Help, salseras - shoes, stockings, and other fun things.

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by mellody43, Apr 11, 2004.

1. redhead

redhead New Member

Mellody... it's a good idea to buy "snug" dance shoes, so next time... When I'm breaking in new dancing shoes, I always take the old pair with me - saved my feet yesterday 8) , I was only able to dance for 2.5 hours in my new shoes

2. mellody43

mellody43 New Member

I've had my shoes for well over a year now -- they're definitely broken in! Perhaps they are not snug enough and that's why my left pinky toe is raw on the bottom -- ow! Nothing more tender than that new skin...

I will look into the moleskin -- thanks for that recommendation!

I am already looking forward to dancing on Friday -- it gets me through the week, I swear ...

Melissa

3. cocodrilo

cocodrilo New Member

I'm an 8 1/2 and I buy size 8s. (Open-toe latin). They will stretch out at least a half size. They'll create blisters at first but will stretch out in no time! :D
    I haven't heard of the gel-bandages but would like to try those! I use waterproof band-aids when I dance stockingless to keep toes from rubbing together on long nights of dancing.
    The good thing about moleskin is that it STICKS! No matter how much you sweat, spin or kick, it's still there!

4. mellody43

mellody43 New Member

Cocodrilo -

How do you use the bandaids? Wrapped around each toe??
    Thanks!
    Melissa

5. MacMoto

MacMoto Active Member

Dr Scholl, Elastoplast and BandAid (and some others) all sell gel blister plasters now, so I'm sure you can get them in Japan or have them sent over. The gel is supposed to promote healing and also gives good cushioning effect. They are rather big though, so may not be suitable for small toes.

6. cocodrilo

cocodrilo New Member

Yes, Melissa, my sedond & third toe, when crammed into my dancing shoes, tend to get a lot of friction where the bone is & I just wrap a ban-aid(usually one will do) around one of the toes, giving it a little cushion. The waterproof band-aids stay on all night!

7. Cocodrilo,

That does not surprise me when you buy your dance shoes 1/2 size smaller than your actual size. I did that once and it was my first and last time. I never wear those shoes because they start "killing" me after 1 hour of dancing.

Melissa,
    Have you ever been to a dance club in a Latin country? Have you noticed how our (western) ideas of what is beautiful differ from what Latins find beautiful? In some clubs you see women who are definitely overweight for our standards pressed into those super short and very tight stretch dresses. And they think they look beautiful. Also, many Latin men like women better when they are not too skinny.
    My point here is: Don't be over-selfconscious with your legs. Nobody is perfect, we all have our flaws. Of course, we all want to look beautiful. And it is good to dress appropriately. But try to be a bit more daring and do not overconcentrate on your legs.

Find boutiques with dance dresses and try on different styles until you discover the style that suits you best. Then go for that. I always prefer dresses when I go out dancing salsa. I find it looks sexier and brings out the dance better. Yes, pants are the fashion now and I have some, too, but I still prefer dresses.

Panty hoses: Years ago thanks to an Italian girlfriend I discovered the Italian brand "OroblĂș". It is great, those panties look good, feel like your second skin and they last for quite a long time. Even when you sweat they do not really bother you. They are my favorite and the only brand I have been buying ever since. Unfortunately, I was not able to find them in the USA when living there, so I always bought a supply on my trips to Germany. Here in Germany they sell them everywhere. But just now I found them on the Internet.

Before I danced salsa + merengue, my figure was not great, either. I was not fat but had a little too much here and there and had always had a little tummy (so, no stretch dresses!). When I found Latin music, after dancing salsa and merengue for about 2 months 2 nights every weekend, I looked down on me and all extra pounds were gone, including my little tummy that I had had since I can remember. I danced a lot before (ballroom dances), did sit-ups and God knows what other exercises, but nothing helped to get rid of that tummy. I am pretty sure it was the merengue that changed my whole figure, including my legs. Those merengue movements really make you work out and especially go to your hips and legs. After a couple of months my body had a different, much more favorable shape. I could wear sexy dresses and dance outfits, which I had never dared before. By the way, now I hardly ever dance merengue anymore, but it definitely did the job.

So, the more you dance and the better you get, the better and more self-assured you will hopefully feel. And remember also: sex-appeal is not only connected to a perfect body, it has a lot to do with how good you feel on the dancefloor and how you come across to people.

8. mellody43

mellody43 New Member

Salsera_alemana:

You are sweet! I hope I haven't come across as someone with very poor body image, LOL! =) I am happy with my curves and know how to work with them clothes-wise --- stretchy dresses are my friends, for the most part, as long as they 'accentuate the positives'! -- but I can get very self conscious about my host hated body part (thighs!)

Your comment about Latino men -- I had to laugh a bit. Last weekend my DJ friend at the club said he had complaints about me. I could not figure out what he meant. He said that some other regulars, who he wouldn't name (hehe) had come up to him to say that I had lost too much weight and I should put a few pounds back on.

LOL!

Thanks for the words of support!
    Melissa

9. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

:kissme: to Latin men for that very reason. It's so funny you should mention it. I was at the doctor's office yesterday, and just happened to be the only non-Latin person in the room. Oh, the generous hips and thighs! And the obviously positive body images those women had. 8) :D Having a typical American-girl body image is not all it's cracked up to be. :?

10. mellody43

mellody43 New Member

Hey Pygmalion! =)

I wanted my friend to tell me which guys they were and go smooch them. He almost didn't want to tell me because it's sort of weird saying "hey you lost weight" -- never know whether people will take it as a compliment or get offended!

I wish you could come dancing with me! =)

Melissa

11. pygmalion

:bouncy: That would be a blast! :D

12. mellody43

mellody43 New Member

:cry: Could we BE farther away from each other? LOL! Diagonally across the whole US. hehe.

Melissa

13. pygmalion

Yeah. It does look unlikely we'll bump into each other anytime soon. :( Although you never know. Stranger things have happened. (Hopeful smiley here :) )

14. mellody43

mellody43 New Member

You're right Jenn ... odder things have definitely happened.

But you could recognize me from my avatar -- how would I know you? :wink:

15. cocodrilo

cocodrilo New Member

salsera_alemana-
    You're SUPPOSED TO buy shoes 1/2 size smaller than your street size! This is even recommended by the shoe manufacturers(Supadance, Elegance, Capezio, etc). All of my shoes have stretched out and fit perfectly! However, when I'm wearing them for a 7-hour stretch, hard dancing DOES cause my bony toes to rub! (Everyone has their sore spots!) :?

I know a dance instructor who just took orders for dance shoes for his students, not warning them about sizing and after 6 months of moderate dancing, most of the shoes became too big for the girls! (My friend has taken to wear SOCKS with her satin open-toe latin shoes!!!!UGH!!!) :roll:

16. pygmalion

:kissme:

17. Genesius Redux

Genesius Redux New Member

:lol: :lol: :lol:

That's gotta work wonders for the sexy salsera look!

For men's shoes, I've found that the size really varies on the manufacturer and sometimes the style. So I may wear a 7 1/2 in Latin, but an 8 1/2 in a ballroom shoe made by the same manufacturer. Also you have to look at the different widths.

Just a question for Coco--when you wrap your toes in bandaides do you ever wear those white ones with all the clowns and stuff that they make for children? There could be some new fashions in the salsa world--satin shoes and bobbie sox and toes wrapped in colorful bandages! :lol:

18. cocodrilo

cocodrilo New Member

You're right about different sizing for different makers. I ordered my jazz shoes "close to street shoe size"...I always order on the net, where the companies list their recommendations.

No, I don't like the colorful bandaids, ha ha :lol: but go for the waterproof ones that really stay on! My feet look flashy enough with silver/gold or leopardskin print so the clowns would be too much :lol:

19. Genesius Redux

Genesius Redux New Member

Blue spotlight please.

Pause. Looking up slowly.

"Isn't it...rich?
    Are we...a paiiiir?...
    You with your feet on the ground,
    Me iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiin mid aiiiiiiir."

Big pause. A breath, suspended. Then, softly:

"Send in the clowns."

Looking around, puzzled. Pause.

"Where are..."