

yes, am working on my "last few" pounds as well. LOL whatever "working on" means...
  16. sophiekbarnett

sophiekbarnett New Member

Hello,

Thanks for your email....I've just sent you one back. Look forward to hearing from you!
  17. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

Lost 16 pounds this year...combination of improved diet and exercise...workouts at the gym 3 or 4 days a week in addition to dancing.
  18. Some Day

Some Day New Member

I've also lost some weight (not a lot) since I started dancing. For me, I hated to exercise before I started dancing and you couldn't pay me enough to stick to any type of exercise routine. After a couple of days I lost motivation and would stop. Now that I've started dancing, I've become motivated to exercise because I see the results and the difference in my dancing. Does that make sense? Now I make it a point to exercise every day even if its for 15-20 minutes. In the past 8 months I've only skipped 1 day. That is amazing for someone like me who could never stick to any type of exercise routine!
  19. tunape

tunape New Member

lost 10 lbs, but not in a good way.
  20. Shooshoo

Shooshoo New Member

I also lost some weight, but don't know how much (don't weight myself), but went down one size (from 12 to 10, UK size, think that's from 10 to 8, US). My shape also changed.