Help in finding a school in Shanghai

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by TravellingBob, Dec 30, 2011.

1. TravellingBob

TravellingBob New Member

Hello all!

I'm a 28yo dancer, (primarily Latin but started Standard not long ago. Quite enjoyed it) and I've recently moved to Shanghai for about at least 18 months. Probably 24months, possibly more.

I'd really like to continue with my training in the time I'm here so I'm looking for a dance studio or dance teacher in Shanghai (Christmas wasn't so long ago, so I'll add a female dance partner to the wish list). My Chinese is non-existant so English is pretty important.

Does anybody have any idea where I could go about finding one? I've checked on expat forums, Google, contacted competitors, people teaching in Hong Kong or Singapour, I tried to search the chinese federation's website (not easy when you don't speak chinese), e-mailed the chinese and asian federation (out of despair) and even tried to contact a school I thought I'd found on one website; I'm at a loss.

Thanks in advance.

2. DancingJools

DancingJools Member

Goggle gave me the following suggestions - I tried "dance studio shanghai":
    Ballroom Dance School
    Jingan Cultural Palace
    459 Urumqi Road (N)
    Tel: 6248-4420

Latin Dance
    Mobile: 135 6476 5332

Salsa/Latin/Ballroom
    3F 9 Zhenning Road
    Oriental Garden Dance Studio
    Tel: 13916601515 (May)

Shanghai Tango Club
    Kings College
    888 Changde Lu

Salsa Class
    555 Yan'an Zhong Lu
    near Shaanxi Nan Lu|Contact: Anita Gao
    Tel: 6287 8768

The above list came from this site:

http://www.entershanghai.info/expat-lifestyle/leisure.php

I also found this:

Tango Shanghai
    (Eva) 159-0163-0751, (Ponan) 137-0186-7685
    oficial_tangoshanghai@yahoo.com.cn
    groups.yahoo.com/group/tangoshanghai

And there seems to be a lot of outdoor ballroom dancing in Shanghai, which might lead you to some useful contacts. Check youtube for "shanghai ballroom dancing" or something similar, and you'll find quite a few.
    This all seemed social dancing, though. But if you mingle I'm sure someone will point you to the competitive scene. I think there must be one, because China is becoming a major player in dancesport. But I don't know how open that scene might be to expats.

3. TravellingBob

TravellingBob New Member

hi,

Thanks a lot for your reply.

I had seen the entershanghai page and tried to contact a few studios in this list but found some schools didn't existe anymore or did not teach both latin and standards.

I don't have access to youtube here in China but i've tried to go to some outdoor social dancings before it got too cold. I didn't find much there but you're right, maybe I should try to mingle there and maybe something will come out of it.

I've been to a salsa class, I could continue with that if I don't find anything else and I haven't tried the tango class you mentionned yet. I also found the name of some studio yesterday that could be pretty interesting if they're still open. There is still hope ! :)

Many thanks for your time

4. DerekWeb

DerekWeb Active Member

All the English links from Google are old and not useful. DW and I danced in Shanghai by "Goggling" on Baidu in China. You must speak Mandarin to get any useful information.

Suggestion:
    Go to the Paramount night club. On the fourth floor there is a ballroom with continuous dancing. Ask the taxi dancers, who are reasonable Standard dancers, for information about local teachers. You must bring a translator with you. This will get you started.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paramount_%28Shanghai%29

5. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

Welcome to DF TravellingBob!

6. cloey

cloey New Member

Hi,
    I live and dance in Hong Kong. I don't know any studios in Shanghai myself but maybe call our Hong Kong studio DansinnHeavenly , ask to speak to one of the principals Richard or Mark, and ask if they have any suggestions. Can't hurt, Good luck! :)

nb - there's a dance comp at the Venetian in Macau 10th March if you can travel at the week-ends and need a dance fix!

7. TravellingBob

TravellingBob New Member

Hi !

Thank you all for your wellcome message and tips.

I'll definately try the paramount, sounds a good place to continue my investigations. And I'll check if I can come and see this competition in Macau, I've never been there so that'd be a good thing to do;

thanks for your help !

8. eyfoi

eyfoi New Member

I post at one of dance Forums (in Chinese). So far got one reply.
    Try to call
    Alan Martinez

I will post another one before this weekend about their weekly dance activities., if you can go there you may meet some one who speaks English, and get some helpful information.

9. eyfoi

eyfoi New Member

There will be a Chinese New Year's Dance to be held Jan 14th 14:30-17:00. I don't know how to translate the address but just copy here: 华山路1626号 复旦中学舞蹈房(近淮海西路)
    Contact person's phone number is 13916980951, his name is 孤帆, close pronunciation "Koo Fang" . I don't know if he speaks English, but if you desired to go I can ask him to give you a contact person to call or you can give me a number let them call you. They have said you are welcome and there are few students and teachers speak fluent English, plus few western dance teachs in Shanghai too.

10. TravellingBob

TravellingBob New Member

Thank you very much for your help. I might try to go there. sounds great ! I've just found a chinese teacher speaking a very good english. I've had my first lesson this week and I realise just how much work I still have. Feels good to be back on the dancefloor though.

thank you all for your help !

11. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

best of luck to you TB!!!