Hey Everybody!!! Forum Software Upgrade in the Works

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by DanceMentor, Aug 22, 2012.

1. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

What Larinda said!

...and please do let us know what browser you are using when you report glitches!
  2. samina

samina Well-Known Member

My guess is that account has not-quite-regular-user permissions...
    pygmalion likes this.
  3. samina

samina Well-Known Member

I've used IE7, IE8, Chrome and Safari...same view for all.
  4. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

Thanks for letting us know. Same problems in each?
  5. samina

samina Well-Known Member

The signature doesn't display for any view or from any device -- that appears to be a configuration issue, not a software glitch.

A quick test of IE8, Chrome and Safari reveals that Safari and IE8 are loading the upper-right set of menus quickly, while Chrome does not -- it hangs showing only "Search..." and not the upper-right menu items (username, inbox, alerts, Log Out).

I'll have to check my devices (iPhone and iPad) to verify again how they handle the upper-right features.
  6. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

That's weird... maybe it has to do with the non-mods accounts that were ported over from the old software?
  7. Lioness

Lioness Well-Known Member

I'm using Chrome on this computer...no option for a sig there

Agreed with cornutt that maybe it's to do with when the users were created.

Attached Files:

8. DL

DL Well-Known Member

Hmm. Maybe there's a difference between accounts that were migrated from the old DF and accounts that were newly created after the switch? (I'm grasping at straws here and too lazy to create my own new dummy account to investigate.) Perhaps there's an old inactive/banned user/spammer that got migrated that could be used for additional testing. Well, it's just an idea.
  9. DL

DL Well-Known Member

Sure, but just like in the original Netscape-vs-Mosaic days, there will be some non-standard things that Chrome supports and standard/common things it doesn't. This sort of thing is constantly in flux. Basically portable web programming is very hard and time-consuming and expensive because browser vendors all have economic incentives to keep it that way.

Software customers can and do expect all sorts of things, including that websites will play nicely with their browsers of choice. They have no idea how much money is spent/wasted on web portability efforts, and they don't care either. This goes in the bucket of "the customer is always right".

Believe me the folks who make Xenforo and run DF have my sympathy on the difficulty of this problem, but the problem is what it is. Developing portable web services is expensive in time and money for development, maintenance, and testing. It's not fair, but such is life.
  10. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

My dummy account was created in 2007... it has no special user permissions. I am sure Dance Mentor and the tech staff didn't even know I have it (although I guess now they do!). If they ever even noticed it they would just assume it is a lurker account, but there would be no reason to give it special permissions..

(I have only used it off and on over the years just to be able to remember what a non-mod account looks like. (we often don't even realize how different our screens and options are!))
  11. DL

DL Well-Known Member

Hmm. If browser and migration issues and account age issues are ruled out, I'm fresh out of ideas for low-hanging fruit. There could be weird issues related to other account-related state (number of posts? most recent login prior to migration?), but there's no apparent evidence implicating anything in particular. Umm, good luck. :)

FWIW, that sounds like a "best practice" to me, for exactly the reason you mention.
  12. cornutt

Quite true... I've got sysadmin/IT experience going back to the early '80s, and there has been a long-standing problem of the software developer or IT admin who tests something using their privileged admin account, pronounces it good, releases it, and then it doesn't work for ordinary users and someone has to figure out what privileges it needs in order to run. (For old-time operating system geeks: The worst about that, of all the systems I ever used, was VMS. It was always a challenge to find a combination of privilege flags that enabled the application to run, without letting the user do anything dangerous. There was a privilege called "system logical names" that a lot of useful applications had to have in order to run, but it also allowed the knowledgeable user to replace the entire system account file. DEC never really found a way to fix that; it was too deeply embedded in the OS kernel.)
  13. Larinda McRaven

14. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

I know I'm grabbing for straws, here, but I wouldn't necessarily rule out account types just yet. For example, user titles (In this software, new member, member, active member, well-known member) are defined differently than in the past. In the old software, it was strictly number of posts. More posts, higher level, period. In this new software, someone with relatively few posts who is currently posting a lot has a "higher" level than someone with a bunch of posts who hasn't posted in in a long time. Or so it seems.

Not assuming that this is related to screens and permissions. Just pointing out that the algorithm used to define user type in this software appears to be less straight-forward than in the previous software. There could be something subtle going on. *sigh*

Aside: @cornutt. VMS. Yeesh. Does that ever bring back memories. I'm not a systems geek, but I do remember VMS well. The first computer I ever had at work was on a VAX/VMS operating system. Ay yi yi. Was that ever a dinosaur! The system-admin geeks definitely had their hands full, keeping us system-user geeks from killing ourselves or, worse yet, our data. lol.
  15. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Newp. Just tried Firefox and Chrome. No .sig option in the drop down.
  16. raindance

raindance Active Member

Just for the record, in case my previous post was unclear... I don't have a signature option either (I use firefox). But I haven't had as much trouble with some of the other problems that people have been reporting, and I know the browser can make a difference, so that's why I mentioned the browser thing, just in case.
  17. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

I cannot figure out how to do screen shots, so this post may be of limited usefulness.

In comparing my display in IE8 and firefox, I've noticed that there is a frame near the top right side of the screen that contains the search box, my avatar, Messages, Likes and Points. In IE8, that box is relatively small and rectangular and it is below my rightmost four buttons (my username with dropdown, Inbox, Alerts and Log Out.)

I realized last night that, in firefox (at least for me) those four buttons are not gone. They are hidden under the frame I referenced above. That frame is much larger and more square than rectangular. I think that the buttons are there because I can see the p at the beginning of my username peeking out. If I click on that p, my user panel and the drop down show just like normal.

I hope this makes sense.
  18. cornutt

I'm not seeing that in Firefox. For me, it looks the way you describe as your IE8 view. The screenshots I posted were from Firefox. I'm running 13.0.1.
  19. Larinda McRaven

I do know that changing the zoom level of my screen ends up shifting things around, eventually hiding certain buttons.

Attached Files:

20. cornutt

Hmm. I just did some zooming in and out with Firefox, and everything worked perfectly.