Hey Everybody!!! Forum Software Upgrade in the Works

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by DanceMentor, Aug 22, 2012.

1. Lioness

Lioness Well-Known Member

P, you can take a screenshot by pressing a button on your keyboard that says "print screen", or an abbreviation of that. Then you can paste into an image editing program, MS Word, etc.

2. wooh

wooh Well-Known Member

No report button? For that spam that hits when few are online except me and...well...spammers? How am I supposed to do my civic duty without a report button?

Larinda McRaven likes this.
  3. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

I tried that and got an error that said ... hmm ... I can't remember exactly what it said, but it was something like file size too big or too much information of something. Haven't had a chance to go back and try again after closing extra tabs.

Eh. *shrug*

4. samina

samina Well-Known Member

Have any of the mods/admins looked into the configuration settings link I posted for turning the signatures on for regular users?

5. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

a few people have found that and used it, because I have gotten a few notices...but it was very early on...I will go back and see if I can see who it was

6. pygmalion

Not to beat a dead horse or anything, but Re: disappearing buttons: I've tried IE8, IE9 and firefox (gotta remember to check and see which version of firefox.) Only IE8 zooms in and out without the disappearing button issue. (Incidentally, when I first reported the issue, it was unrelated to zooming. My buttons were invisible for more than a week, regardless of zoom in both IE9 and firefox.)

I will try Chrome and maybe another couple browsers this weekend for completeness.

No urgency, IMV, anymore. I have myself convinced that it's something to do with that frame in the upper right. I have some work-arounds that work for me (e.g. try zooming or try a different browser.)

7. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

Mods cannot do anything but listen and try to help on this end, then remind the owner to remind the tech staff to look into it... the chain of command is long.

samina likes this.
  8. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

Just to reiterate Larinda's point, the mods are here to help moderate the forums and can only make sure tech issues get passed up the chain to the tech staff. Only the tech people know what else they have to deal with and how to best prioritize various "to do" items. So, yes, please do keep us abreast of any issues or concerns... but please be patient as we forward these along for further action. Thanks! :)

samina likes this.
  9. pygmalion

Disclaimer: My programming experience is old and limited, but ... Depending on how the software is structured, it may not make sense to go after the cosmetic stuff (like my beloved dead horse disappearing buttons lol) until after any possible, larger, underlying (and possibly invisible to user-types) issues are addressed.

Kinda like putting up drywall before you're done with wiring. ;)

10. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

Exactly. The point being that we are not ignoring any issues of which we are made aware, but that we are trusting our tech team to prioritize these as they deem best.

11. pygmalion

FWIW. I have experienced a lot fewer timeout errors when posting in long threads. Has anybody else noticed an improvement?

12. Lioness

Yep. I was just about to say something. I haven't been on a whole lot because of Uni and stuff, but it's a lot better.

13. pygmalion

I haven't had a timeout error in several days.

j_alexandra likes this.
  14. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Agreed; they are much less frequent than before. I'm still getting one occasionally, but it's pretty rare.

However, I am still being logged out. It's perfectly predictable (first time I log in, if I click on the D-F logo; also if I go into the online auction thread/listing for some reason), but annoying.

It still doesn't play particularly nicely with Tapatalk; half the time I tap a thread to go to the latest reply and I just end up with a blank screen.

15. Jananananana

Jananananana Active Member

I'm really glad these issues are getting looked into.
    I'm attaching a screenshot of what my drop down looks like ...womp womp....

Attached Files:

• DF.jpg
      DF.jpg
      File size:
      66 KB
      Views:
  16. pygmalion

Impressive, I have to say. ;)

17. mindputtee

mindputtee Well-Known Member

I'm getting a strange formatting issue when my window is smaller than a certain size it looks like this. Is this something fixable or only solvable by having the window big?

Attached Files:

18. Lioness

FWIW, techie people, usually when I do get the "server did not respond in time" error, I get logged out straight away.

Don't know if that helps...

19. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

let me again put in a good word for google chrome...since I switched to this browser my internet life is infinitely better....everywhere...but particularly on df

20. mindputtee

mindputtee Well-Known Member

I forgot to mention, I am using google chrome (for mac).