Help, salseras - shoes, stockings, and other fun things.

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by mellody43, Apr 11, 2004.

1. mellody43

mellody43 New Member

Hey! =)

This is embarrassing.
    :oops:

I wear open toed dance shoes and stockings ... Any runs I get start there -- usually when I get stepped on! So two questions:

1) Did you go from open toed to closed toe shoes -- and do you love it? Should I make my next pair of shoes closed toe? I figure I can start the transition to stockingless here...

2) I have always worn stockings with skirts/dresses but find that I'm getting SO hot lately for some reason (not 'change of life yet', I'm only 32! :lol: ) -- I do not have nice legs though and sheer black stockings really look better than bare legs on me.... I also look much better in skirts/dresses than in pants (though I know there are tons of great dancing pants out there). What are your tips for staying cooler sans stockings when you wear skirts/dresses? Do you wear some sort of bike-type shorts underneath? As a curvy gal, going stockingless just seems uncomfortable :evil: And how do you make your legs look club-worthy (other than some self-tanner?!)

Thanks for any tips. I feel like an idiot. LOL!

Melissa

2. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Hi mellody43. Long time,no see. Glad you're back. I know what you meanabout that internal heat. Don't think it's that time of life for ne, either. (At least , I would hope not LOL).

I'll have to check the brand when I go to SteinMart Tuesday. There is a line of underwear out there that basically does everything stockings do, but no stockings. For example, they have a hip-slimmer that's like control top stockings, only no legs. They have an anti-cellulite firming foundation. And a couple more (a tummy trimmer, I think?) I'll check on this.

I have a ton of dance shoes, and most of them are closed-toed. You won't have that sexy, strappy salsa diva look, but, your toes will be better protected. And you can wear reinforced toe hose (I KNOW Hanes makes those) which prevent runs. The sheer toed hose still run, even in closed-toe shoes. I think it has to do with your toes sliding forward and banging into the front of the toe box.

3. mellody43

mellody43 New Member

Hey there! =)

LOL - anticellulite. Darn marketers. It's GENETIC, people! ;-}

Yeah I figured some undergarment thing like that would work - I used to have one and actually found it was still hot, but it's worth a shot ... I swear, I see people dancing who just DO NOT SWEAT. Are they human? Sheesh.

Usually I take breaks because I'm hot, not because I'm tired. It's frustrating.

Do you think just having the hip/butt/top thigh covered with something heavier than stockings is cooler than having a sheer stocking over the whole leg?

Thanks, as always ...
    Melissa

4. peachexploration

peachexploration New Member

Mellody43, most stores have toeless stockings that would probably work for you. :)

5. salsachinita

salsachinita New Member

After last night, I remember why I went open toes in the first place :x !

For years, I used to wear ballroom chorus shoes (not unlike flamenco dancer's) with pantyhose ('stocking' as Melissa mentioned I presume). Not only did I use to get hot, I also got really sore toes!

In recent years I've discovered danceable street shoes (open toes!) which I go bare legged in them. I've never looked back.

I wore my chorus shoes out for the first time in two years. Boy, did I regret it :roll: !

6. mellody43

mellody43 New Member

Salsachinita - sounds like your closed toe shoes didn't fit right! eek! sounds very uncomfortable.

7. borikensalsero

borikensalsero Moderator

Sorry to butt in the ladies conversation, but I wish I could wear skirts as a male. I would wear one every day out dancing. It just looks like you can keep so much more cooler in them than you can in a pair of slacks. Ahhhhhhhh.... I can't wait for halloween. :p

8. Genesius Redux

Genesius Redux New Member

Oh, Boriken, the joys of being an actor! I love performing in drag! And I can walk in 3 inch heels. The first time I ever performed in drag, though, I had to shave my legs--and it bloody well itches! Yuk!

The girls who worked at the spa where I had been going for massage all wanted to wax my legs--but no way. Beauty ain't worth it. So on the whole, I think I'd make a pretty lousy girl.

9. peachexploration

Ohh, I wanna see that!! Don't forget to shave your legs. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

10. peachexploration

I'm a girl still can't walk in 3 inch heels. I'm jealous. :lol: :lol: 8)

11. pygmalion

Um. It's not the shaving that itches. It's the NOT shaving. If you make a habit of shaving (i.e. shave daily) you never get enough stubble for a serious itch-fest. And you're right, sometimes it's a drag (no pun intended LOL) being a girl. There are compensations, though. I'm not telling what they are. All the girly-girls out there already know. :wink: :lol: LOL.

And as far as waxing? :shock: Just say no. :roll:

12. pygmalion

Oh yeah, and just to get myself back on-topic.

My idea for coolest salsa outfit. Something with a swirly skirt, no hose, strappy shoes, and dance trunks underneath the skirt. The swirly skirt makes cool breezes every time you spin. :wink:

13. peachexploration

Muhahahaha :twisted:

14. peachexploration

Mellody43, try w w w.danceshopper.com
    Some good ideas and very nice items (pants and skirts) you may like it if you do/don't want to go the stockings route.
    :D

15. pygmalion

The thing is, if you're self conscious about the appearance of your legs, hose (stockings, pantyhose, tights depending on where you live) do help give the old confidence a boost.

16. borikensalsero

borikensalsero Moderator

Actors get to have all the fun, that's not fair :cry: I can't even walk in dance shoes, I can't imagine what it will be like in 3'' heels.

I used to shave my legs as a young buck looking to show some muscles. :lol: God, the first time I did it, it was hell. It hurt, it itched, the hair grew back twice as thick. OMG, what in the world made me shave...

I didn't learn from the face, I had to go and do the legs too. MISTAKE! God, that I do not envy from you ladies. I actually feel bad for you.

17. danceguy

danceguy New Member

Hmm, guys shaving their legs and wearing skirts...maybe I don't want to go to NY to check out the dance scene! :shock:

About the only part of my body that is worth showing off is my legs...I get compliments on them all the time...now if I could just get my upper body to match...:oops:

I must admit, I have never worn high heels, and don't plan to anytime soon! I do recall having a pair of platform shoes in the late 70's...along with my bellbottoms of course. ;)

SG

18. Sarah

Sarah New Member

Why wait? Utilikilts! The new dance floor sensation?

Cheers
    Sarah

19. borikensalsero

borikensalsero Moderator

lolol.. being here in NY City, I'd be laughed at more wearing an utilkilt than a skirt....

20. MacMoto

MacMoto Active Member