Help! At a crossroad between latin and standard?

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by Savannah, Feb 11, 2013.

1. Bailamosdance

Bailamosdance Well-Known Member

Agreed that pricing is higher than many top coaches in the NYC area.
  2. twnkltoz

twnkltoz Well-Known Member

And following doesn't take a toll on the body?
    Bailamosdance likes this.
  3. Bailamosdance

Leading bronze in standard is not always... Easy...
  4. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

$130 per lesson is really high. I've paid $145 per coaching lesson from someone with a very recognizable name, and I figured the money was well spent on what I got out of it. But $130 for a regular lesson sounds really high, unless the teacher is nationally ranked. Or maybe that's the going rate in the market.
  5. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

Also, now that you have another latin option available, I would recommend that you really evaluate which style you want to pursue and if 10 dance is really what you want. It is very difficult to find the time (not to mention the money) to become proficient in all 10 dances, and I find even in most 10 dance couple, they usually specialize in one or the other style.

In my experience, most dancers have a definite preference or passion for one style or the other. Consider what yours is and factor that in to your decisions.
  6. ACtenDance

ACtenDance Active Member

Savannah, those new instructors at the studio may or may not be permanent... coming from someone who just figured out who you are, haha. Are you calves killing you today too? You can always come talk to me and and my partner (you can probably figure out who we are). We can give you advice for the area without the pressure of being the one who is making a livelihood off of your money. Honestly, I think that $130 is reasonable for this guy. Also, you don't have anyone in the area as qualified and without a lot of good coaches in the area, there isn't anything driving his price down to compete with others like he would if he lived in NYC.
  7. DerekWeb

DerekWeb Active Member

Look up the teacher on dancesportinfo and see his/her results vs others that charge such rates: "Search couples" and put in the name.

http://dancesportinfo.net/
    debmc likes this.
  8. smidra86

smidra86 Active Member

I'm sorry, he is a top ranked amateur? and he charges $130? something about the doesn't seem right.
  9. Bailamosdance

His being an amateur is not the issue, but the pricing. There are many awesome Am teachers in the NYC area, and many charge comparable to Pro competitors. And are chosen and preferred not for price but quality, of course. However, the rate being charged seems exorbitant..
  10. JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan Well-Known Member

Yeah, I recently took a coaching session with a world-ranked amateur couple and payed close to that much, but they were travelling coaches. (And was happy to do so - elite amateurs make their living through dance as much as the pros do.) In my experience, there's always a premium for travelling coaches and you have to pay more than you would at their home studio. If ACtenDance says it's a reasonable price for the guy, I see no reason to doubt them, but it's more than I'd be able to afford on a regular basis.
  11. ACtenDance

ACtenDance Active Member

Well there are certainly a lot of people willing to pay that rate including myself. I'm not saying isn't too high, but it is still cheaper and more convenient than flying to NYC for coaching all the time. It may also make a difference to your perception of the cost to know that this is the studio rate for him and though I'm sure he takes home a good portion, a lot of it still goes to the studio. The local dance culture doesn't really support independent teachers like in NYC. Though that may change in the future.
    Terpsichorean Clod likes this.
  12. smidra86

smidra86 Active Member

so if that is the studio rate, why do other teachers at the studio have different lower rates for even different styles (if one coach is the top Latin coach in that area and this guy is top standard then I would see their pricing to be the same, while 2 standard coaches one might be higher than the other due to quality)?
  13. twnkltoz

While I can't speak to this particular studio, being the top Latin coach in the area and the top Standard coach in the area doesn't make them equal. One may not be as accomplished on the grand scheme of things as the other.
  14. smidra86

smidra86 Active Member

that may be, but if its best Latin coach you can get in the area then the pricing should be equal especially if this is also a studio price. it doesnt make sense that if the studio is charging for their instructors, then why would the prices be different for different instructors on top of which an instructor who won't teach a style also doesn't make sense, if a student wants to come to you to learn a style you teach them that style because you are getting paid for it, refusing to teach a style to a student is a little nonsensical to me. but that is just my opinion, I don't know the area and I don't know how it works there but its just my opinion that it sounds more like they are very business focused, therefore good business is to teach whatever ypir student wants because it is about the student not your personal preferences.
  15. twnkltoz

So if you have a world champion standard teacher and a moderately successful, but not even nationally titled Latin coach at the same studio, and they're both the best in the area, you think they should charge the same? That makes no sense. I don't know what the discrepancy is in this situation so I'm being extreme, but pricing should be based on credentials, accomplishments, ability to teach, etc., not on whether you and some other guy are the best in your style in that particular area.

And if he's commanding that much per hour, he should be able to teach what he wants and to whom. He must have a very intense focus on Standard and probably does not have the same level of excellence at Latin, so he'd rather not teach it. Maybe his schedule is so full that he can pick and choose and fill his book with Standard students, since that's what he wants to teach.
    Savannah and Bailamosdance like this.
  16. Bailamosdance

Pricing your rate for a local market includes factors such as competition from others, such as having many teachers with the same CV; what the market or students will bear, and the desirability of your specialties and abilities. In some places, social dance teachers make more money than high level competitive coaches simply because the social teacher is more popular or better. Technique enters in a bit when you compare in an area that has, for instance, many Smooth students but few Standard ones. Etc etc
  17. smidra86

smidra86 Active Member

Fine that is fair. I'm not arguing that that is wrong. I just still think it is a little odd that a studio would charge different prices for different people. If it is a studio charge it would be the same and the standard champion will take home a larger portion of the charge than the not so successful latin coach. And fine, if this guy has the ability to fill up his schedule with all standard students then that is fair.
  18. twnkltoz

Look at the value you are getting from one teacher vs. the other. If one teacher provides more value, the student should pay more. That's how the free market works, in all industries. You don't pay the same for a top-end Toyota vs. a top-end Mercedes just because they're at the same dealership.
    Bailamosdance likes this.
  19. Bailamosdance

Agreed. it is maybe not a chain studio selling interchangeable teachers.
  20. Savannah

Savannah New Member

oh no.... im dying inside.... i know you?? i might just start crying