Has anyone lost weight dancing?

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by MissyK, Aug 9, 2005.

1. chandra

chandra New Member

Ive actually GAINED about 50 lbs since I started dancing, because I went from a much more physically and body image demanding sport (Circus Arts / H2H).
    *Shrug*
  2. dgcasey

dgcasey New Member

And I thought I was doing good to lose my 17 pounds. Sounds like small potatoes to me now. ;)
  3. LACHopeful

LACHopeful New Member

I was going to mention this after I had written about my weight loss, but honestly...how much you have lost has nothing to do with how great you are. We should ALL be proud of any type of weight loss, because let me tell you...it took me a LONG time to realize that I really needed to lose the weight.
    It's so hard to get started with it, so to find the motivation is phenomenal and I commend you all.
  4. RIdancer82

RIdancer82 New Member

That's great, it's not "small potatoes" at all! LACHopeful makes a good point. Also, different bodies handle weightloss differently. meaning that for some people, losing 5lbs. is alot harder than it is for others to lose 20lbs. It's all relative to the individual.
  5. samina

samina Well-Known Member

that's so true! everybody has their own situation & their own body type, as well as their own experience of ballroom dancing.

i'm not surprised at all that people generally lose weight when they dance, tho... anyway, one tends to get a bit too busy to focus so much on food-as-recreation, i think.
  6. Zhena

Zhena Well-Known Member

I lost about 20-25 poinds over two years (and have kept it off about 1 year). It was partly the exercise, but I think a lot because I'm not home so much in the evenings which is a dangerous time for me in terms of snacking.
  7. samina

samina Well-Known Member

yah, that really is a help, isn't it? one is just so busy dancing in the evenings... :)
  8. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

I've lost about 25 pounds since I started dancing almost 3 years ago.

Does it sound terrible to say that I'm actually proud that I've got the body I have always wanted? It looks good in clothes and *gasp* even pretty good in those skimpy latin costumes!

During the lead up to comps, when I'm working on the dances so much, I can eat just about anything I'd like (though I try to keep is pretty healthy and moderate).

I love the fact that my "exercise" is a passion, not a chore!