Help! At a crossroad between latin and standard?

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by Savannah, Feb 11, 2013.

1. smidra86

smidra86 Active Member

Ok, then the studios where I am work very differently around here. Any studio that you were to go to where there are no independent instructors, franchise or not, the studio charges the same price for the teacher, whether amateur, accomplished, or a nobody, a portion of that goes to the teacher, and the rest to the studio. At any studio where there are independent teachers, the teachers set their price and the studio charges a floor fee. So it seems odd to me that a studio would charge different prices for different teachers if they aren't independent.

Please notice I said that it is either a franchise studio or not a franchise (just a regular studio which hires teachers)
  2. Savannah

Savannah New Member

oh yes i do know you.... and yes my calves are killing me... i hope what is said on here doesnt leave here... I wanted some honest non-biased answers and i didn't mean to offend anybody because all the instructors at the studio are all great in their own way I'm just trying to figure out what works best for me
  3. ACtenDance

ACtenDance Active Member

No worries. There's already plenty of drama on the hardwood. I'm not going to add to it by mentioning your completely honest and innocent questions about your conundrum only to have someone else not reading through this thread completely misunderstand and take things out of context. I'm just here to help if you want it.
  4. twnkltoz

twnkltoz Well-Known Member

For the record, I don't think anyone should have a problem with anything you've said here. If they do, it's on them. You have to do what's best for you and your dance career. It's business.
    danceronice likes this.
  5. Savannah

Savannah New Member

Thank you so much. I was hoping nothing would be said to a few latin instructors that I love dearly as people and who are all talented dancers, but don't feel too comfortable dancing with. And trust me if I had the money I would take lessons from the standard instructor and I do think the money is worth it especially for serious couples like yourself, but there's no way I can afford that much :( Yes and thank you for helping explain some do take things out of context and I have no idea how to even reply
  6. smidra86

smidra86 Active Member

You are doing what's best for your dancing. There is nothing wrong with asking a question.

Back in context, you will be going to college in a few short years, and you want to join the team. My honest opinion is that unless you plan on staying at a studio and finding a partner there, it won't be likely, its possible but not likely, you will find a partner on the college team at your level, I spent 2 years looking for a decent partner, 3 technically if we go into having an actual partner who finally was at my level. You mentioned you are a sophomore, which means by the time you get to college, you will probably be a silver dancer, maybe even gold. Most people in college, in my experience, will either already have a partner, or will just be starting out, and I, personally, prefer to have a partner who challenges me to dance better, not someone who is at a lower level than me, just to have a partner and compete (been there, done that, not doing it again).