Headphone suggestions for practice?

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by DanceGeek, Jun 13, 2012.

1. Smooth Dancer

Smooth Dancer Active Member

The BT transmitter MAY support two-way traffic, but the headphones I use have no microphone. But even with a mike I don't know how the software would connect the two. We have no trouble talking to each other with our setup and our phones are easily slipped off to around-the-neck for protracted conversation.
  2. snapdancer

snapdancer Active Member

Looks like the $70 device linked above will work with any device with a 3.5 mm audio out jack. But does not support two-way traffic, just allows two people with BT headsets to listen to the same audio source.
  3. Akita

Akita Active Member

Any lag (and I don't believe there is perceptible lag) is not a factor since both headsets are hearing the same music - lagged or not.
  4. Akita

Akita Active Member

Wrong. A dual-stream xmitter transmits both streams at the same time. Both headsets are hearing identical music. I know - we (and many others) used the Kokkia successfully.
  5. JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan Well-Known Member

Note the "who is wired" part of davedove's post. He and Joe are talking about the problems with a setup where one person is using bluetooth and the other isn't.
  6. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

You must have missed the part of the discussion where someone was talking about one partner being wired and the other being wireless...reading for comprehension. :rolleyes:
  7. Nazar

Nazar Member

we use Rapoo headphones for two years now and they work like a charm. get it on Amazon for 45-70 a piece and a splitter at radioshack for $10.
  8. Smooth Dancer

Smooth Dancer Active Member

Interesting solution that I've not seen before. Do you get any sort of interference? Can you drive both headphones from one transmitter? What is the max range between transmitter and headset?
  9. Nazar

Nazar Member

little interference, but better with airplane mode on. range is fine. at all competition ballrooms range is enough, if put the phone in the middle of the ballroom on the chair on the side. each headphone comes with the base the size of roughly 1x2. very light. put two bases in one splitter and then the splitter into the phone jack. hope it helps
  10. davedove

davedove Active Member

I wasn't speaking about a dual-stream transmitter. I was talking about one partner hearing through a wire connection and the other through bluetooth. With that setup there was a significant lag.
  11. offcourse

offcourse New Member

My solution is here. If you've already got an MP3 player and some little earbuds, you need about $25 worth of parts.

Attached Files:

12. snapdancer

snapdancer Active Member

Tell us about your $25 solution so we may evaluate how well it will work for this application.
  13. offcourse

offcourse New Member

It's in the attachment to my post. At least, I hope it got attached.
    The attachment seems to be there now...
  14. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

I think we've already established that this arrangement includes a small amount of lag for the person on the Bluetooth receiver.
  15. offcourse

offcourse New Member

I saw the discussion regarding lag; obviously there must be a greater than zero lag.
    But no one, of probably a dozen couples, has noticed a perceptible lag. My set is at home, but tomorrow I'll bring mine to work with me to make some quantification.
  16. snapdancer

snapdancer Active Member

Forum software must have a lag in its posting of attachments.

Your test subjects would not notice the lag between the direct headphone connection and the bluetooth-connected headphone unless they listened to them both at the same time. But if the setup had the follow wearing the bluetooth receiver, she may have felt that her leader was rushing the music and bit her tongue.

I'm skeptical that for $25 you can get a Y-cable, bluetooth transmitter, and bluetooth receiver with headphones. But if you have a source that's that cheap, spend the under $25 needed to get a second bluetooth transmitter/receiver pair.
  17. offcourse

offcourse New Member

I'll see what further testing reveals, both qualitatively and quantitatively, but in this instance my follower is my instructor and she's not yet bit her tongue - ever. :)

Your cost skepticism (and any other skepticism) is welcome, but costs are well documented in my earlier attachment. But for the extra $20 for a second tx/rx pair, that would be a doubleplus. I found the MP3 player/tx in my pocket rather annoying - a second tx/rx pair would leave both dancers less encumbered.

I'd suggest that even at $45 this is a practical solution.
  18. snapdancer

snapdancer Active Member

Perhaps, like me, you tend to dance a bit after the beat and the lag through the bluetooth to your instructor is about the same.

With my setup, I've experienced dropouts when leaving the player and transmitters on a table. YMMV.
  19. mindputtee

mindputtee Well-Known Member

My partner got a pair of bluetooth headsets and transmitters and we hook them up to an ipod using a splitter. It works great for smooth, the range on them spans a full size floor. I think the only trouble we had was the splitter was old and crappy and so it was crackling!

He ordered them online from China, I'll have to find out where from. I think he said the total cost was around $100 for all 4 pieces.