Hey Everybody!!! Forum Software Upgrade in the Works

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by DanceMentor, Aug 22, 2012.

1. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

It may not be a bad thing... spammers like to use their sig line as a way to post links. This way no one gets to have a signature until they pass our litmus test, and we flip the switch for them personally.
  2. DL

DL Well-Known Member

If it's a good thing for that reason, then you have my sympathy for that reason rather than for my original reason. :)
  3. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Yeah. It's hard. But these spammers are smart (a lot of them, but by no means all) and seem to have unlimited time to spend on trying to damage websites that are doing them no harm. So, if a few safety features have to be put into place, i understand.

That's what the refresh prohibition was in the old software. A should-be-unnecessary-but-wasn't-unnecessary workaround (Aside: Never did understand why so many people seemed to get worked up over not being able to use that one word in the English language. Last time I checked, there were hundreds of thousands of words in English. What's the biggie? Use a synonym or break it up. Easy. But that's just me.)

As I see it, software has weak spots. Period. Different software. Different weak spots. I think it's wise of system admin types to understand what the weak spots are as much and as soon as possible and to put protective measures in place.
  4. DL

DL Well-Known Member

I just realized that I can now easily reply to multiple posts. If I hit the "reply" button for each, each is quoted in turn, in the composition window:

5. pygmalion

Very cool! Thanks for pointing that out.

I guess embedded quotes are a thing of the past, though. At least, I haven't figured out how to do them. Pity. They came in handy, from time to time.
  6. DL

DL Well-Known Member

It requires manual cut-n-paste.

7. pygmalion

Ah. Nice. I will use that. Thanks.
  8. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

w00t!
    j_alexandra likes this.
  9. pygmalion

Darn it! I liked Don't start no stuff; won't be no stuff.
  10. pygmalion

I'm probably the only dingdong who didn't already know this, but when you get an alert that someone likes one of your posts, there's a link in the alert that takes you directly to that post. Very cool.

Also very happy that the "report" button has been moved away from the reply and edit buttons.
  11. mindputtee

mindputtee Well-Known Member

Hmm... I don't see a report button. Where is it on yours?
  12. pygmalion

At the very bottom of each posting window. For example, the line at the bottom of your post immediately above this one says (from left to right) Or something very similar.

mindputtee Today at 10:07 PM Report (large space) #371 Like Reply

Or something very similar.
  13. DL

DL Well-Known Member

I don't see that either.

Is it a difference between "active member" and "well-known member"?
  14. pygmalion

I had a feeling there might be some weirdness with the report button. *sigh* ETA: And I know I'm stating the probably obvious, but you have to be logged in to see the report button.

Yes. There is a difference between New Member, Member, Active Member and Well Known Member. I haven't yet been able to figure out what the difference is, though.

With the old software, your forum title was determined strictly by your number of posts. With this new software, your title appears to be related to your current rate of posting, regardless of total post count. So, for example, there are a couple of DFers who were very active in the past and who have well over ten thousand posts each, but who are currently categorized as New Members because they haven't posted here in quite some time. But people with far fewer posts who are currently active are either Active Members or Well Known Members.

I find it very confusing.
  15. raindance

raindance Active Member

What it looks like to me is that anyone that hasn't posted since the transition to the new software gets listed as "new member" by the new system, regardless of how much they posted before. Once they post again, it seems to me that they get categorized appropriately (new vs active vs well known, etc).
  16. DL

DL Well-Known Member

I think you misread my post. What I was wondering was whether users in different categories saw different views, such as the presence or absence of a "report" button.
  17. GGinrhinestones

GGinrhinestones Well-Known Member

Hm...I've never noticed it before, but I don't have a "report" button either.
  18. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

I appear to be report-less as well. Or the button has gone and done a Waldo.
  19. samina

samina Well-Known Member

I'm a "well-known member" and dont have the Report button, at least not with the device and browser I'm currently using.
  20. samina

samina Well-Known Member

Maybe it's activated by a personal setting...?