Have you fired a student?

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by twnkltoz, Dec 12, 2012.

1. twnkltoz

twnkltoz Well-Known Member

I fired a student last night, the first time I have done that, for refusing to pay for a lesson she cancelled at the last minute after a history of late cancellations. Have you ever done it? I feel great for standing up for myself for once!
    Bailamosdance likes this.
  2. Jananananana

Jananananana Active Member

Yes, I have! I've fired a harassing student. He would call over and over and over again to ask about our lesson at 5:30. After he called me 16 times DURING a meeting at my 9-5, I knew it was time to call it quits.
    That was not the first time he had acted obsessive, so I knew this behavior would continue unless I ended our relationship.

I felt pretty proud of myself as well afterwards, although I was shitting in my pants while firing him.
    twnkltoz likes this.
  3. jump'n'jive

jump'n'jive Active Member

i have fired a few students in my day LOL. the most memorable one had to be a lady who called all of her teachers her "boyfriends" and she had no loyality to any teacher. i was ok with this, i took her money and taught her lessons. even danced at usdc one year with her.

Well she got so upset at first because i didnt accept her friend request on facebook on my personal page, only my studio page. Then i finally did accept it and then she went off because i had a girlfriend and i was somehow lying to her(mind you i had zero contact with this lady accept to teach her!) and then that progressed into her spreading lies that i was "kissing" and "sleeping" with other students. She even went as far to say i was over charging her for everything and compeitions. i have very open pricing its take it or leave it.

Well i bit my tongue for awhile and finally i snapped in the middle of her lesson, yelled at her, told her she doesn't dictate me or my business. walked her to the front door and grabbed my check book in the process. wrote her out a refund and told her to never step foot in my studio again.
    ajiboyet and twnkltoz like this.
  4. twnkltoz

Sounds like all of these people are a bit unhinged. Mine was for sure. She's convinced all the men in the studio are after her, and she leads them on, but then gets mad if they want to date her (or she thinks they do, which isn't usually accurate), and she's convinced they're always trying to touch her boobs, etc. It was exhausting.
  5. AndaBien

AndaBien Well-Known Member

Several times. I'm not in teaching to make money, but to help students learn to dance. I charge minimally, but that's just to get some devotion from them.

When I think I'm working harder at teaching than they are at learning, I get real clear with them about what has to happen: they have to develop physical skills and mental skills (finding the beat, focusing, stop talking). I also tell them clearly how to do what is necessary.

If I find that they are not learning those things, I tell them that I can continue teaching them after they have learned those skills, and not until then. I have had students that took classes more as recreation then for the sake of learning. I'm not interested in giving any attention to those students.
    ajiboyet, Gorme and twnkltoz like this.
  6. twnkltoz

I hear you, AndaBien. I've had students leave my class, insulted, because I didn't treat them with kid gloves when they didn't take dance seriously enough to learn the basic steps before going to the intermediate class.
  7. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

I think you were well within your rights...I take lessons in 8 lesson blocks....the one time that I cancelled a lesson on late notice, even though I wasn't asked, I paid that block in full ....it is a matter or respect for my instructor's time
  8. Jananananana

I don't think I've ever fired anyone from a group class though. I wanted to on several occasions: habitual late-comers, people who make snide comments, the one who complains that it's too hard, and just the generally rude ones. I've called people out, just never needed to actually ask them not to come back.
  9. Jananananana

This made me think about my previous post: how about firings from group classes?
  10. twnkltoz

I
    I have told people they couldn't come to an advanced class because they needed more beginning classes. Another guy was terrible and frustrated his partners to no end. When he asked me a question one night and I used the opportunity to let him know (as professionally as possible) that he needed to work on the basics and a few other things. Others I just drive off.
  11. twnkltoz

I also recently fired a book client because he was just too hard to work with and thought he knew more than me and other people who have lived in the industry for years....yet he knows almost nothing.
  12. Mengu

Mengu Active Member

Can't... resist... Guns get fired. Pottery gets fired. Employees get fired. Students get expelled, unless you mean to shoot them, burn them, and store their remains in pottery labeled "Ashes of Problem Students." I suppose you could call that firing a student. And now I can sleep.
    ajiboyet, TinyDancer109, caw and 2 others like this.
  13. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

:)

Yes, I have "expelled" two students. And one of them twice.
    Jananananana likes this.
  14. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

That's intriguing. How, if you don't mind sharing?
  15. frotes

frotes Member

Twice? :eek:
  16. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

I was wondering about the original use of terminology. Since technically students are the paying clients, they can't be 'fired', they actually are the ones who do the firing. They can be expelled and I can imagine at times it may be a relief to be able to do that, though in today's economic times it must be a difficult decision to make.
  17. fascination

love...that having been said...I have been fired in the past...let us hope not in the future :)
  18. fascination

I think, like most people who essentially are private contractors, teachers can choose which projects they are willing to work on :)..and well...there are lots of analogies there to explore
  19. Miss Silly

Miss Silly Active Member

Hahahah love this.
  20. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

I think the use of the word in this instance is used in a slightly tongue in cheek way. We all say it as a way to try to take back our power when a client has totally run all over us. And also dress vendors... they fire customers too, lots of them.