Heart of America 2013

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by Larinda McRaven, Jul 29, 2013.

1. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

2. kckc

kckc Active Member

I was just going to say that heat lists are up! I'll see you there, though I won't speak since you are judging :)

3. Larinda McRaven

You can always talk to me! Maybe we won't have lunch and go shopping, but I will always chat :)

4. JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan Well-Known Member

That's good to know as it really was the reason that I shrank into the background when you stopped to chat with my pro.

Larinda McRaven likes this.
  5. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

like you could shrink back and hide anywhere:D

6. tanya_the_dancer

tanya_the_dancer Well-Known Member

I'm trying to decide if I want to get a room in the hotel or not. In other words, how much is my convenience worth to me.

7. Larinda McRaven

For me, I couln't stand not have g a hotel room, on site. I would try to forgo it to save my students some money, or my own when I was competing pro. But I always ended up miserable, and napping on a chair in the public changing rooms between sessions. If I ever had it to do over I would never skimp on a room.

debmc, fascination and latingal like this.
  8. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

completely agree...every time I have tried to save by not spending the night in the comp hotel the entire time, it has bitten me in the butt ...badly

9. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

The only time I've not stayed in the actual hotel is if there was an adjacent connecting hotel...for eg Ohio..where the hotels all connect and it is hard to get a room at the main hotel. I even stay at the hotel in my own city when there is a comp!

10. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

I generally don't have a problem when it's a close hotel. (Extended Stay at Michigan Dance Challenge is a lot cheaper than either venue and a two-minute drive max.) Or Red Roof Inn at Ohio. Though too much farther away is an issue (Holiday Inn Express in Columbus, for example.) Generally the venue hotels are more expensive than they're worth and I won't do it unless I really like the hotel itself (Hotel Interncontinental for Harvest Moon, the Pfister for Wisconsin State).

11. tanya_the_dancer

tanya_the_dancer Well-Known Member

That's the case for me, and I'm really having a hard time justifying the expense when I live less than 30 minutes away from the venue. Especially since Westin is an expensive place to stay. Essentially I'll be paying for my own convenience, especially for Thursday night, since I finish probably some time around midnight.

12. Mr 4 styles

true dat!!

13. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

I typically only stay in the comp hotel if I'm running the comp. Otherwise, it's cheaper-but-nearby. I'm OK with walking a little bit.

danceronice likes this.
  14. Wannabee

Wannabee Well-Known Member

I'm getting excited!!! A bit nervous since Larinda will be one of the judges though. However, I'm pretty annonymous so I think I'll be ok :). I love this comp. I try to go every year. KCKC, will we be going head to head again in bronze smooth scholarship?

15. kckc

kckc Active Member

I believe we shall be. I think we tried to ballroom trash talk last year but somehow it just doesn't work...

16. Mr 4 styles

that is very funny I can only imagine

17. Miss Silly

Miss Silly Active Member

roflmfao!

18. Wannabee

Wannabee Well-Known Member

Lol. Yeah. I'm guessing it's because we don't actually have any ill will toward the other's performance. You just have to really mean it deep down when you start throwing around phrases like "your dress is so loud I can't hear you talk". Otherwise, it just falls to flat... Lol

19. kckc

kckc Active Member

20. Mr 4 styles

hahahaaa that's pretty good