Hey Everybody!!! Forum Software Upgrade in the Works

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by DanceMentor, Aug 22, 2012.

1. DanceMentor

DanceMentor Administrator

Hello everyone,

We probably won't be rushing this, but the forum software we are running from vBulletin is getting increasingly outdated, and we are going to be making some changes soon, likely switching from vBulletin to Xenforo.

Xenforo is very similar to vbulletin (but much better) and was created by many of the original developers of vbulletin. They "jumped ship" when the ownership of vbulletin changed. In my dealings with vbulletin in the last year, I have not been very pleased, but quite the opposite for xenforo. You can see it running now on Salsa Forums.

It will surely take a little getting used to for both the members and moderators (who will get an early preview), but it has been our experience that Salsa Forums is almost twice as busy as before the switch, and the moderators have much easier tools to use too that coordinate well with user reports, etc. We did a little spam on salsa forums initially, but we installed some anti-spam tools and it is much better now (using the same tools as here on DF, plus a couple of new ones too).

One nice thing I like is people can "like" one another's posts similar to facebook, and there is a Facebook like notification system for PMs, Likes, etc. You can also share pages on facebook and twitter easily.

Closer to the time, we may start to put up a little donation button hopefully asking people to donate a small amount (say the cost of a group class) to help us with the expenses which will be at least few hundred dollars, so hopefully we'll get a little support.

This is pretty much a necessary change, and we either needed to upgrade from vbulletin 3 to 4, or switch to xenforo. Both are similar in level of difficulty, and I just feel xenforo is the right choice. Have a look on Salsa Forums if you like and let me know what you think.
  2. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Thanks for the heads up. :)
  3. DanceMentor

We're still working on it. :) Get ready, as it will probably be next week if all goes well!
  4. DanceMentor

We were waiting until after USDSC. Likely we will be starting the switch as early as tomorrow and most certainly next week. We will try to warn people a few minutes ahead of time that might be in the middle of making a post.
  5. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

I am back and ready for it.
  6. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

good...because I won't be back til late tuesday and don't imagine I will have my personal affairs in order for a few days beyond that
  7. DanceMentor

Good, we "might" start tomorrow and we will put up a warning so people can finish up any posts first.
  8. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

I'm back too
  9. bia

bia Well-Known Member

The new platform looks really pretty, and familiar enough to still feel like home. I hope the backstage parts are good, too. Thanks to those who worked to make the transition so smooth!
  10. DanceMentor

11. GGinrhinestones

GGinrhinestones Well-Known Member

I'm loving it so far...a bit of a learning curve, but not as bad as I expected. There are so many more features and options here!
  12. Lioness

Lioness Well-Known Member

I mostly like it!

Not too much a fan of the posts' text being in a darker coloured box...makes it look like it's a quote.

But overall, very impressed.
  13. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

My old avatar trick doesn't work anymore... guess I need a real avatar!
  14. DanceMentor

I am expecting there will be some little tweaks we need to do. Give us a little time as we just got done working really hard on this. But we will be looking for things we need to fix. We already did pretty good on salsa forums and this is our second go around. and moderator settings a and moderator settings are set up pretty good
  15. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

Welcome to our New Home!
  16. mindputtee

mindputtee Well-Known Member

We can get... trophies now? :eek: (also I'm kind of loving the new smilies)
  17. SDsalsaguy

Agreed -- there are some cosmetic issues that need attending to (and this is one we're already aware of), but those are relatively minor tweaks that we'll be able to work through over the next couple of weeks. The most important thing is the security afforded by the update, and there's added functionality as a bonus. :D
    Larinda McRaven likes this.
  18. Warren J. Dew

Warren J. Dew Well-Known Member

I find this color scheme and font very hard on the eyes.
    chomsky likes this.
  19. SDsalsaguy

I agree 100% Warren - and have already noted this to our tech team. In short, the new software has different default templates and the cosmetic changes will be our next step. The DF database is large enough that just transferring the content was a significant undertaking on its own.
    chomsky likes this.
  20. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

As others have noted, the color scheme could probably use a little tweaking. It's pale enough to be a strain on my middle-aged eyes. BUT, overall, I find the new format to be much more aesthetically pleasing. As soon as I learn to log in, post, quote and send a PM, all will be well with my little DF world. :D
    chomsky likes this.